Video: Tragedy as mother dies in front of her children in narrow Chiang Mai soi

snoop1130

Video: Tragedy as mother dies in front of her children in narrow Chiang Mai soi

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUxMy83NTY1OTk4LzExLmpwZw==.jpg

Dash cam footage showed what happened when a mother with her two children on a motor cycle turned right in Patan Soi 5 in Muang district of Chiang Mai.

A black car overtaking on the right collided with the turning bike. 

The car with its 60 year old driver stopped 50 meters down the road as locals rushed to help the stricken family. 

Thaninsa, 32, died from her injuries. 

The two children - a boy and a girl - survived and are out of danger. 

The footage from the accident came from the dash cam of the car following and was posted on Facebook on the page of "Tua Lek Pramuan"

Source: https://www.sanook.com/news/7565998/

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-6

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the video...  the bike was riding correctly, indicating... 

The driver of car which overtook both another car then hit the turning bike needs to be charged with murder & locked up.... 

No sympathy if the driver receives the worst possible sentence, there are no mitigation circumstances here.

The poor kids lost their Mum for nothing. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The driver of car which overtook both another car then hit the turning bike needs to be charged with murder & locked up.... 

No sympathy if the driver receives the worst possible sentence, there are no mitigation circumstances here.

Totally agree.

Poor kids :(  

1 minute ago, poanoi said:

unusually, she signaled well in advance, and even with the correct indicator, its entirely the car drivers fault

I agree wholeheartedly but a quick glance in the mirror of the bike carrying 3 people and no helmets may have saved her life. Although I suspect even if she did look, she couldn't see, as there were three people on the bike.

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

I agree wholeheartedly but a quick glance in the mirror of the bike carrying 3 people and no helmets may have saved her life. Although I suspect even if she did look, she couldn't see, as there were three people on the bike.

This is yet another example of the car being 100% in the wrong but the motorcyclist pays the ultimate price... and the children were VERY lucky to have survived just badly shaken.

A glance in the mirror could have saved her life, but in this situation, it's better to make the lifesaving look over the shoulder. 

I was taught to use the mirror to keep an eye on what's behind you, but an actual look over the shoulder before changing lanes could be a lifesaver.  Whether she would have been expecting some <deleted> idiot to be overtaking at that location is another matter.

A warning to us all who ride here. 

And the driver should be strung up, IMO.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The charge should be ''Causing death by dangerous driving''.   Murder is pre-meditated so you can't charge him with that.  In this country he will be charged with 'Reckless Driving' and will escape going to Prison, or any serious punishment for that matter....if he ever gets to Court in about three years time !

RIP the Innocent Lady.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The charge should be ''Causing death by dangerous driving''.   Murder is pre-meditated so you can't charge him with that.  In this country he will be charged with 'Reckless Driving' and will escape going to Prison, or any serious punishment for that matter....if he ever gets to Court in about three years time !

RIP the Innocent Lady.

Yep.. the semantics / legal terms are understood.... 

....however, this is tantamount to murder...  taking such unfathomable risk involving a degree of inevitability that someone is hurt or killed...

The person should be locked up for life, everybody was travelling at a steady pace until this 60 year old moron decides him want to be first typical Thai. my betting is he/she doesn't possess a valid driver licence.

1. Wear a helmet...especially for your kids.

2. Look over your shoulder to see if it is safe to turn. But in this case, looking over your shoulder shows you your entire immediate family. 

3. Don't ride tour motorbike illegally with three people on and no helmets. Were they even wearing shoes?

5 minutes ago, soistalker said:

1. Wear a helmet...especially for your kids.

2. Look over your shoulder to see if it is safe to turn. But in this case, looking over your shoulder shows you your entire immediate family. 

3. Don't ride tour motorbike illegally with three people on and no helmets. Were they even wearing shoes?

All good sensible advice that won't help if an impatient idiot launches a 1 ton killing machine at you (I have a motorcycle).

Heartbreaking. Wear a helmet...always. I don't know the facts but I saw the dash cam vid and the kids look relatively ok. I think the mother must have hit her head. A helmet would have saved her life....I assume. Check your mirrors before turning. I often forget. I was thinking....I'll bet a lot of bad driving of cars here comes from the fact that most people probably learn on a scooter first. And then when they get a car continue to do maneuvers as if still on a scooter. Things that you can get away with on a scooter, for the most part, but not in a car.

RIP...so saddened by this tragedy.

Very sad indeed ???? The soon they start to realise that you can’t carry the whole family on board of a motorcycle without helmets more lives will be saved on thai roads.

As for the moron selfish and careless driver, should be locked up on the spot ! Then again, mishaps like these happen on a regular basis in Thailand until they get some proper driving skills education and skills, way too inept drivers  public dangers on the roads no matter the size of the veichle ????????‍♂️

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hard to beleive you can watch that video and not notice the motorcyclist not even glancing backward.  Neither driver could be held faultless in this trajedy.   Plus, NO helmets on any of the three on the motorcycle.....sad to say that in Thailand the lack of any kind of training or law enforcement causes a great majority of accidents/deaths

that could be avoided.

52 minutes ago, TGIR said:

Hard to beleive you can watch that video and not notice the motorcyclist not even glancing backward.  Neither driver could be held faultless in this trajedy.   Plus, NO helmets on any of the three on the motorcycle.....sad to say that in Thailand the lack of any kind of training or law enforcement causes a great majority of accidents/deaths

that could be avoided.

no, the bike driver was driving by the book,

i seldom see such care being taken tbh, flawless driving.

it would be different if she didnt position herself,

if she didnt signal in a timely manner,

but she did everything to the highest standard

19 minutes ago, poanoi said:

no, the bike driver was driving by the book,

i seldom see such care being taken tbh, flawless driving.

it would be different if she didnt position herself,

if she didnt signal in a timely manner,

but she did everything to the highest standard

What? Three on a bike, no helmets. If that is what you consider the highest standard you've been in Thailand far too long.

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What? Three on a bike, no helmets. If that is what you consider the highest standard you've been in Thailand far too long.

that did not impede on her driving protocol

and did not contribute to the collision in the slightest

She was on the crown of the road, the correct position for turning right.  She may have looked in her mirror but the priority was to take note of oncoming traffic.  She was not changing lanes as someone pointed out, she was about to cross a lane going the opposite way.  The driver of the car was indeed reckless attempting an overtake on such a road especially where there was a soi on the right.

Helmets may well have saved her life but other than that she was driving unusually correctly.  Her driving never contributed to the 'accident'.  RIP and I hope the kids get looked after.

Watching the video it is clear the prat driving the car was 100% to blame for this tragic accident.

Motorbike rider was doing everything correctly.

Only fault of the bike rider and pillions..... No helmets, but a helmet would probably not saved the poor lady.

Car was being driven too fast, overtaking without looking, going by the video, it appears the car following the bike was slowing, so brake lights must have been seen.

Sad so very sad, my heart goes out to the poor kids, R.I.P. far too young to die.

totally car driver's fault. a moment of impatience can be very costly, while a few seconds of patience can save a lifetime of misery for both parties. a helmet though could have prevented the mother's death. RIP. i hope the kids still have relatives to look after them.

I have found a degree of reduced frustration by removing the word ‘why’ from my vocabulary here. However, I still can’t fathom the way thais drive like they are late for life saving brain surgery (probably DIY) yet walk like they are heading to their own funeral. As (a wild generalisation I admit) around 99% of them have nothing to do, or intend to do nothing, once they get wherever it is they are going, I just don’t get the rushing in a car thing.

14 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

I have found a degree of reduced frustration by removing the word ‘why’ from my vocabulary here. However, I still can’t fathom the way thais drive like they are late for life saving brain surgery (probably DIY) yet walk like they are heading to their own funeral. As (a wild generalisation I admit) around 99% of them have nothing to do, or intend to do nothing, once they get wherever it is they are going, I just don’t get the rushing in a car thing.

I agree. I am constantly telling my wife we aren't in a hurry when she gets frustrated at being behind a slow vehicle. (I absolutely refuse to drive here. I don't have the temperament to face so many idiots).

A few moments before the crash there was a solid yellow line on the road, very hard to see if it was still solid near the crash site, but I suspect it still was. A real tragedy and criminal behavior on the part of the driver. The useless need to overtake to get ahead on this road with this amount of traffic because someone is in hurry.

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I agree. I am constantly telling my wife we aren't in a hurry when she gets frustrated at being behind a slow vehicle. (I absolutely refuse to drive here. I don't have the temperament to face so many idiots).

I take the opposite track... I only want to be the one driving here (where possible), I know I'm always paying attention and can be the one who reacts (safely) when these idiots do something silly... 

Archived