Zero tolerance to shooting in the air, fireworks, lanterns at Pattaya Loy Krathong

snoop1130

Does an airplane, or commercial jet actually have to crash before regulations

have to be enforced. Sounds like some Brit seems to think this way. I was on a

flight to Chiang Mai that diverted to the airport on a cowboy ride, just to avoid the

Yi Peng fire lanterns. I was not impressed, so I understand hy Pattaya wants to eep

a lid on this sort of stuff.  Play safe boys and girls, and don't get too blotto.

Geezer

About 7-8 years ago I arrived at CM airport through a blaze of lanterns and fireworks passing my window on descent and remember thinking that looks iffy no wonder they subsequently grounded flights after 6pm but now it looks like its going to be a bonfire night with no Guy or a Songkran without water????   

Nothing wrong with these festivals, it's just that the morons, drunks/druggies and criminals get carried away now as they (festivals) are seen as an excuse for a window of lawlessness. Add to that these sort of places are a magnet for all the trash (local & foreign) who act selfishly and aggressively plus dive into the abyss of feral self-indulgence. Also, if the chief of police has to tell people not fire their illegal guns in the air then there is something very wrong...maybe in Iraq or Syria, but here...blimey. Can't think of anything more ghastly than Loy Krathong in Pattaya under the present social and tourist climate.

23 hours ago, Kim J said:

You need to take off your rose coloured specs, I went with my wife and daughter last year to Loy Krathong at Jomtien, the only thing obnoxious and trashy that we saw were many of the "celebrating locals" as you call them.

Firstly after fighting our way through even more than the usual congestion, ignorance and inconsiderate behaviour on the roads, we eventually arrived at Jomtien Beach Rd to be threatened by some fat ignorant Thai man for parking in HIS place.

I would say from your comment, your perception of celebrating is very different to mine.

You are complaining about holiday traffic congestion, why do you drive? I don't drive, I walk, I live on Beach Rd, so I am doing my part of solving traffic problems. You, on the other hand, contribute to horrendous traffic conditions by driving yoyr car, and irony of ironies - you then complain about OTHER people also driving lol. 

I do not wear rose tinted glasses, but I do make my daily living here as simple, and painless as possible, it is very easily done, don't  drive, live where you hang out most of the time, it saves you enourmous amount of stress, as a result you'll be a happier person, and you will be able to enjoy Loi Krathong, on the beach.

I sometimes look at drivers' faces in cars as they are standing still in traffic jam on Beach Rd every Fri night, Sat night, and on major holidays traffic jams on every road. These people look sad and angry at the same time. Look at road rage incidents here, traffic can make a man lose his mind, literallt. This can't be a happy life, looking at these people in cars I pity them. 

If you plan on going to the beach on Loi Krathong, and you chose to drive, you'll be so angry by the time you get there, you wish you had stayed home.

How about just banning lanterns near airports?

Problem solved...

Then most people could enjoy the lanterns like they have for 100s of years....

The power masters do not want to solve problems....But they do very much want to kill cool Thai traditions.... Slowly knocking them off one at a time....

On 11/6/2018 at 11:07 AM, BritManToo said:

Yet despite millions of lanterns launched all over Asia in the past 30 years, not one caused a plane crash.

Well not yet... :whistling:

Wonder if any planes have had to abort landing or take off due to lanterns???

Highly unlikely one would bring down a plane, but would you chance it???

My concerns are more to do with plastic lanterns and krathongs... and where they end up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived