UK police arrest six men over burning of Grenfell Tower effigy

webfact

UK police arrest six men over burning of Grenfell Tower effigy

2018-11-06T091303Z_1_LYNXNPEEA50I5_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-FIRE.JPG

Participants in a Silent March marking the first anniversary of the Grenfell Tower fire, greet firefighters as they walk near the tower in London, Britain June 14, 2018. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested six men after a video was posted on the internet that showed men mocking the deadly Grenfell Tower blaze by burning an effigy of the building as part of Guy Fawkes' Night celebrations.

They were released on Tuesday, but remain under investigation, according to a police statement issued late in the day.

The video, which appeared on social media, showed a cardboard model of the tower with cut outs of residents in the windows being set alight on a bonfire while those watching laughed and made jokes.

Grenfell Tower, a social housing block that was home to a close-knit, ethnically diverse community, was engulfed by flames in the middle of the night of June 14, 2017, killing 71 people in the country's deadliest domestic fire since World War Two.

"To disrespect those who lost their lives at Grenfell Tower, as well as their families and loved ones, is utterly unacceptable," Prime Minister Theresa May said on Twitter.

Police said the men, whose ages range from 55 to 19, had been arrested on suspicion of a public order offence after handing themselves into a police station in south London.

Across Britain in early November, towns and villages hold annual firework parties and burn effigies of Guy Fawkes, the Roman Catholic plotter who tried to blow up parliament in 1605.

Larger celebrations often burn celebrity figures with effigies of flamboyant ex-Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson being torched at a number of events this year while previous targets have included U.S. President Donald Trump.

(Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Stephen Addison and Sonya Hepinstall)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-07

I wonder what criminal offence their disgusting disrespectful behaviour is being used as the excuse for the arrest? Suspicion of a public order offence, what a joke. Hurty , hurty feelings? I see a case for suing the police for wrongful arrest. If the incident was treated with contempt, ignored it will be soon forgotten, Making the names of those involved public would generate enough social rejection, but they have committed no crime. What about all the violence and robbery on London's streets, where is the condemnation from Mrs. May for that. What are those useless creature Khan and Dick doing about it? Why is there not increased stop and search, because the main perpetrators are not native white English people the stop and search procedures would be classed as racial profiling and not politically correct, so these thugs are free to wander about as they wish protected by the racist card. Where is May's condemnation of the Pakistani Muslim child rape industry, because it is on an industrial scale. Is that not disrespectful to our female  non muslim children? Justice in England is dying under the boot of political correctness and fear of offending those that are always offended.

Us English have always been nutters and able to speak their minds.

Oops! Being English, I've just offended my own self, I must call the Police.

I am also antiestablishment, antifeminist, and an antique..Big crimes in UK.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Utterly ridiculous...... a wasteful use of police resources. 

The disgusting and despicable behavior is highly offensive but does not break any law... these idiots should just be left to become social pariahs... 

Public Order laws - there a number of laws like this that give the police latitude and allow them to arrest on suspicion. They have been released without charge but remain under investigation.

Again we see the police acting to please their political masters rather than upholding their sworn duty to uphold common law.

Why don't they arrest those responsible for signing off the Grenfell Tower cladding design and spec?

The manufacturer's cut sheet data clearly shows it to be not fit for purpose.

Maybe they will be moved to a non-active post?

42 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Public Order laws - there a number of laws like this that give the police latitude and allow them to arrest on suspicion. They have been released without charge but remain under investigation.

Again we see the police acting to please their political masters rather than upholding their sworn duty to uphold common law.

Agree, only 20% of police time is spent solving real crime nowadays, the rest is spent on thought crime, so called hate crime and historic sexual harassment. No one else has said it so I will "1984 was supposed to be a warning not an instruction manual"

16 minutes ago, Kevbo said:

Agree, only 20% of police time is spent solving real crime nowadays, the rest is spent on thought crime, so called hate crime and historic sexual harassment. No one else has said it so I will "1984 was supposed to be a warning not an instruction manual"

Speaking of hate crime, what should those who watch videos of 9/11 every anniversary, whooping and cheering with their mates (also on private property) be charged with ?

Or is there another set of rules for them ?

• 3 months later...

Archived