Police hero saves infant girls after family pickup plunges into canal

webfact

Police hero saves infant girls after family pickup plunges into canal

By The Nation

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFhjK5h8zIYRDbOxQOpSQipj92VLG.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A fast-thinking highway police officer used resuscitation techniques to bring two young girls back to life in Phitsanulok early Wednesday after their family’s pickup truck struck a low concrete shoulder guard and plunged into a canal.

Pol Sen Sgt Major Prateep Mee-udon had to row a boat to the vehicle almost completely submerged in water alongside the Phitsanulok-bound road in Moo 8, Tambon Ban Pa, in Muang district.

Police said the father, Panya Pinkaew, 47, dozed off behind the wheel.

Only the front end of the pickup remained above the surface after it flipped over and sank tail first.

Panya, his wife Sureerat Thonglamphan, 33, their eldest daughter Pennapha Pinkaew, 13, and son Ekkarin Pinkaew, 6, managed to get free of the cab and climb onto the nose.

But Nujarin Pinkaew, 1, and Ammarin Pinkaew, five months, remained trapped inside until Panya was able to bring them to the surface.

Sgt Major Prateep was manning a checkpoint nearby when he heard a crash and calls for help.

He borrowed a boat and brought the family to the canal bank and, detecting no pulse on the two girls, performed CPR.

The family was taken to the district hospital, where doctors determined the girls were out of danger.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358077

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-07

I am so impressed that one of the RTP has done this.

In so many reports and video clips we see accidents, and everyone - including the police, just standing around and ignoring the injured parties completely.

Well done to this guy, and amazing he knew how to do CPR which thankfully saved the girls.

Great work & all the family is safe. ????

What would be fantastic is rolling out a BLS (basic life support) across the country.

Either support or ignore my suggestion, please don't fill up forum space with negative comments.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Thumbs up for the cop!????????????

There must have been smoking heads at BJ's PR team on how to attach him to the story.

Tough titties. He can jump fom the office chair (has parachute insignia) but probably can't swim. :thumbsup:

In the UK part of police basic training was swimming and lifesaving techniques including first aid and resuscitation. The officer was lucky a boat was available. I wonder if he could swim?

All children should be taught to swim/lifesave in this country. I am amazed how many can’t, and unfortunately drown when playing in or falling in the water. Don’t their parents care?

9 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

All children should be taught to swim/lifesave in this country. I am amazed how many can’t, and unfortunately drown when playing in or falling in the water. Don’t their parents care?

Possibly not the same degree of "care" as westerners but there is also the lack of opportunity and availablity to teach kids/parents about learning to swim. 

Archived