Could then - Cant Now !

CharlieH

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Getting money back on bottles returned to the Pub.

Going Upstairs to the "circle" in Cinemas. Had 2 films A + B movie.

Having 2 after school jobs Aged 11

Jumping on and off the platform of a moviing Bus !

with you on the bus   -   grab the pole   -  what were they called  ????

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, tifino said:

thirty years ago; buy 2 bottles of Mekhong;

take a glassful from one bottle, and all seemed normal

Take but a smll sip out of the other bottle, and you are off your face, and your are seemingly legless from the knees down (there was no Govt regulation in how the stuff was produced back then)

Drinking it for long enough, and you face (eyes) take on

'the Mekhong Look'

Image result for Vincent Schiavelli    those were the days...

Yep I remember that so well, (sometimes only with photographic evidence) I was so impressed I found an importer in Sydney and brought a dozen,to share with friends.But they heard the stories, and wouldn't drink it. Needless to say I had quite a few "episodes " after that, but not quite the same as on the streets of Bangkok in the 80's.

5 hours ago, cookieqw said:

yeah right 555

Yep - had 10 drive in screens within less than a 1/2 hours drive.....Make that an hours drive north, south, or east & pick up about a dozen or more screens.....Ocean to the west.....

Lot's of memories & foggy windows.....Not a lot of movies watched.....

A great time to be a teenager......

21 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

None the less, the character he played never had paid employment which doesn't really qualify the family as "normal."

In real life Ozzie wasn't much like the character he portrayed, Wouldn't even let his sons attend college because the TV show was all that mattered.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/18/arts/dousing-the-glow-of-tv-s-first-family-time-for-the-truth-about-ozzie-and-harriet.html

And as far as the show Father Knows Best is concerned, the actor who was the central character suffered from mental issues & alcoholism and numerous suicide attempts.

http://www.hollywoodnewsdaily.com/2014/robert-young-father-knows-best-stars-life-of-mental-illness-and-suicide-attempts/3903

Just saying that as "normal families" there was some dark behind-the-scenes issues .... but then maybe that's true of normal families.

I never missed Ozzie and Harriet on the radio and then on TV. I thought that was how life was supposed to be. My "normal family" didn't come close. I think we were closer to Fibber McGee and Molly.

Ahhh, the lovely blur of reality... and yes, I think you are correct in questioning what might be defined as "normal" - - we had a couple of family members who had no occupation that was recognizable other than dysfunctional eccentric... then there was a step-grandfather who tried to convince my father to invest in a company to sell mail order devices that when hung in a room would protect that room from nuclear disaster... and I think we were pretty normal in our dysfunction. 

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Stump jump plough, atomic absorption spectrometers, pilotless aircraft ( Jindivik ), Lightburn Zeta..........

Sorry but Jindivik first flew in 1950, the Fairy Queen (modified Fairy 111) first flew in the early 1920's as remote controlled targets.

21 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Playing football, cricket, tennis in the street.

"Kiss chase" and girls doing handstands against the wall in the school playground.

Improvised cricket in the street. Bricks for stumps, tennis racket as a bat and a golf ball.

14 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

You can tie your own shoe laces from a sitting position? Wow!.. I have to kneel, then hope I can get up again... just kidding. I haven't had shoelaces in at least 10 years.. 

Yes I tried the kneeling position (on one knee obviously I defy anyone to tie their shoelaces on both knees !!) but found I would invariably fall sideways and just lay there helpless in the foetal position !! ????

yup, I don’t possess any shoes with laces anymore, for the above reason ????

Many decades ago as a boy, later as a teenager, I could .......

Walk the side of the road and pick up enough pop bottles to buy junk at the corner store for days.

Hitch hike to get from A to B. It was quite effective transportation (and safe).

Put $5 of gas in the tank and drive around for another day or two.

Smoke while refuelling (dah).

Call the doctor and he would come to our home.

Listen to good ol' rock n' roll on a transistor radio.

Feel safe on a dark street at night.

Cross the boarder to the USA without a passport.

Buy an old car for 50 bucks.

Take my date to any one of a half dozen drive-in theatres.

Eat a burger at ten at night (stomach says "no" now).

Issue a cheque (check) and know that it would not clear for a couple days.

Park a car in the big city without having to mortgage my home to pay for the short term privilege.

10 minutes ago, neeray said:

Many decades ago as a boy, later as a teenager, I could .......

Walk the side of the road and pick up enough pop bottles to buy junk at the corner store for days.

Hitch hike to get from A to B. It was quite effective transportation (and safe).

Put $5 of gas in the tank and drive around for another day or two.

Smoke while refuelling (dah).

Call the doctor and he would come to our home.

Listen to good ol' rock n' roll on a transistor radio.

Feel safe on a dark street at night.

Cross the boarder to the USA without a passport.

Buy an old car for 50 bucks.

Take my date to any one of a half dozen drive-in theatres.

Eat a burger at ten at night (stomach says "no" now).

Issue a cheque (check) and know that it would not clear for a couple days.

Park a car in the big city without having to mortgage my home to pay for the short term privilege.

My Dad used to buy Springfield Rifles from Surplus dealers ten at a time, still wrapped in Cosmoline, hitchhike with them home, dissasemble and clean them, then resell them for pocket money in the early 50s.

I once drove from NJ to Lake Placid in a VW for $3 in gas.

I still remeber house calls too.

Tapping the phone !!

There was a service available called “ dial a disk “ , by dialling the number ( 161 I think [emoji848]) then tapping the cradle where the receiver sits at exactly the right time you could listen to the music for free !!

As kids we did this in the phone boxes, more showing off than actually wanting to listen to the one song over and over !

I also discovered someone had shoved some paper up the coin return chute, on pulling it out I got a handful of change.

Not sure how many phone boxes I visited after that but I became a very happy ( and rich in child terms) kid that evening !!

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Tapping the phone !!

He, he   we used to do that too, after my parents put a lock on the phone dial to try stop us from ordering takeaways delivered to someone else.

My father worked for BT and eventually (after some silly phone bills) had one of his colleagues  monitor the line...we got the shock of our life's while tapping the phone and a very stern ladies voice bellowed down the line "stop doing that"

Making a favourite music tape by recording from the radio !

If only that DJ would stop talking during the track !
Was a work of art to stop and start recording without getting the DJ’s spiel on the tape.

I remember well making a few tapes from Radio Luxemburg’s Rocktober radio show.

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

My Dad used to buy Springfield Rifles from Surplus dealers ten at a time, still wrapped in Cosmoline, hitchhike with them home, dissasemble and clean them, then resell them for pocket money in the early 50s.

I once drove from NJ to Lake Placid in a VW for $3 in gas.

I still remeber house calls too.

My god..Springfields..they would be worth a fortune now.

It was interesting comparing Mausers,Lee-Enfields and Springfields on the range.

The Mauser was a most cumbersome weapon.

49 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

My god..Springfields..they would be worth a fortune now.

It was interesting comparing Mausers,Lee-Enfields and Springfields on the range.

The Mauser was a most cumbersome weapon.

1903s too. Not 03a3s...the originals. $20 each

I shot a bear once with a Jungle Carbine, No 5 Mk 1 ROF Fazarkerly! Knocked him silly!

Archived