Celery Seed

popshirt

I'm afraid you can't get it here, you're right. I have it brought over from Hong Kong, (Great! supermarket), or buy it in London. It's also very good for gout prevention, so I'm told. What's the recipe of your salad dressing?

Salad Dressing recipe:

1/2 cup oil

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cider vinegar (or equal parts white and balsamic vinegar)

1/2 Tbsp. dry mustard

1/2 Tbsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. salt

the celery seed is really critical as flavouring........dressing improves with age when kept in refrigerator

sometimes I also add chopped garlic

and for Thai guests a little chili

Celery powder is available at most foodlands, I've found celery seed off and on at Villa over the years. To sub the powder add about 1/3 to 1/4 of what is called for in seed. I use it quite often in dressings, and home made mayonnaise.

I've found certain dried spices to be way over priced, and have gone to buying bulk on the net and then vacuum packing and freezing them. Just checked celery seed at one of my sources and I can get about 450 gms for around 100 Baht. I have a lot of folks traveling back and forth to the states, so its easy to get someone to carry it back for me, if you don't have that available, shipping is not too bad, when you consider local costs, and these can be sent sent snail mail, so not so expensive if you have the time.

LtLos