Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

It has been proven that there are little or no risks to second hand smoke 6 feet or more away due to its dissipation in the air. The toxicity of the second hand smoke falls very quickly. So, why 5 metres? Remember we are talking about protection of non smokers but you must also consider the people who do smoke and be fair and level minded.

Smokers like to forget that smoke, especially from cigarettes, also smells bad.

If you are a non smoker and leave a place where right outside of the door is a bigger group of people who are smoking you feel like you can hardly breath, so the 5 meters make sense.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

next, we won't be able to say the word smoke or beer, so we'll have to use code words. Perhaps use the word 'queer'!  I fancy popping out for a queer. or I feel like having a queer or perhaps, I need a queer! or worst I just had a suck of a queer round the back of the yard!

1 hour ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Remember what happened when they tried to stop people riding in the back of pickups over a 7 day period lol? This country will never change until the stubborn older generations, with little common sense pass on 

If you go to "Thai places" serving food you hardly ever see a Thai smoking, obviously they respect the rules regarding smoking.

On the other hand you regularly see farangs smoking at "farang places" serving food, so they seem to have problems to follow the law.

While some forum members seem to focus on the beer/cigarette/environment issues I see smoking as something else. It is most definitely an addiction...those who have tried to stop or have stopped the habit know full well. Beer can be addictive but I would think the amount of alcohol addiction (alcoholics) is far less than those who smoke. What I'm saying, is that in some sense smokers are a slave to the addiction to to stop smoking could only mean a plus by taking more control over one's life.

Having said that,  I do agree with others here that aren't there more pressing priorities here? And who is going to enforce this law? Or maybe BJ will extend his long 'overstay' arm to include those naughty foreigners who smoke inside the limit. Yeah, pull the other one eh? (incidentally I don't smoke and am TT, ha!)

38 minutes ago, Jimbo1964 said:

How about targetting the pollution from all the diesel buses, pickup and alike. What about them. They are far worse for your health!

It is very diffucult to get away from using diesel fuel in one form or other.Without diesel fuel sigarettes could not be distributed along with everything else.

Besides, this topic is about non smoking laws but as usual people use diesel as an argument,usually this comes from smokers.

I do not wish to inhale tabacco smoke while out having a meal some where,i do not care even weather it affects my health or not,it stinks and so do the people who smoke it!!

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

There are not too many studies for second hand smoke outside, but there are some. It has been proven that there are little or no risks to second hand smoke 6 feet or more away due to its dissipation in the air. The toxicity of the second hand smoke falls very quickly. So, why 5 metres? Remember we are talking about protection of non smokers but you must also consider the people who do smoke and be fair and level minded.

If someone does not obey the law then they are fined right? So no need to keep extending laws. In my view it is emotional response rather then fair or level headed and its certainly not based on any science. 

"There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke."

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm

Those are the assertions scientists are making. Now, you may not agree with them, but I ask you, what if a person does choose to believe and follow their guidelines? In other words, no problem if you eant to tell the scientists they are wrong, for yourself. But you should not get to decide that for other people. 

17 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

No, it´s not any facts on that laughing has a bad effect on your fellow humans.

Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.

Why, if you drink beer, it´s not affecting somebody else. If you can hold your liquer, that will say. if you can´t, beers of the table.

This old chestnut ! I can't see it ever being enforced here in any case.

If you're in an area (indoor) like a restaurant / cafe perhaps, where people don't want to be affected by the smell of smoke, (particularly if eating) you should of course have the good grace and respect to not impose on them. If you're outside (and particularly in a town or city) it is 100% fair game. Do you honestly imagine that the tiniest wisp of tobacco smoke floating over you is going to have any affect on you or anyone else? When you juxtapose this inane notion with the FACT that in any medium to large city or heavily industrial town, you are exposed to soooo many more chemicals from automotive pollution and burning of fossil fuels for industry, power generation etc. everyday, when outdoors. 

The idea that 2nd hand smoke is a killer is not one that has been proven either, far from it. Like I said, being outdoors is fair game - ESPECIALLY in an urban environment. Disposing of your butts responsibly is the more salient issue - especially if you're in a vulnerable environment - like at the beach / when at sea.

This is just another way to control people and impinge on our civil liberties. Those who celebrate the encroachment by the state on our personal freedoms are either myopic in the extreme or establishment shills , or perhaps both.

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you go to "Thai places" serving food you hardly ever see a Thai smoking, obviously they respect the rules regarding smoking.

On the other hand you regularly see farangs smoking at "farang places" serving food, so they seem to have problems to follow the law.

The law has just be suggested, back in Western nations this exact law has passed years ago, and is still in effect today; successfully. 

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

It is very diffucult to get away from using diesel fuel in one form or other.Without diesel fuel sigarettes could not be distributed along with everything else.

Besides, this topic is about non smoking laws but as usual people use diesel as an argument,usually this comes from smokers.

I do not wish to inhale tabacco smoke while out having a meal some where,i do not care even weather it affects my health or not,it stinks and so do the people who smoke it!!

This argument comes up a lot. It is the same as when a politician gets in a tough spot for doing something, and all his supporters have to say is "remember when ________ did something worse". 

It is a very deceptive way to argue because it has nothing to do with the issue at hand. It is just a way to deflect criticism. It is not even an actual argument. 

1 minute ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

The law has just be suggested, back in Western nations this exact law has passed years ago, and is still in effect today; successfully. 

Thailand currently has a law already prohibiting to smoke at places serving food. The new law just extends this law to other places and adds a 5m radius to the entrances.

17 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

No, it´s not any facts on that laughing has a bad effect on your fellow humans.

Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.

Why, if you drink beer, it´s not affecting somebody else. If you can hold your liquer, that will say. if you can´t, beers of the table.

OK, if this your ridiculous little World, who cares????????????????????

Damn happy that almost fifteen years ago I kicked a more than forty year 25 - 50 cigarettes a day smoking habit..     Hardest thing I have done...nicotine is so damned addictive.

But now I dont miss them.... and never get the urge anymore..   I also have a much better sense of taste and smell now....    Used to get bronchitis a couple times a year that would last more than a month.  Could not run a block without running out of breath..  

Now I have not had bronchitis in almost fifteen years.... can run faster without running out of breath....  no more smoker cough...  

Last chest x-ray and scan two months ago........  perfectly clear... clean bill of health ????       

i can only call them sick...........

but  not only here.... what happend since the beginning of the new century ,  sick laws  all over the world.  not only over smoking.

llve getting more and more shity  for the normal people across the word

you must be a millionaer  for avoiding all this shit........ even in singapore you can smoke as a millionaer in nearly ALL FIVE STAR HOTELS ........... but you cant find a 3 star hotel where you can smoke

if youre a millionaer   you fnd loopholes   for tax avvation or even the law favours you, in case you a worker ..you get the shit again

all over same same

10 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

This old chestnut !

If you're in an area (indoor) like a restaurant / cafe perhaps, where people don't want to be affected by the smell of smoke, (particularly if eating) you should of course have the good grace and respect to not impose on them. If you're outside (and particularly in a town or city) it is 100% fair game. Do you honestly imagine that the tiniest wisp of tobacco smoke floating over you is going to have any affect on you or anyone else? When you juxtapose this facile notion with the FACT that in any medium large city or heavily industrial town, you are exposed to soooo many more chemicals from automotive pollution and burning of fossil fuels for industry, power generation etc. It's laughable - IF we're talking about being outside areas.

The idea that 2nd hand smoke is a killer is not one that has been proven either, far from it. Like I said, being outdoors is fair game - ESPECIALLY in an urban environment. Disposing of your butts responsibly is more of a salient issue - especially if you're in a vulnerable environment - like close to the sea.

This is just another way to control people and impinge on our civil liberties. Those who celebrate the encroachment by the state on our personal freedoms are either myopic in the extreme or establishment shills , or perhaps both.

In my estimation, you need to explian or argue, why someone would take your word over the science. Why should someone listen to you, over the scientists if they are trying to do what is best for their health and family's health? 

"There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke."

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm

You can write them and tell them to change that wording if you would like, but to say "secondhand cig smoke will have no affect on you" is a position that is false based on the scientists recommendations. Again, why should we listen to you and not them, that is the point you must address. 

7 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Damn happy that almost fifteen years ago I kicked a more than forty year 25 - 50 cigarettes a day smoking habit..     Hardest thing I have done...nicotine is so damned addictive.

But now I dont miss them.... and never get the urge anymore..   I also have a much better sense of taste and smell now....   

That is part of the reason that smokers don't realize the stench they are responsible for.

That, and they are used to smelling like an ashtray so for them the awful smell is normal.

5 meters is much too close for a smoker to be to anyone with functioning nasal passages.

Steve Martin said that when someone asks "Do you mind if I smoke?", he responds "No. Do you mind if I fart?"

One word:
(non)enforcement

Thailand has all sorts of laws on the books. Take a look at traffic laws.  The laws mean nothing. Why?
(non)enforcement

Actually, when the cop need to make money, it will become selective enforcement.  Everything else is a bad joke.

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thailand currently has a law already prohibiting to smoke at places serving food. The new law just extends this law to other places and adds a 5m radius to the entrances.

I've lived here 8 years and I didn't even know that; then again I don't smoke. 
The issue then is down to a failure to enforce the law and make it known to the public. 

17 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Look forward to watching this unfold. Who is going to police this? The only coppers I ever see are those at the side of the super highway trying to fine as many farang as possible. Not once have a seen a Bobby on the beat.

Last Friday of the month, there's dozen at  most intersections.

17 hours ago, pmh2009 said:

So what's next... prohibiting  of laughter???

Haha no, I'll be laughing at the slaves to their addiction that will rather gather by a dumpster than go without their drug for 5 hours.  Your freedom to swing your cigarette ends where my lungs begin mate!  Cheers.  

43 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Smokers like to forget that smoke, especially from cigarettes, also smells bad.

If you are a non smoker and leave a place where right outside of the door is a bigger group of people who are smoking you feel like you can hardly breath, so the 5 meters make sense.

" you feel like you can hardly breath"  ?!?   For 5 seconds. You must be  ill  already. Better go and see a doctor and stop moving around in the trafic !

30 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

OK, if this your ridiculous little World, who cares????????????????????

Looks like I am not alone. Ask yourself why they are starting talking about new laws and rules. Take a guess. Is that because of that majority thinks like you, or the majority thinks like me? Still laughing hysterically, without any concept of reality?

44 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Nice to read that you really are so confused that you believe you have the right to blow your smoke in the same place as non smokers.

Archived