Renew 5 Year Driving Licence

Isan Farang

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Best to just have it...

At the DLT front desk I was told I didn’t  need a medical cert. 

At the counter they wanted one. Luckily I’d come prepared so didn’t have to make two trips to the DLT via a clinic... 

Normal sort of day really...

• Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And for a 5yr to a 2yr a medical cert was required.... 

Yes, I had to go from a 5yr to a temp 2yr licence as I was no longer on a Non-Immigrant visa.

Since you are one of the relatively few people I have heard of, that have gone from a 5 year to a 2 year license, I have a some questions for you (just out of personal curiosity).

When you get your first license, it's issued as a temporary license valid for 2 years (it was one year when I applied, but that has since changed). When renewing that temporary license, you get a 5 year license (if on a non immigrant visa permission to stay), as will be the case for any future renewals.

I believe that when renewing a 5 year license, you are technically not really getting a new license, you are just getting a new "card" for your existing license. That's why my current license has a issue date in 2012 - the year I got my first 5 year license. The issue date is not the year that I got my first, temporary license, which leads me to believe that the temporary license technically is a separate license.

If I am correct, then that (kind of) explains why you need a medical certificate when getting the temporary license and your first 5 year license, but not when renewing your 5 year license. The (twisted) logic being, that you need a medical certificate when getting a "new" license, but not when renewing an existing license. And in your case you needed a medical certificate again when going from your 5 year license to your new temporary license, because the temporary license was considered a new license rather than a renewal.

That leads me to my questions. If my theory is to hold water, then the issue date on your new, temporary license should be the year it was actually issued rather than the year your first 5 year license was issued. Is that the case?

Second question, is your new temporary license the same as the original temporary license, i.e. has the word "temporary" printed on it, and a green background on the top where the license no. is printed (rather than the purple of a 5 year license).

Thanks.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 2

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    ORIGINAL FIVE-YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENCE
  2. 2
    PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

PROCEDURE

1. 1
    CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
  2. 2
    PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM
  3. 3
    TAKE ONLY A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A TRAINING 1 HOURS
    • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A THEORY TEST
    • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
  4. 4
    PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE
    (FEE 505 BAHT)
    ADDITIONAL (CHANGE NAME OR ADDRESS CHARGE 50 BAHT)
  • Like 1

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [bY YOURSELF]

1. 1 ORIGINAL FIVE-YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENCE
  2. 2 PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  3. 3 ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

PROCEDURE

1. 1 CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
  2. 2 PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM
  3. 3 TAKE ONLY A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A THEORY TEST
    • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
  4. 4 PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE
    (FEE 505 BAHT)
https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/
Very useful, thank you Norland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Norlund said:

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

PROCEDURE

1. 1
    CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
  2. 2
  3. 3
    • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A THEORY TEST
    • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
  4. 4
    (FEE 505 BAHT)

A useful read but not much use due to the varying rules from office to office. The last time I renewed my licence I did not have to show any evidence of a visa. I had a letter of residence from the Police and not immigration or embassy. I took the colour and reaction tests. No other tests were required. I also needed a medical certificate from a doctor. As with most things official in Thailand, the best thing to do is to go to the office that you are going to use and ask them what they require.

• Like 2

Good to hear that you don’t need a certificate of Residence from police/Immigration/Embassy, if you’ve got a work permit. A friend who went to my local DLT recently, confirmed that this is correct info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, Norlund said:

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3

PROCEDURE

1. 1
    CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
  2. 2
  3. 3
    • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A THEORY TEST
    • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
  4. 4
    (FEE 505 BAHT)

Where can I find the application form which is mentioned in number 2?

Edited by chris26be

17 minutes ago, chris26be said:

Where can I find the application form which is mentioned in number 2?

I never thought about it.

They usually hand it over at the office.

It's all in Thai as far as I remember but they will usually tick the boxes for you (I had help from the daughter).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I go to renew my current two year license this week at Kumphawapi, 

- what extra is needed from two to five?
- Don’t have yellow book is anything else accepted? 

Thanks

Work Permit or Cert of Residence from Immigration.

I go to renew my current two year license this week at Kumphawapi, 

- what extra is needed from two to five?
- Don’t have yellow book is anything else accepted? 

Thanks

Passport and usual copies.
Residence certificate.( free from IO)
Medical certificate. (100 baht from clinic).
Do 4 reaction, colour tests etc etc

Just did mine a couple of weeks ago at Ayutthaya.
Paid 550 baht ( car only ).
You should get 5 years + up to your birthday ( 5 1/2 years in my case)

Don’t let it expire or they will just give you another 2 year.

Note: this was my experience, yours might vary, if you can call in to ask them first.

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

How does that work? I know it expires on your birthday, but won't you get five years less one day?

They take it to the next birthday, we get 6 years if you renew a little after your birthday..

• Like 1

if your not sure just get a med cert,  I used a search engine, made a call, and got mine from the local  dermatologist  tiny office that seemed to be geared for  botox treatments and things  ...... 300 baht  done   not  100baht though   lol

16 hours ago, chubby said:

if your not sure just get a med cert,  I used a search engine, made a call, and got mine from the local  dermatologist  tiny office that seemed to be geared for  botox treatments and things  ...... 300 baht  done   not  100baht though   lol

5 year to 5 year, no medical certificate needed. It is on the DLT website in English.

• 8 months later...

I just renewed my 5 year car and 2 year bike license in Ubon 2 days ago. Seems like requirements changed slightly since last update here ( or a different staff working that day ???? )

I handed in for both license renewals:

2 x Passport Main Page copies

2x Visa Page copies

2x Entry Stamp copies

2x Work Permit copies ( Main page and latest stamp page )

2x Yellow Book

1x Car Drivers license copy

1x Motorbike Drivers license copy

She took everything. Returned the copies of my drivers licenses and told me to get a medical certificate. She said 1 medical certificate is enough. Got the certificate ( I think I paid 60 Baht for it...or 80? ). Returned, went to the first floor with the documents, handed them in and was told to return at 13:00. That is their testing / lecturing time.

I returned at 13:00, had to take a color blind test, listened to a lecture in Thai for about 30 minutes ( make sure your mobile phone battery is fully charged....you may be bored out of your mind ). Paid the license fees ( 855 Baht for both ). Had picture taken and got both my licenses within a few minutes. Done.

Edit:

I went to the same DLT as Isan Farang located here: 15.279968, 104.861503

Edited by NiwPix

4 hours ago, NiwPix said:

I just renewed my 5 year car and 2 year bike license in Ubon 2 days ago

4 hours ago, NiwPix said:

told me to get a medical certificate. She said 1 medical certificate is enough.

Makes sense as medical cert. is required (only) for extension from 2 year license.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2018 at 8:07 PM, bluesofa said:

approved translator

certified translator by which organization?

I'm living not far Sawang Daen Din since nearly 14 years ;

the first time I came to the Amphur, the civil servant who makes official papers for foreigners answered to me : it doesn't exist :cheesy: .....

Because she never saw one before , so it doesn't exist ..

Now she knows she can make a yellow tabian ban for foreigners;

And I know also that it serves strictly nothing except to prove his place of residence; it saves 500 baht at the immigration office every 5 years .. !!

100 baht each year .. 
At Sakon Nakhon they require a certificate of residence when applying for an extension of their driving license; (motobike + sedans, pickup, minibus)
they also want a medical certificate; it must be delivered by a doctor to the public hospital

Those who, like me, have been living in Thailand for a long time know very well that each province does its own personal cooking with regard to all administrative documents;
what is valid in Chonburi is not valid in Udon Thani or Sakon Nakhon ...but maybe will be tomorrow ...:crazy:

and last thing is not useless,
if you present the day after the anniversary date of your license you will get six years of license and not five.

I just renewed my 5 year car and 2 year bike license in Ubon 2 days ago. Seems like requirements changed slightly since last update here ( or a different staff working that day [emoji6] )
I handed in for both license renewals:
2 x Passport Main Page copies
2x Visa Page copies
2x Entry Stamp copies
2x Work Permit copies ( Main page and latest stamp page )
2x Yellow Book
1x Car Drivers license copy
1x Motorbike Drivers license copy

She took everything. Returned the copies of my drivers licenses and told me to get a medical certificate. She said 1 medical certificate is enough. Got the certificate ( I think I paid 60 Baht for it...or 80? ). Returned, went to the first floor with the documents, handed them in and was told to return at 13:00. That is their testing / lecturing time.
I returned at 13:00, had to take a color blind test, listened to a lecture in Thai for about 30 minutes ( make sure your mobile phone battery is fully charged....you may be bored out of your mind ). Paid the license fees ( 855 Baht for both ). Had picture taken and got both my licenses within a few minutes. Done.

Edit:
I went to the same DLT as Isan Farang located here: 15.279968, 104.861503

8 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Don’t know when I posted that but I got them renewed a while back, no problemo!

IsaanbikerSame with me in UBON, done it last 20yrs never had problem and every time super easy and doing 5yr renewal in Main DLT https://goo.gl/maps/enFVzL9nsrUhgnGE8

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

What different kinds of documents do they accept for proof of residence?

I asked Ubon Immigration recently for a proof of residence doc and the answer was, "Not our job. Tourist police do that"

Edited by FruitPudding

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

What different kinds of documents do they accept for proof of residence?

I asked Ubon Immigration recently for a proof of residence doc and the answer was, "Not our job. Tourist police do that"

Update on renewing Thai driver's licence (December 2019):
Today I exchanged my temporary driver's license (2 years) for one of 5 years, at DLT Ubon, Ring Road.
No test was required, I only handed over copies of the following: temporary driver's license (+ original), passport and visa (+ original), medical certificate, yellow tabien baan and pink ID card (or proof of residence by the Tourist Police).

With COVID-19, the situation has changed a little with renewing a 5 year driving licence in Ubon. I renewed my 5 year licence in late March. There is still a seminar, but you have to listen to it on-line here.

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/index.php

It takes one hour. All in Thai. To enter the site, one must put in one's ID number (whatever is on the existing drivers licence passport number or ID number) and drivers licence number. Once in, sit back, have a coffee, have a beer, do some gardening. 

Most people do this on their mobile telephone. I did mind on my computer.

At the end a sign comes up to say that you have participated in the seminar. With a mobile phone, a image is captured which you must show when going back to the transport office. As my image was on my computer, the front desk lady was not sure that I had indeed listened to the seminar. However, once she entered my ID and drivers licence numbers it showed I had.

Upstairs one shows this image to the first desk, along with your house registration, passport if you are still using a passport and of course the old drivers licence. No medical check is needed.

Then the eyesight tests are conducted in another room. Only takes 10 minutes or so.

Back to the main office to take a photo, pay the fee and the new licence is printed very quickly.

What I like about this new procedure is that the office is not crowded, people sit two seats apart and the seminar can be listened to in the comfort of one's home.