Cashing GBP cheque

Letseng

Some time ago I read on this forum that some Thai banks will accept a GBP cheque to pay into one's account. I have received a cheque, have no account in the U.K., can't open one as I have no residence there. My home bank back in Europe does not accept cheques any longer unless these are in Euro.

Can anyone help please? 

The cheque issuer will neither issue a € cheque nor do a bank transfer. So much for the U.K. wanting to be the financial hub of Europe.

I deposit GBP cheques to my account at KTB.

Some banks won't accept them at all.

Some banks will only accept them above a certain amount.

You need to have an account with them. Then wait 4-6 weeks for them to clear it.

No bank will 'cash' a GBP cheque.

Sorry, I did mean "deposit" the cheque not to cash it I'm aware to cash it would not be possible. The account is with UOB, a not very helpful bank.

It is a "payee a/c only" cheque. UOB account is in my name. Bangkok Bank a/c is in my wife's name. This won't help.

Both a/c are in THB. Cheque amount is above 10,000.

• 3 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 1:55 PM, BobBKK said:

Interesting and you have a GBP account? or THB?  I have a Bangkok Bank GBP and I'm unsure they would take a cheque.

As an update to my question: Bangkok Bank accepts GBP cheques to be deposited into a THB account. However, the account has to be used for min. 6 months before they will accept a cheque. Brit. cheques seem to be valid for 6 months only. Same wiith an FCD account.

My husband isn't sure if he just got fobbed of with the 6 months rule or whether it really exists. He described the person extremely rude with a "go away and don't bother me attitude". 

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I wasn't aware that cheques are still in use.  If I recall, my UK bank stopped using them a few years ago.  Can't remember the last time I saw one. 

Lucky you with your bank. We sold shares and payout can only be by cheque and not to a bank account. Puzzles me but they this shows how behind times some companies are.

Just deposited into my Thai account a check written on my U.S. bank account. This is the second time I have done this. The 1st time it took 30 days to clear.(a couple of years ago) This latest deposit took almost 3 months. This transaction was via my U.S. account via Bangkok Bank. Don't know why it took so long this time.

9 minutes ago, albertik said:

Just deposited into my Thai account a check written on my U.S. bank account. This is the second time I have done this. The 1st time it took 30 days to clear.(a couple of years ago) This latest deposit took almost 3 months. This transaction was via my U.S. account via Bangkok Bank. Don't know why it took so long this time.

Cheque in question is a GBP cheque not US$. Obstacle is that the account is not 6 months old. I don't care how long clearance takes.

Archived