Could then - Cant Now !

CharlieH

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knock a door, runaway (Postman's knock)

School milk in little bottles every morning

Jubblees (frozen triangular fruit pops)

Snakes (Hand rolling Tobacco candy in a little yellow and red packet greaseproof wrapper)

Candy Cigarettes

Making throwing crosses on a hot summers day with lolly sticks and the pitch patches on the road/street used to glue them together

Going on hols to Pontins or Butlins, as a kid was like the best

Pop (Soda Drinks) delivered door to door by Alpine soft drinks lorry

Penney back on glass bottles

Banna-Splitz on kids TV

The Double Deckers

On The Buses

Steptoe & Son

HR Puffing Stuff

Listening to shortwave radio... BBC, VoA, DW, Voice of Peace...etc.

Weather reports & Navigational warnings on Morse code.

Telegrams, radio-telephony calls.

Working with coast stations like Portishead Radio.

Crossing of the Suez canal in convoys.

Dividing £1 into three equal parts.

Andy Pandy and Muffin the Mule on 405 line black and white TV with only two channels and loads of glowing valves inside.

Listening to sea area weather reports on the radio which needed time to warm up first. Never did find out where was German Bite

Listening to the football results and watching my dad check the football pools.

19 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Dividing £1 into three equal parts.

Andy Pandy and Muffin the Mule on 405 line black and white TV with only two channels and loads of glowing valves inside.

Listening to sea area weather reports on the radio which needed time to warm up first. Never did find out where was German Bite

Listening to the football results and watching my dad check the football pools.

And The Woodentops!

Strange lot they were....:laugh:

Neatly rolling Manchester Evening News broadsheet pages up and tying in a loose knot while getting ready to make a fire, bits of tinder and if we had money that week a few firelighters put on, lit the paper knots and firelighters, once got hold put hand shovel against the breast with sheet of paper to draw the bugger and get it going... 

Paraffin heater in outside loo in back yard to stop cistern pipework freezing

8" nail in wall for bog roll (Or evening news on a tight week lol) 

White washing yard wall for me mam

Hiding Bomby wood on coal bunker roof storing it for Bonfire night

Going Bomby raiding and knicking above wood from other kids gangs lol...

Apple raiding back gardens knicking all the bloody crab apples ????

2 hours ago, Lokie said:

Neatly rolling Manchester Evening News broadsheet pages up and tying in a loose knot while getting ready to make a fire, bits of tinder and if we had money that week a few firelighters put on, lit the paper knots and firelighters, once got hold put hand shovel against the breast with sheet of paper to draw the bugger and get it going... 

Paraffin heater in outside loo in back yard to stop cistern pipework freezing

8" nail in wall for bog roll (Or evening news on a tight week lol) 

White washing yard wall for me mam

Hiding Bomby wood on coal bunker roof storing it for Bonfire night

Going Bomby raiding and knicking above wood from other kids gangs lol...

Apple raiding back gardens knicking all the bloody crab apples ????

Are you my brother ??????

You reminded me about using the long tube off Mam's vacuum cleaner as a "rocket launcher" to fire rockets into rival gangs bonfires ! 555555 ????

We used to go nicking rhubarb too!

Halloween war wagons....

Old cars we'd buy and cut the roof off of & line the edge with a split hose so no jagged edge.....The shop teacher never seemed to care as we prepped the cars....

We'd start days ahead loading up with eggs, fruit & vegetables, pumpkins, refillable water fire extinguishers, some had tanks & water pressure pumps rigged in (air & water at every gas station) to fill & charge the tanks......3 or 4 would face off driving crazy with 4 or more standing up through the open roof & pelting the other ones driving on the streets.....Once in awhile someone in foot would toss an egg at them/us - big mistake.....

Good times....

The police always seemed not to be around somehow.....

Going and raiding the local farmers corn patch and him coming out with his gun and shooting you in the ass with saltpeter.

looking down and being able to see my middle leg now the overhanging verandah hides it so must feel for it before I wet my pants

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Possum ole lad, you never went scrumping as a boy?

During the school holidays it was a favourite pastime of mine, going into an orchard and nicking the apples off the trees.

Hedge hopping and trying to avoid the cold frames en route.

Never forget the houses up our road, all had hedges. We'd start at the top and dive over the hedges rolling onto our feet and onto the next one. I think they call it free running now.

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Selling Pidgeons to the Pet shop and then wait for them to come home and go sell em again !!! ????????????

I still do that!!!Sell them at chatuchak and wait for them to come home!!!Some don't and some do.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Playing with your clackers in the school playground in the late 60’s.

IMG_6579.JPG

Bloody lethal they were !!

Ahh, Clackers yes bleeding lethal! wrapped my knuckles a few times with them trying to be a smart ar $e lol

Marbels and Alleys and 'Dobbers' no ones mentioned them yet, playing on a square grid for keeps. Shove apenny and nearest to the wall (at big school for the actual money) fag money (Cigs for our american cousins not gay guys)

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

We called them "bogeys" made from odd wood and pram wheels.????

Bogies and 'Guiders' plank o wood and yeah pram wheels, big bolt through the front for steering axle, axles just held by nails bent over ha ha... sometimes put a wooden fruit box for a seat unit on em and a wooden brake, although shoe leather came into play on many occasion - Yikes!

Asbestos, smashing it off old garage roofs and throwing it on bonfires, about a min then BOOM!! (normally lobbed it on before your mates turned up lol) 

Just thought...? whos gonna admit to going Ledding? We had a lot of slum house clearances in the 70s so as kids we found out you could weigh any old led in at the scrappy... The Led men would give us a good hiding if then caught us, thing was we was to fast for em he he he...  

True/Dare/Kiss/Command/or Promise... the lenghts youd go to to get a kiss of the girl you fancied lol (see spin the bottle)

10 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Bogies and 'Guiders' plank o wood and yeah pram wheels, big bolt through the front for steering axle, axles just held by nails bent over ha ha... sometimes put a wooden fruit box for a seat unit on em and a wooden brake, although shoe leather came into play on many occasion - Yikes!

Asbestos, smashing it off old garage roofs and throwing it on bonfires, about a min then BOOM!! (normally lobbed it on before your mates turned up lol) 

Today's version of a soap box racer - gravity racer....

Screenshot_2018-11-08-21-59-51-14.png

Milk in returnable glass bottles

Having to ask the Pharmacist for Rubbers

Brake stand burnouts

Double Album covers to shake the seeds out

No bicycle helmets

Hanging out the wash (in America, not here)

No Double Stack 9mms except Brownings

Carrying a Luger

Fedoras

Skinny Ties

B&W TVs

Transistor Radios and Crystal sets

Dial phones

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Could then - Can't now ...

When I was a Boy Scout (UK - late 1960's) we all carried 6"+ sheath knives and various pocket knives.

In the UK now - only a folding knife with 3" blade is permitted.

6 inch never allowed

Archived