7-Eleven launches campaign to 'reduce and stop' use of plastic bags

webfact

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, balo said:

Doing a good job are you Mr All ? 10 years project and your staff are still handing out plastic bags like it was coins. 

Encouraging a voluntary scheme certainly won't overcome steadfast conditioning. 

Requires a dead on mandated policy - no plastics distributed whatsoever. 

In time, most [employees and customers alike] will be acclimated.......[in theory]

8 hours ago, cmsally said:

So no more take away drinks and ready meals in a plastic box then.  :cheesy:

One would hope they give away the canvas bags for free, or at least free with every xx amount of purchase.

There actually is an additive to help the plastic bags break down fast, just no one is using it. Made from a coconut oil base. . Just a hard program to control as they need to control the timing. Only messes with the bags integrity if stored too long in wrong conditions, but 7-11 has a high overturn in sales each day, so in reality for them, not that difficult. I applaud their starting effort as situation is a bit out of control. FYI. I do know the manufacturer of this in S E Asia. 

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

"...CP All, the founder of 7-Eleven in Thailand..."

I suggest the Nation reporters get their facts straight.

Wikipedia:  "CP All Public Company Limited, was established in 1988 by the Charoen Pokphand Group to operate convenience store businesses in Thailand under the 7-Eleven trademark. The company was granted a license to use the trademark by 7-Eleven, Inc., USA. In 1989, the first 7-Eleven outlet in Thailand was opened on Patpong Road.[4]"'

In simple English 7/11 is a master brand / the master brand is not owned by CP All or CP.

CP All holds a franchise in Thailand from the offshore owners of the master brand, allowing CP All to use the 7/11 name, logo, colours, branding etc., and CP All must operate the shops within the very detailed and strict rules of the offshore master brand owner.

Also true, there are some 7/11 outlets in Thailand that are not under CP All, these outlet operators have franchises direct with the offshore master brand owner. 

Why is it so difficult for the English language (and Thai language) media to publish fully correct reports?

Why do such things appear to concern you so much?

Of all the text in the OP it seems an odd thing to write an essay about.

1 minute ago, shy coconut said:

Why do such things appear to concern you so much?

Of all the text in the OP it seems an odd thing to write an essay about.

Re-read the headline and next line.

Do you expect news headlines to be correct? I do.

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Re-read the headline and next line.

Do you expect news headlines to be correct? I do.

.....and competent research/fact-checking, editing, and general proof reading.

I do, as well. Kinda old school about such things. 

Unfortunate, these traits aren't applicable towards today's journalistic pursuits. 

When I read the title I thought good, finally. Then I read the article. In other words, nothing will happen. 

They started in 2007??? They should be ashamed to make such a statement!

It's so simple: just stop giving any plastic bags. Bring your own or if you really need one charge 5 baht per bag. Within weeks everybody WILL bring their own bag.

Also the government should push this and not allow stores to give plastic bags for free (like in the Netherlands).

These actions can be implemented very easy if they wanted.

IF THEY WANTED!!!

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Whatever the subject on this site (which is not in question) everything is criticized demolished or ridiculed I have rarely seen such a gathering of negative minds.

Common, when you make a statement that you started a project in 2007 to reduce plastic bags, you know it's all about PR. They really don't give a F. Otherwise they would have banned all plastic bags in their shops already. 

That is why everyone is giving negative comments. Did you read the article? 

There would be an outrage among Thais if they started charging 5 baht for a bag , so they don't dare to do it. Thais don't care much about the environment as long as they get their daily feed. 

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

"...CP All, the founder of 7-Eleven in Thailand..."

I suggest the Nation reporters get their facts straight.

Wikipedia:  "CP All Public Company Limited, was established in 1988 by the Charoen Pokphand Group to operate convenience store businesses in Thailand under the 7-Eleven trademark. The company was granted a license to use the trademark by 7-Eleven, Inc., USA. In 1989, the first 7-Eleven outlet in Thailand was opened on Patpong Road.[4]"'

In simple English 7/11 is a master brand / the master brand is not owned by CP All or CP.

CP All holds a franchise in Thailand from the offshore owners of the master brand, allowing CP All to use the 7/11 name, logo, colours, branding etc., and CP All must operate the shops within the very detailed and strict rules of the offshore master brand owner.

Also true, there are some 7/11 outlets in Thailand that are not under CP All, these outlet operators have franchises direct with the offshore master brand owner. 

Why is it so difficult for the English language (and Thai language) media to publish fully correct reports?

copy    essentially a thai trademark    watches from india    copy

3 hours ago, balo said:

There would be an outrage among Thais if they started charging 5 baht for a bag , so they don't dare to do it. Thais don't care much about the environment as long as they get their daily feed. 

transfer that to policing the roads and same same

11 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I already operate my own campaign at 7-11. I refuse the plastic straw and plastic bag then carry my snack and soft drink can to my car disposing of the can in the recycle bin after my refreshment break.

dont bother its not gonna make a difference

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Handout to explain to staff, in a much earlier senior position in Thailand i was well ware that 99% of the company staff had never had anything explained to them.

I started  a process to get them informed. I instructed the admin. manager to write a quick handout (numbered and dated) in Thai and English to be given to every staff member after every meeting or whatever. She fought me / refused on the basis it was not necessary and a waste of time. I sacked her (there were other reasons).

I recruited a new admin. mngr telling her in the first interview that I wanted a quick handout to staff....  She agreed and said 'what a good idea'. She got the job and was fabulous at quickly producing these handouts.

I ten started a fun quiz process, about 2 or 3 days a week 'who can share the details about... from your staff bulletin yesterday, dn the first answer, if correct, got free lunch.

It worked, the staff loved it and quickly I got direct comments from staff telling they now understand why the company makes certain decisions / i'm now able to give customer much better information and it impresses our customers...

Yes a bit of work but well worth it. 

you shouldnt be in charge of anything if you cant spell

WE need to do our part. Bring plastic or good, strong bags whenever we shop. And absolutely refuse to buy plastic water bottles. They are a huge culprit. 

I bring stainless steel or bpa free bottles with me wherever I go. I always bring my own water to restaurants unless they serve water from the 20 liter bottles in pitchers. Nobody ever complains. 

We simply cannot complain about plastic and the environment, and then do absolutely nothing to prevent the coming catastrophe. We must take some responsibility. 

9 hours ago, Kevbo said:

That's what I suspected, but they can still splash their advertising all over it, and they can charge us a nominal fee of a few pence to cover production costs instead of "fining" us for using plastic

Yes, thats right and it has been done unfortunately with the result of loosing customers to competitors who continue with plastic bags. It seems that the only way is to ban the plastic bags through regulations so there are no plastic bags available anywhere - but it seems to be a long way until we are there….

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

WE need to do our part. Bring plastic or good, strong bags whenever we shop. And absolutely refuse to buy plastic water bottles. They are a huge culprit. 

I bring stainless steel or bpa free bottles with me wherever I go. I always bring my own water to restaurants unless they serve water from the 20 liter bottles in pitchers. Nobody ever complains. 

We simply cannot complain about plastic and the environment, and then do absolutely nothing to prevent the coming catastrophe. We must take some responsibility. 

Hard to disagree on that, BUT unfortunately it seems to be only feasible in a perfect world quite different from the planet Earth....

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I emailed 7 Eleven customer service to ask why my branch didn't do this. No reply. I emailed a second time a few weeks later, still no reply.

What they say on their website and PR statements has nothing to do with how they operate in reality.

This is exactly what the country needs; action instead of the usual tut-tutting. Well done bluesofa. 

I will not go into a 7-11 now; since the bread scandal last week.

I'm not bothered personally about plastic bags as they have been a great help for me transporting koi carp.

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

Hard to disagree on that, BUT unfortunately it seems to be only feasible in a perfect world quite different from the planet Earth....

Not sure I agree, or even understand, but how did you change the font half way through the post?

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This is exactly what the country needs; action instead of the usual tut-tutting. Well done bluesofa. 

I will not go into a 7-11 now; since the bread scandal last week.

I'm not bothered personally about plastic bags as they have been a great help for me transporting koi carp.

Bit off topic , but what was the bread scandal last week at 7/11 ?

I missed that, have you got a link ?

Tried the Tv search function, but is as useful as a chocolate monkey wrench.

Anyone.

Thanks Stan.

2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Bit off topic , but what was the bread scandal last week at 7/11 ?

I missed that, have you got a link ?

Tried the Tv search function, but is as useful as a chocolate monkey wrench.

Anyone.

Thanks Stan.

Yes Stan, I can help. Bluesofa had an altercation at a 7-11 and it went right to the top. Search 'bluesofa' and '7 eleven rant'.

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Absolute rubbish.

More than a year ago I saw on the 7 Eleven website a CSR statement about them doing this, having previously trialled it in a few branches.

The page said staff were now supposed to ask customers making a single item purchase if they wanted a bag.

I emailed 7 Eleven customer service to ask why my branch didn't do this. No reply. I emailed a second time a few weeks later, still no reply.

What they say on their website and PR statements has nothing to do with how they operate in reality.

Just paying lip service. After years of staying in Thailand, I realized Thai mentality is to look good acting for all to see but underneath the facade, lies another. There is no conscientious undertaking to better the environment ... the mindset must be changed from the top down the chain of command. First step is to have more garbage bins placed in strategic areas for people to dispose their plastics. Another is to have a comprehensive program to recycle the plastics. This initiative is a better option to kick start the recycling program. I have seen a green energy factory in japan where the waste industrial water is recycled 100% within the factory compound. None ever trickle outside . It can be done even here in Thailand. 

Yesterday I went to a lotus telco shopping complex in bangna. Went looking for a garbage bin to throw some wrappers and guess what. Entire complex only have some bins at the toilet side ( on the second floor). On the way to the parking area, I thought there should be bins placed strategically by the sliding exit door but no. 

None found. So guess what? You see small piles of garbage at the side of the exit doors. This has been going on for at least 4/5 years since it opened . Thai mentality regarding garbage disposal. 

Archived