Video: Tragedy as mother dies in front of her children in narrow Chiang Mai soi

snoop1130

Love how the people gather around to offer assistance. Oh wait. not in this video.
Gawd, the idiocy of these people turns my stomach.
Oh yeah... this road is crawling with ambulance techs, nurses and doctors heading home. What assistance do you suggest these folks offer in the 15seconds of aftermath video we witnessed?

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wcoast said:

A few moments before the crash there was a solid yellow line on the road, very hard to see if it was still solid near the crash site, but I suspect it still was. A real tragedy and criminal behavior on the part of the driver. The useless need to overtake to get ahead on this road with this amount of traffic because someone is in hurry.

Looking at a couple of still photos in the "sanook" link, it appears the solid line had finished, not that this was any excuse.

The road had just straightened out after a sweeping left hand band, and the car driver was clearly frustrated at being stuck behind the dash-cam car for quite some time. The dash-cam car (or truck) was clearly slowing to allow the M/C to turn right when the black car overtook - you can hear it "revving" in the original video. 

I'm not making excuses for the car driver (who did at least stop and walk back to the scene of the accident, rather than doing a runner), but having watched the video repeatedly, and seeing the cam-car slow down without signaling right I can understand why he overtook - although not why so fast.  It was probable he was looking further ahead for oncoming traffic and not expecting someone to cut in front of him. 

With the speed of the overtaking car, even if the M/C had looked over her shoulder she may still not have been able to avoid being hit.

I've seen many similar overtaking moves here, and this time it was unlucky that the m/c was turning right.

There's definitely lessons to be learned here whether as a M/C, or the car driver, or even the cam-car driver who perhaps could have moved more towards the centre of the road to "protect" the M/C, even though the natural response would be to pull toward the left (in doing so to "encourage" the following car to overtake).

Until the day those motorcycle rider starts valuing their own lives as well as their passengers ( via lmproved lifestyle and education)

things will not improve. You can see in thailand basically those ,in the lower economic bracket, use motorcycles. Farangs who ride as a passion may be excused. 

Old man not to blame for death of teacher the kids called "angel", say locals

4pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Locals and people connected to a Chiang Mai kindergarten have strong suspicions that an old man is not responsible for the death of a teacher who her pupils called an angel. 

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1067112-old-man-not-to-blame-for-death-of-teacher-the-kids-called-angel-say-locals/

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

seeing the cam-car slow down without signaling right I can understand why he overtook - although not why so fast.  It was probable he was looking further ahead for oncoming traffic and not expecting someone to cut in front of him. 

With the speed of the overtaking car, even if the M/C had looked over her shoulder she may still not have been able to avoid being hit.

The cam car slowed and kept left for an opportunity to overtake the bike (on the left) incase the bike needed to stop to give way to oncoming traffic.

People saying she should look over her right shoulder, she was probably watching oncoming traffic in order to turn right. Who expects a car overtaking on the wrong side of the road to take you out.

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Until the day those motorcycle rider starts valuing their own lives as well as their passengers ( via lmproved lifestyle and education)

things will not improve. You can see in thailand basically those ,in the lower economic bracket, use motorcycles. Farangs who ride as a passion may be excused. 

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.

Of course those people in a lower income bracket ride motorcycles. It is not easy to afford a BMW or an SUV on 300 baht a day.

In many cases it is the only family transport and used by the family for going to the market, going to work, taking the kids to school and back.

Last week it was suggested Thailand introduces a new body based on Viet Nam's examples to reduce accidents.

Nothing is ever going to work here when you have totally idiot drivers like that car driver. Thailand has let too many drivers on to the roads, after years of poor or non existent driving test standards. There's no road sense here whatever.

3 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Never, ever take children on scooter or motorbike in Thailand (or anywhere else)

Are you listening, the stupid Westerners here that do?

Obviously written by a western person with money, own car and living in an area of plenty of public transport.

Try living in rural Thailand on a Thai wage of 300 baht a day and no public transport and get your kids to school, get to work, get to the market etc.

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

...but having watched the video repeatedly, and seeing the cam-car slow down without signaling right I can understand why he overtook...

That's scary. That's what the casual assimilation of Thailand's innate bad and dangerous driving habits leads to. The blind dodge and weave without considering WHY the car in front is slowing down. Seen it many times where the first reaction on seeing the stop lights coming on in front of you is NOT to brake, not even lift the foot off the accelerator, but to recklessly shoot-the-gap. Fatal.

9 hours ago, TGIR said:

Hard to beleive you can watch that video and not notice the motorcyclist not even glancing backward.  Neither driver could be held faultless in this trajedy.   Plus, NO helmets on any of the three on the motorcycle.....sad to say that in Thailand the lack of any kind of training or law enforcement causes a great majority of accidents/deaths

that could be avoided.

Perhaps the motorcycle driver could have  done an additional precaution  such as  backward glancing  when making her legal  turn  but I fail to understand how the essence of your post could imply the motorcycle  driver was at fault for this accident.   

I find your post callous and I wish you'd reconsider your words.

10 hours ago, TGIR said:

Hard to beleive you can watch that video and not notice the motorcyclist not even glancing backward.  Neither driver could be held faultless in this trajedy.   Plus, NO helmets on any of the three on the motorcycle.....sad to say that in Thailand the lack of any kind of training or law enforcement causes a great majority of accidents/deaths

that could be avoided.

What's harder to believe is that you think that most other motorcyclists stay alive by 'glancing backward' when doing any change of direction with indicators or otherwise. If you drive here for any length of time and pay attention to the behavior of the greater number of 2-wheelers, they will change lanes, merge and even stop WITHOUT checking what's behind them. They work on the flawed premise that the other driver has seen them and will thus be able to accommodate them in their mutual forward progress. Keep in mind that in the unfortunate event of a collision, there's the time-inculcated belief in some unwritten law that the larger vehicle will always be held responsible which prevails whether they die or not. Never forget, they probably also have amulets.

The lack of helmets and having 3-up is not and can never be the root cause of this accident.

But you are getting close to defining the root cause when you acknowledge the sad lack of law enforcement.

6 hours ago, steve73 said:

It was probable he was looking further ahead for oncoming traffic and not expecting someone to cut in front of him.

A Thai driver looking ahead? You have GOT to be kidding me.

It was probable he was looking further ahead for oncoming traffic shooting the gap in the perpetually dangerous 'me first' move and not expecting someone to cut in front of him overtaking blindly with total disregard to anything else on the road.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Obviously written by a western person with money, own car and living in an area of plenty of public transport.

Try living in rural Thailand on a Thai wage of 300 baht a day and no public transport and get your kids to school, get to work, get to the market etc.

The excuses made by lazy stupid people. 

There are Westerners out there living on 300 baht a day? You see many Western morons with kids on a PCX or whatever. 

They might regret it if this story happens to them, quite possible on Thai roads, and their kid is bolognese sauce on the road in front of them. 

4 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Last week it was suggested Thailand introduces a new body based on Viet Nam's examples to reduce accidents.

Nothing is ever going to work here when you have totally idiot drivers like that car driver. Thailand has let too many drivers on to the roads, after years of poor or non existent driving test standards. There's no road sense here whatever.

Don't know what talking head was suggesting the 'Vietnam model' as something to aspire to but just try and find any verified or verifiable Vietnam road traffic accident related fatality and injury statistics.

I'll check back next year.

8 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Sickening slaughter by a drunken scum bag then tried to get his sober father to take the wrap 25 years hard labour and beaten everyday a fitting punishment RIP???????? 

Yes exactly !!

For those who missed it , turns out the driver was the son of the 66 year old who took the blame because his son has no license and had been to a "party" !!

33 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

The excuses made by lazy stupid people. 

There are Westerners out there living on 300 baht a day? You see many Western morons with kids on a PCX or whatever. 

They might regret it if this story happens to them, quite possible on Thai roads, and their kid is bolognese sauce on the road in front of them. 

I have no response to your post other than if that is what you think then you are not worth listening to.

and in a blink of an eye a life is lost... absolutely tragic and wholely caused by one idiot's impatience. I hope they throw the book at him but most likely he will pay his way out of it.

Just today I witnessed a car do the same thing and overtake on a very small soi even though it was only 200 metres until it opened up. There was car infront of me that was nearly in a head on crash with him but luckily slammed on his brakes in time. This sh#t makes me so angry as it is so easily avoidable. Poor lady and her family.

On 11/6/2018 at 5:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Watched the video...  the bike was riding correctly, indicating...

I agree , she did everything correctly , except for one thing , this is Thailand and do not expect cars to just stop , I would have looked in the mirror and waited until there was no danger from behind . Then turn right . 

I would also wear a helmet for protection. 

16 hours ago, poanoi said:

but she did everything to the highest standard

Except looking behind her and paying attention before turning right. And wearing a helmet. She could have been alive today. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Except looking behind her and paying attention before turning right. And wearing a helmet. She could have been alive today. 

how do you know she didnt look behind her ?

i think she did in an earlier stage, and it was clear,

this car started overtaking after she had started signal and after she had positioned herself, i suspect the car driver dont have the eyesight

to qualify for driving on a public road

and paying attention is exactly what she did,

look at positioning, look at the time she was indicating, she drives professionally in every aspect,

far above the standard by most drivers,

specially here.

helmet is of no relevance regarding driving skills,

she followed the traffic protocol to the letter,

problem was, another trafficant didnt

19 hours ago, wcoast said:

Oh yeah... this road is crawling with ambulance techs, nurses and doctors heading home. What assistance do you suggest these folks offer in the 15seconds of aftermath video we witnessed?

Run to and check the vital signs of the injured & to call 911 or whatever it is in Thailand. Thats what most westerners would do isn't it?? The one guy just reaches down & touches her shoulder & walks to the side. The driver parks 100 ft up the road & casually walks back. No one ran out to see, they casually walked (& I'm certain it made quite an audible crashing sound). No one is calling for an ambulance. No one is attending to the kids??? What would you do, stand there & take a video??

Run to and check the vital signs of the injured & to call 911 or whatever it is in Thailand. Thats what most westerners would do isn't it?? What would you do, stand there & take a video??
News flash: there were no westerners on scene. This didn't happen in a western country. And seriously what good would it do for a layman to check vitals if they didn't know any basic first aid to follow up?
191 in Thailand. Quit assuming Western standards in a foreign country.

14 minutes ago, wcoast said:

News flash: there were no westerners on scene. This didn't happen in a western country. And seriously what good would it do for a layman to check vitals if they didn't know any basic first aid to follow up?
191 in Thailand. Quit assuming Western standards in a foreign country.

Newsflash Update: Ohhh, I see. What it be better for you to understand if I substituted "western" with "human", "civilized", "normal", "compassionate", "mindful", "responsible", "attentive", "caring"??

Take your pick

BTW, I've lived as a foreigner in plenty of countries. Africa included, which was far more advanced 40 years ago than what Thailand is today.

23 hours ago, TGIR said:

that could be avoided.

I have to agree with you. Everyone blaming the car. Just putting your turn signal on does not mean you can automatically go out to pass. Was the car speeding? probably, but she should have never veered out without checking for traffic. RIP to the mother.

6 hours ago, balo said:

Hope you don't close your eyes and ears like that when on a Thai road. Especially if you're stupid enough to have children on a scooter with out.

Any parent that puts their child on a scooter and drives on a Thai road should have them taken off them. They're simply unfit for being parents. 

They might realize that when a speeding/over taking/u-turning/under-taking Hilux turns their kid into bolognese sauce in front of them. Whoops, too late. 

Archived