Terminal 2 at U-Tapao airport to be fully opened in February

webfact

Terminal 2 at U-Tapao airport to be fully opened in February

By The Nation

U-T.jpg

File photo: Prachat

The second passenger terminal building at U-Tapao International Airport will be fully opened in February, the airport's director said.

Rear Adm Luachai Sri-iamkul, the director of the airport, said the new terminal has been partially opened for domestic flight passengers and for inbound international flight passengers.

He said the airport would have to build more toilets to cope with the high number of passengers and to open bidding for the commercial management of the building so that there would be shops and restaurants for passengers.

The director said the outbound immigration police booths and work on some shops has yet to be completed.

Luachai said all the facilities should be ready by February next year.

He said the second terminal building, which is about 80 per cent complete, covers 22,000 square metres and can accommodate 3 million passengers a year but with effective management, the building could accommodate up to 5 million passengers a year.

Luachai said 2 million passengers used the airport last year and this year the number could rise to 2.5 million.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358145

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-08

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

The second passenger terminal building at U-Tapao International Airport will be fully opened in February, the airport's director said. {snipped}

He said the airport would have to build more toilets to cope with the high number of passengers and to open bidding for the commercial management of the building so that there would be shops and restaurants for passengers.

"would have to," not "will have to". It could be the way it has been translated, but the use of "would" doesn't give the impression it's been approved, or even underway.

It looks to me that if it does open in four months, it will do so with virtually non of the above facilities available.

Seems odd there's no photo-op with the director, to go with this dubious piece of PR.

It's a convenient airport for myself, flying in from KL.

One thing that has changed for the worse is the transportation to Pattaya. In the old terminal there was at least two companies offering a mini-bus to Pattaya at 250 Baht, now there is only one. So now when arriving and trying to get a mini-bus the answer is always "mini-bus over an hour wait, we have taxi Bht1,000"

That's almost as much as coming from BKK!!

Maybe it will improve, but I won't hold my breath.

They did not state the year; that Terminal is used for arrivals for a year+ now already.

The taxi/bus situation is a disaster. Arriving from CNX on the first morning flight I had to wait for the flight arriving from Udon (old timetable that is) and the „taxi“ offered for THB 250 was actually a minibus for which I had to wait 130 minutes. The driver must have been paid on the speed. Wanted to get dropped off at Central downtown Pattaya; ended up getting off the van at 2nd road/South Pattaya road as he intended to go North first and then only to Central. 

Never again; ever since I‘m back to Bangkok. The Udon-Utapao flight would be perfect for me but I cannot stand fools gladly and those birds at the taxi stand in Utapao are just too much. 

But there again, somebody is making big money with monopoly while providing just yet another f“*ç%d-up service for which this country is known. 

The terminal and supporting infrastructure is a usual Thai joke. The planning and all that goes in to a project of this sort is as normal non-existent. They say the terminal is going to open but they still need to build toilets and restaurants and such? What the heck?

On 11/9/2018 at 6:15 AM, Treebeard said:

we have taxi Bht1,000

I have a private guy who will do it for 800, very reliable he spent time in the USA and learned to drive there so is a good driver and speaks perfect English Danny +66 (0) 655344495 can find him on LINE and Whatsapp with this number, hope that might help

Archived