Could then - Cant Now !

CharlieH

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, colinneil said:

Possum ole lad, you never went scrumping as a boy?

During the school holidays it was a favourite pastime of mine, going into an orchard and nicking the apples off the trees.

I don't like apples Colin, in fact the only way I eat fruit or veg is when they are liquidised. and that does not include apples.

I can't think of anything I could do then and can't now, I just do what I wanted then and now, and have not changed.

There is one thing I feel very strongly about, and that is never to do anything that is detrimental to ordinary people.

• Popguns and playing cowboys and Indians
  • Cap guns
  • Fake hand grenades that used caps like cap guns
  • Playing WWII machine gun nest (whoever died the best got to be the machine gunner the next round
  • Black cat fire crackers
  • BB guns and pellet guns
  • Hunting with my Dad
  • Bows and arrows in the backyard
  • Using 'eeny, meeny, miny, moe' before I had any idea what the words meant.
  • Using a pair of pliers to crimp a 'Whisling Pete' firework so it would explode
  • Spin the bottle
  • Parking and making out (also good at Drive-in theaters)
  • Smoking pot with high school friends at the local park after school (the cops pretty much ignored us at that time in the 60s)
  • Fishing without a stupid license
  • Kissing a girl you liked and finding out that she likes you just as much
  • Sheriff catches you and your high school friends drinking a six pack, makes you pour the beer out, makes sure your not impaired, and send you on your way

So yes, I thank God I grew up at the time I did.  I'd hate be be a kid now.

56 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

He was a sweat-shirted actor on the show... wealthy people don't work... his job was sheltering his family as behind the scenes he managed to keep Eddie Haskell of the show and relegated to Beaver... He was a busy guy, he just made it look easy... 

None the less, the character he played never had paid employment which doesn't really qualify the family as "normal."

In real life Ozzie wasn't much like the character he portrayed, Wouldn't even let his sons attend college because the TV show was all that mattered.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/18/arts/dousing-the-glow-of-tv-s-first-family-time-for-the-truth-about-ozzie-and-harriet.html

And as far as the show Father Knows Best is concerned, the actor who was the central character suffered from mental issues & alcoholism and numerous suicide attempts.

http://www.hollywoodnewsdaily.com/2014/robert-young-father-knows-best-stars-life-of-mental-illness-and-suicide-attempts/3903

Just saying that as "normal families" there was some dark behind-the-scenes issues .... but then maybe that's true of normal families.

I never missed Ozzie and Harriet on the radio and then on TV. I thought that was how life was supposed to be. My "normal family" didn't come close. I think we were closer to Fibber McGee and Molly.

1 hour ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Walk to school without fear of molestation, sauntering on the way, play conkers without helmet, full-face protection and body armour.

Cool.  As an 'Yank' kid, I spent my first three years of school in a British school.  Yeah, conkers!  Don't know any kids in the US who played that.
Nowadays, along with the helmet, full-face protection and body armour do your mom and dad have to wrap you in bubble-wrap?

• Leaving the doors to your house unlocked even when you were away.
  • ABC, NBC, CBS, and channel 11 where what you got on your black and white or new-fangled 13 inch color TV with the single coming to you from the antennae on the roof.
  • You could watch late night comedy and never hear anyone use swear-words

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Butter in blocks and cut for you.

Un-homogenized milk delivered by a milk-man in a horse drawn milk wagon.
Cream floated to the top of the bottles.  Way cool.  Run out and feed the horse an apple or sugar-cubes. 

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Can't get your tits caught in a wringer anymore....Guess I never really could have - but the visual still holds....

The brand name of those wringers was Mangle, hence the term 'mangled'. 

"Did you hear that Mrs Smith got mangled!"

Mom used one about like this. 
index.jpeg.3c6f660c33e2f76b2000b289e9b56ceb.jpeg

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Getting money back on bottles returned to the Pub.

Going Upstairs to the "circle" in Cinemas. Had 2 films A + B movie.

Having 2 after school jobs Aged 11

Jumping on and off the platform of a moviing Bus !

Same here.  I started working at 12 because I wanted to.  That 25 cents a week allowance didn't cut it.  When I worked, I could afford to go to McDonalds and get a coke, fries, and burger of 25 cents, buy whatever candy I wanted at the drug store, and put money into a savings account that actually earned interest.  Yep, I enjoyed working and I enjoyed having extra money to spend without depending on my parents.

30 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

"Cracker night"-in Oz it was on 'Empire Day' (25th May)

Sneaking up and tossing jumping jacks or Roman candles into another kid's stash..

Firing plastic nosed skyrockets at each other...

Did you read how many people, young and old, were seriously burned, injured or attacked with fireworks last weekend. Yeh, we had good fun sticking bangers in cow-pats, but we also had good fun driving after a pint or three. But hopefully those days are gone and we are now all older and maybe wiser. 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Playing football, cricket, tennis in the street.

"Kiss chase" and girls doing handstands against the wall in the school playground.

Or, playing baseball, football (not soccer), & basketball in the street....

Cost my folks one neighbor's car windshield & house front window.....We played at the end of the street.....The infield was paved road & the outfield was an open field.....Hitting the ball = no problem.....Throwing the ball to home (plate) sometimes was (somebody's actual home took the shot).....

Archived