Oscar Sardines from Tops, but where else can you buy them ?

l4ml4m

hi, do you know the Oscar sardines ?

They are sold at Tops but hard to find and not always available:

https://www.tops.co.th/en/king-oscar-brisling-sardines-extra-virgin-olive-oil-two-layer-106g-0034800002001

Have you seen them anywhere else ?

They really are the best Sardines that I have ever tried, and if you don't know what are good sardines, you should try them, they cannot compare with any Thai zhit sardines sold here.

Enjoy !

Not only Oscar sardines but Oscar mackerel in tomato sauce. 109 baht. Great on sandwiches. Tastes just like my favorite back home in Norway. You can buy them at Tops and Central foodmarket, also Best supermarket in Pattaya.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, balo said:

Not only Oscar sardines but Oscar mackerel in tomato sauce. 109 baht. Great on sandwiches. Tastes just like my favorite back home in Norway. You can buy them at Tops and Central foodmarket, also Best supermarket in Pattaya.

yes, and sardine in olive oil is the healthiest fish in the world.

I do not eat zhit thai fish anymore, I let them for people who enjoy dying in pain ????

• Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, balo said:

King Oscar is purchased by Thai Union Group, a global leader in the canned seafood industry committed to King Oscar’s continued growth and success.

I was just curious where they were caught or farmed and canned and found it interesting that Thai Union Group owns the company.

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ricklev said:

I was just curious where they were caught or farmed and canned and found it interesting that Thai Union Group owns the company.

Yes interesting history that made them world famous. 

"The King Oscar export brand was founded in 1902, when King Oscar II, King of Norway and Sweden, gave Chr. Bjelland & Co (no), one of Norway's leading canning companies at the time, special royal permission to use his name and likeness on a line of sardine products.

Over the years, the King Oscar brand expanded into new markets, introduced new product lines, and was eventually acquired by several different parent companies as the sardine canning industry evolved in Norway. Today, King Oscar AS is owned by Thai Union Group, one of the largest seafood producers in the world."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ricklev said:

King Oscar is purchased by Thai Union Group, a global leader in the canned seafood industry committed to King Oscar’s continued growth and success.

But still caught in EU.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, l4ml4m said:

yes, and sardine in olive oil is the healthiest fish in the world.

Perhaps, but not suitable if you have kidney problems or gout as sardines and mackerel are very high on the list of foods to be avoided. Check the salt content, pretty high as well.

My local supermarket must have at least fifty types of tinned sardines and mackerel but only one tin of sardines in olive oil (Ayam brand, good). Almost all the rest are smothered in sweet tomato sauce. I used to love King Oscar sardines as a kid but off the menu for me now sadly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:53 PM, kkerry said:

Perhaps, but not suitable if you have kidney problems or gout as sardines and mackerel are very high on the list of foods to be avoided. Check the salt content, pretty high as well.

My local supermarket must have at least fifty types of tinned sardines and mackerel but only one tin of sardines in olive oil (Ayam brand, good). Almost all the rest are smothered in sweet tomato sauce. I used to love King Oscar sardines as a kid but off the menu for me now sadly.

I would even eat the Ayam if it was free. Only eating EU imported sardines cans, any others are disgusting.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

They are the only ones I can eat,won't buy the Thai ones,could 

infected with worms, they are the only ones that do not "repeat"

on me later, like the John West, the taste comes back in your

mouth a couple of hours after you have eaten them, i believe on

the can it says caught in Norway, packed in Poland.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, farangfoo said:

Hi, I realise this is an old post but you can buy them from Paleo Robbie. I buy all my steaks from them and tried Oscar sardines in my last order, he sells good products

is paleo your shop ?

On 1/24/2020 at 10:12 AM, worgeordie said:

They are the only ones I can eat,won't buy the Thai ones,could 

infected with worms, they are the only ones that do not "repeat"

on me later, like the John West, the taste comes back in your

mouth a couple of hours after you have eaten them, i believe on

the can it says caught in Norway, packed in Poland.

regards worgeordie

Norway?

Not from EU then.

If your TOPS are out, try another TOPS

try Bei Otto in Sukh Soi 20 (BKK) or Foodland or Villa Market

Have seen BigC wit such as well

the stock vary a lot between the shops

the more you hunt and look the hungrier you get and become able to down a heap of those fishes ..

step on it

• Thanks 1