Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

I suppose it depends where you live. I don't see smokers

being anything other than considerate to those around them.

Second hand smoke is bothersome, other social vices can also be tiresome, costly to society, and dangerous. 

One thing is undoubtedly true- puritanism is an insidious social problem.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, racket said:

Meanwhile over 26,000 people will die on the roads of Thailand this year... let’s just focus on not doing anything about it. 

According to the fact that tobacco kills about 3,5times more annually it seems that they have focus on the right spot....

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/272690/wntd_2018_thailand_fs.pdf;jsessionid=C666BF41DACF157842A9885AB62AAB0C?sequence=1

15 hours ago, transam said:

In the UK they banned smoking in pubs etc, but you could stand outside and have a puff, in this case it seems you have to stand in the middle of the road..????

Together with all the foul pollution that is even more detrimental to your health, but belched out daily by almost 90% of Thai vehicles!

15 hours ago, pmh2009 said:

So what's next... prohibiting  of laughter???

Let's wait for the first Chinese tourist sentenced to 5 years in jail for smoking in a public park, while feeding pigeons, and laughing about 'government' statements in an editorial of indexed newspaper about new safety measures for tourists.

15 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Look forward to watching this unfold. Who is going to police this? The only coppers I ever see are those at the side of the super highway trying to fine as many farang as possible. Not once have a seen a Bobby on the beat.

Remember what happened when they tried to stop people riding in the back of pickups over a 7 day period lol? This country will never change until the stubborn older generations, with little common sense pass on 

Will be impossible to enforce unfortunately , as a smoke hater id love to see smoking banned everywhere , smokers really have no idea how annoying it is to have to put up with people blowing their stinking horrible smoke all over u ,smokers all seem to think this is perfectly ok which of course it isnt,  it amazes me that more non smokers dont make a stand and tell smokers how disgusting smoke is , everyone knows that smoke is likely to cause serious  illness and yet smokers are free to blow smoke over non smokers every day and what makes it even worse is that most smokers seem to think that they have some right to do this !! So <deleted> up 

11 hours ago, fasteddie said:

''Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.''

Sir Richard Doll, the man credited with making the connection between smoking and cancer, when asked on the BBC how he would feel about sitting in a room full of smokers replied he wouldn't give it another thought the risk being so minimal.

Maybe Sir Richard Dolls answer may be quite different now (if he were still alive) that statistics show that if you are a non smoker and live with a smoker you are 30% more likely of developing lung cancer. Not so minimal after all.

I feel like they'd better tell us where we CAN smoke.

Instead of focusing on where we can't.

No public area?

My condo forbids smoking too.

Well, guys, that's finally a good reason to stop smoking.????????????

16 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Stay on topic! Plenty of road death threads

You think dying of second hand smoke is a good thing?

Do you seriously claim that you will die from briefly inhaling diluted second hand smoke from people smoking outside buildings? And that this is a bigger health risk than traffic pollution in big cities?

16 hours ago, CLW said:

Just implementing rules others developed countries have introduced since a few years.
I'm not against smoking, it is everyone's decision but I don't like the smell.

Laws are getting tougher in Australia with smoking in some public places which is a very good thing, I can't stand the smell and it annoys me when you walk out of a shopping centre and people are smoking close to door ways, it stinks and gives me head spins walking through the disgusting secondhand smoke, ban it in all public areas would be a very good thing.

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

There are not too many studies for second hand smoke outside, but there are some. It has been proven that there are little or no risks to second hand smoke 6 feet or more away due to its dissipation in the air. The toxicity of the second hand smoke falls very quickly. So, why 5 metres? Remember we are talking about protection of non smokers but you must also consider the people who do smoke and be fair and level minded.

If someone does not obey the law then they are fined right? So no need to keep extending laws. In my view it is emotional response rather then fair or level headed and its certainly not based on any science. 

In that case you can just take the terrible smell of cigarette smoke. Only that should be a lawful reason to ban a smoker from being more than 5 meter close to a non smoker.

16 hours ago, doremifasol said:

Kudos on promoting public health, but ........but..........

will I get arrested if I  sang "I am sexy and I know it"? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Ask HappyAndRich. He may well say that singing that song is having a negative effect on the country's youth, so yes, you will be arrested.

16 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Look forward to watching this unfold. Who is going to police this? The only coppers I ever see are those at the side of the super highway trying to fine as many farang as possible. Not once have a seen a Bobby on the beat.

Who is going to police this? I bet this will work out really well! Think of policeman asking for 5,000 bath fine or 3,000-1,000 bath tea money from every offender. Specially when they are out drinking and the pocket money runs low..

3 minutes ago, DLock said:

Smokers be like...but, but, but...

Just create little glass smoking rooms all over Bangkok so they can stank each other out, while we can laugh at them....all yellow and stinky.

I reckon there are more drinkers that are yellow and stinky than smokers in LOS...????

8 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Cannot come too soon.

In a few years stats are going to come out on health effects and stuff like litter in these cities. I am just guessing that they are going to be pretty positive. I can't see how every city isn't going to see those stats and consider changing. 

Archived