Renew 5 Year Driving Licence

Isan Farang

Totally agree. I was not looking forward to the occasion but the staff there are really helpful. As IsanFarang said; super easy. 

Let’s hope nearby Sisaket are as easy, as mine are due next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to the simple colour eye test,  did you get the peripheral vision test? Recently in Nong Khai I renewed my 5 year car driving licence and this was part of the test. I easily passed the simple colour test, but failed the peripheral test, they gave me a few extra minutes to rest my eyes, re-took the test with the Boss of the office, and just passed. No chance of passing in 5 years time. Will look for an office which , hopefully, does not require this element of the test.

30 minutes ago, stereolab said:

In addition to the simple colour eye test,  did you get the peripheral vision test? Recently in Nong Khai I renewed my 5 year car driving licence and this was part of the test. I easily passed the simple colour test, but failed the peripheral test, they gave me a few extra minutes to rest my eyes, re-took the test with the Boss of the office, and just passed. No chance of passing in 5 years time. Will look for an office which , hopefully, does not require this element of the test.

Only this one nothing else

test_colours[1].jpg

On 11/9/2018 at 7:45 AM, DILLIGAD said:

Let’s hope nearby Sisaket are as easy, as mine are due next month!

Did mine (car only) there in Feb this year. Similar to Isaan Farang's recount. Only tip is to take a Thai speaker with you unless your Thai is pretty good. Mine is better than basic but not good enough to follow their explanations of what's going to happen next or on instructions during the reaction tests etc.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 8:49 AM, Isan Farang said:

Only this one nothing else

test_colours[1].jpg

I'm partially colour blind to reds and greens. Can't see any numbers or graphics/images in that dot pic!!

I can tell what status a traffic light is from a distance - surely that is the only relevant colour test you need pass to drive safely!

I may be wrong, but I think I recall that I was concerned when they produced some kind of colour test in Sisaket, Dilli, but I had no problem dealing with the one they used. May be dreaming and maybe there was none.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 7:50 PM, Norlund said:

You don't need when it's from 5 year to 5 year. 

Phitsanulok office say that I DO need a medical certificate and a Yellow Book, (for which they say I must be married) NOT Cert. of Residence. P'lok Imm say that C of R is sufficient. We'll see next month.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/9/2018 at 8:17 AM, stereolab said:

Why not try to find an office which does not required you to pass any tests....then you'll be as good as any Thai driver. lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

For Sisaket residents' benefit I had better be a bit more specific about our province's requirements now that other posters have cleared my memory about my visit in Feb-18 to renew a 5 year visa. Edit: there are other offices in Sisaket province of course but for some reason and for the first time my wife's visit to recce the requirements at the Kantharalak office ended up with her being told to go to the Muang office this time - I think it's likely to be because they had a discussion about doing the residence cert with immigration, conveniently close to Muang's Dept of Transport office

Firstly I did a recce visit in the earlyish part of the morning to find out what they wanted and dedicated a day to getting through the process. I strongly recommend this as it looks like from this thread that different offices have different requirements (no surprise there then) which usually comes with unannounced changes to requirements; what happened in Feb this year may no longer be the whole story.

What I now recall (from my anal records of cash spend) they wanted was:

* a residence certificate (possibly in substitute of a yellow book, which I don't have) - cost only 20 baht from Sisaket Immi office only 5km further round the Ring Road.

* a health certificate - 40 baht from the clinic in town that is on the SE corner of the crossroads out front of Sisaket railway station. This was the one thing I wasn't expecting I think otherwise I would have got one local to where I live. The Sisaket clinic I alighted on had sign off by the front desk lady - I don't think she even passed it inside to a doctor.

* 5 year license renewal fee of 555 baht

* Presumably I was asked for the old expiring license and maybe my passport (making sure all the attached gubbins is inside showing you are fully logged into Thailand - since it seems like everyone who deals with you these days short of the ice-cream seller is a part time spy for immigration!).

I went back mid morning and did all the paperwork at the counter and payment. I was then asked to come back for the afternoon session; about 2pm I think, but good idea to check timings if you do a recce run first as I think I just missed the mid morning one, unwittingly due to coffee stop.

The afternoon proceedings started with a video of Thai traffic accidents and recommendation epiphets, which took over an hour. I recall disagreeing strongly with the recommendation never to use your hazard lights while moving 'cos someone in a side road might think you are about to turn. Most Thais slept through most of the video. Then we queued up - about 10 of the 60 or so that watched the video (maybe the others had done this bit before the video) for individual tests which took only about 10 minutes.

Yes there was a coloured dots image, which I now remember was indeed only a 'point at red/point at yellow/point at green test. Yes there was a peripheral vision test which I also had some concern about since the flashing lights seemed unnecessarily dim/tiny, but I passed. Can't remember a long sight vision test - surely there must have been one. And a reaction test to see how quickly you slammed on the ersatz footbrake when a light came on.

So no great sweat, but expect the whole process to take quite a few hours if you are doing all the peripheral bits like health cert and residence cert on the same day.

Edited by SantiSuk

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Why not try to find an office which does not required you to pass any tests....then you'll be as good as any Thai driver. lol

Why not re-read the poster's last sentence!

Just now, wgdanson said:

Phitsanulok office say that I DO need a medical certificate and a Yellow Book, (for which they say I must be married) NOT Cert. of Residence. P'lok Imm say that C of R is sufficient. We'll see next month.

Must be married to acquire a Yellow Book, that’s a new one

5 years ago I was refused a yellow book by the Amphur but a helpful underling quietly suggested the tessabaan. No problem at all in fact quite the reverse - they couldn’t have been more helpful. I wasn’t married then, just my house owner and PuYaiBaan and the documents mentioned by “blue sofa”. 

The Amphur is Warin Chamrab, UBON and the tessabaan is Saen Suk. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, wgdanson said:

Next time, I think I will be looking farther afield than Nong Khai to avoid the peripheral test. The basic test I will breeze it easily.

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:14 PM, Patriot said:

Must be married to acquire a Yellow Book, that’s a new one

And yet another twist in this story. I think I may need a Medical Certificate, so off to the town next door to see  lady doctor, who in the past has prescribed me tablets for various ailments, and given injections to other members of the family. All OK.

Went to her today to get Medical Cert.....Oh no cannot do, I am not a REAL Doctor.

Must go to clinic in the next town.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I haven't followed your story but:

For a 5 yr to 5 yr extension there is NO medical certificate required.

For 2 yr to 5 yr a medical certificate IS required.

And for a 5yr to a 2yr a medical cert was required.... 

Yes, I had to go from a 5yr to a temp 2yr licence as I was no longer on a Non-Immigrant visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And for a 5yr to a 2yr a medical cert was required.... 

Yes, I had to go from a 5yr to a temp 2yr licence as I was no longer on a Non-Immigrant visa.

So you were on a tourist visa then, when they reduced you down to a 2 year DL???

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I haven't followed your story but:

For a 5 yr to 5 yr extension there is NO medical certificate required.

For 2 yr to 5 yr a medical certificate IS required.

The man at Phitsanulok DLT mentioned a Medical Cert, so I thought I'd get one just in case. He was the one who also said I need a Yellow Book, but I have C of R instead. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The man at Phitsanulok DLT mentioned a Medical Cert, so I thought I'd get one just in case. He was the one who also said I need a Yellow Book, but I have C of R instead. Thanks.

Best to just have it...

At the DLT front desk I was told I didn’t  need a medical cert. 

At the counter they wanted one. Luckily I’d come prepared so didn’t have to make two trips to the DLT via a clinic... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Best to just have it...

At the DLT front desk I was told I didn’t  need a medical cert. 

At the counter they wanted one. Luckily I’d come prepared so didn’t have to make two trips to the DLT via a clinic...