BANGKOK
rockyysdt

Rice Storage Ideas, Isaan Village Kitchens?

Hi All.

On my last visit I had to deal with a rat infestation in the home of my friend.

The vermin had gotten into everything, including the mattress, cupboards, and even chewed through air con power cabling.

I'm looking for any ideas in economically storing household rice in the kitchen.

The family might typically buy 25kg sacks of rice leaving this food totally exposed.

Are there sturdy and not overly expensive containers which could do the job?

cheers.

R

the way to preserve food from ants is to fill a shallow container with water, then inside that container you place a container with food,

so the ants would have to tread water to get to the food.

you can scale this up so for example fill a trash can with some water,

place a buddha statue in the trash can without touching the walls,

and on top of the buddha statue place the sack of rice.

another way is to cut off the bottom of 4 old plastic milk containers, fill them with water or something toxic, and then place the legs of a table on them,

and then the food on the table is safe,

for as long as the legs dont touch the walls of the milk containers, and for as long as there is water in them

Edited by poanoi
  • Thanks 1

Get something made of metal to put the rice inside, for example cooking pots are available in all sizes and you should be able to get one which fits 25kg or rice

• Like 1

If the rats are as bad as you indicate in your post, I'd be concentrating on the rats before worrying about anything else. Having said that I think Worgordie's suggestion is the solution. Dust bins come in all sizes & some have clip type latches for lid security.

We grow our own rice and have never had problems with vermin or insects with storage. In the kitchen, we keep our cooking rice in a 20L plastic trash can with a lid. I do keep ARS ant bait in the kitchen and house year round. Another thing I do is spray a 4-6 inch wide area of Chaindrite or ARS termite and ant killer along the floor and wall. The residual effect will last at least 4 weeks. I also spray a pattern around all the wastebaskets. All of this helps control an infestation, but I give most of the credit to my wife for keeping a clean house. We also have a female cat that has access to the kitchen through a pet entrance.

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Rats can chew through concrete, better off having more hungry cats around.

Or get a snake...

Please do not laugh, but rats behaviour is different in each area.

Yours sound extreme so talk to the locals down the road & ask them for advice .

I am sure the locals will have a solution as they would not put up with what you have described

They should not even be in your house

• Like 1

Rats chew and claw through anything except galvanized metals.

Rat poison in the right places works wonders BUT it  is against a Buddhist precept , DO NOT KILL ANY LIVING CREATURE.

Those big glazed clay china water pots are rat proof.  The biggest size must be at least 70 or 80 litres.   Not expensive but don't like being dropped.   Get one of the round metal lids they sell with them and a brick.  Then only weevils are your problem.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1