7-Eleven launches campaign to 'reduce and stop' use of plastic bags

webfact

2 hours ago, ttrd said:

Hard to disagree on that, BUT unfortunately it seems to be only feasible in a perfect world quite different from the planet Earth....

I disagree that we need a perfect world in order to do something about the plastic catastrophe.

A change in consciousness must start at the most basic level. Most Thais think plastic is the best thing ever invented, and the percentage of Thais that even consider the negative ramifications of plastic is incredibly small. This requires some education. I always do two things to avoid the consumption of plastic.

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I force her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can. 

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away. 

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing. 

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference. 

There really is no need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. There is alot we can do, if we say we care.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I read, this seems to me to be a way to get more people onto their stupid discount card. They can get people to not use plastic bags by not offering plastic bags at the counter. Zero plastic bags in store. No Thais ever walk in Thailand so how hard is it for them to have a few reusable bags in the motorcycle seat or in their car for when they go shopping. Just pig ignorance from Thais.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Not sure I agree, or even understand, but how did you change the font half way through the post?

Its not the first time you have admitted Your misunderstandings - as a start to be able to change that it may be helpful to focus otherwise...….:whistling:

52 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

There's an apostrophe in 'shouldn't' and also in 'can't'.

You win today's irony award.

While other win the cavil award….:coffee1:

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I disagree that we need a perfect world in order to do something about the plastic catastrophe.

A change in consciousness must start at the most basic level. Most Thais think plastic is the best thing ever invented, and the percentage of Thais that even consider the negative ramifications of plastic is incredibly small. This requires some education. I always do two things to avoid the consumption of plastic.

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I force her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can. 

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away. 

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing. 

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves a lot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference. 

There really is no need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. There is a lot we can do, if we say we care.

Great post. On the whole I agree;;; but!! I have highlighted the parts where I would like to comment (hope you don't mind?).

Firstly, the word 'catastrophe'. I personally prefer 'dilemma'.

Then there is the part, and i quote, "Do I care? Not one iota." Are you saying that the Thai thing about losing  'face' you don't consider to be important to you?

Then there is, and i again quote, "I force her to." How? Might be useful for me to know how when I'm trying to make a point.

And, "I use a plastic bottle dozens of times." Me too! But for me the taste deteriorates after 10 or so refills. I wash the bottle before refilling it. I'd like your thoughts on this spidermike007; please.

Lastly; "There really is no need to be consuming water in plastic bottles." I hear you loud and clear spidermike007, but I find bottles useful when I'm going across country on my mountain bike. I just pop a couple into my shirt when I set off. Must be careful in Thailand with dehydration creeping up unexpectedly. Can't be too careful out there in the wilds.

ps: I do not like metal stuff in my mouth. So I don't drink from metal cups.

8 minutes ago, ttrd said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

There's an apostrophe in 'shouldn't' and also in 'can't'.

You win today's irony award.

While other win the cavil award….:coffee1:

Unless there's something else, I'm guessing it's this one for Henry Cavill?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0147147/awards

I see there's a section in there for Ten Teen Choice Awards

I stay at accommodation opposite a 7-11. Strange as it may seem, I like their 3-in-one coffee so I go there as my day starts and get my java. When I cash out, the staff like to put it in a bag and create a handle, as if my hand would get burnt by the cup ! But a "no bag" comment halts the supply of a bag quite easily (which would have been disposed of a few minutes later).

7-11 should be leading the way. Don't just talk about it ...... DO IT.

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Absolute rubbish.

More than a year ago I saw on the 7 Eleven website a CSR statement about them doing this, having previously trialled it in a few branches.

The page said staff were now supposed to ask customers making a single item purchase if they wanted a bag.

I emailed 7 Eleven customer service to ask why my branch didn't do this. No reply. I emailed a second time a few weeks later, still no reply.

What they say on their website and PR statements has nothing to do with how they operate in reality.

My thoughts exactly.....They dont ask, which is all they need to do to remind customers of the problem with plastic.

I was in Hong Kong recently. I bought a few items from 7-ELEVEN. Habitually (having lived in Thailand for a while) I waited for the cashier to put the items into a plastic bag, and was quite surprised when he left them on the counter and started to serve the next customer. I then realised that they did not issue bags at all, and so gathered up my items and rather awkwardly carried them out in my arms. It's quite simple for the store isn't it? Simply stop using them. I'll say it again... "Simply stop using them". Customers will learn extremely quickly to bring their own bag if they need to carry more than a few items. I don't see why CP All has to "initiate projects", to "announce missions", to "implement programs", to "introduce activities", to "organize campaigns", to "invite people to stop using...", to "establish communication plans "...it's pathetic isn't it...JUST REMOVE THEM FROM THE STORES! Overnight the problem is solved!

I'm old enough to remember only glass bottles were sold in shops, that must have been late 70's . What is the problem with glass ? They can be melted down easily and reused?   

Called in at 7-11 to get some beer (Rimping had no large Leo cans). Went to the cashier and first thing she went for was a plastic carrier bag. Politely refused. Been taking my own carrier bag to various supermarkets for a couple of months now and generally get a smile when I produce it at the cashier.

I'm old enough to remember only glass bottles were sold in shops, that must have been late 70's . What is the problem with glass ? They can be melted down easily and reused?   
The problem with glass is its heavy,breaks easily and is very dangerous once broken.

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Great post. On the whole I agree;;; but!! I have highlighted the parts where I would like to comment (hope you don't mind?).

Firstly, the word 'catastrophe'. I personally prefer 'dilemma'.

Both words fit the bill!

Then there is the part, and i quote, "Do I care? Not one iota." Are you saying that the Thai thing about losing  'face' you don't consider to be important to you?

Correct. Not important at all. It is their issue. If someone wants to be as petty as to lose face over bringing their own water to a restaurant, that is not my issue, on any level. Likewise if a waiter is embarrassed because I brought my own water, they have some inner work to do! And if a cashier gives me a funny look, do I care? As i said, not one iota. What strangers think of me means nothing to me.

Then there is, and i again quote, "I force her to." How? Might be useful for me to know how when I'm trying to make a point.

I simply discuss it with her, and emphasize how important it is to me. Sometimes, I find with Thai people you have to use a round about way of reasoning. You are constantly telling me you love me. This is one way you can demonstrate that love, on a practical level. OK? It means alot to me. So, please bring the bottle when we go out, and keep the reusable bags in the car. OK honey? Stop accepting those damn plastic bags whenever they are offered to you. There is a price to be paid for each bag, environmentally. 

And, "I use a plastic bottle dozens of times." Me too! But for me the taste deteriorates after 10 or so refills. I wash the bottle before refilling it. I'd like your thoughts on this spidermike007; please.

Yes, use sturdier BPA free bottles. You can order them on ebay, and they ship here from China, free. They are inexpensive. Really worth it. The normal bottles start to degrade after two or three uses.

Lastly; "There really is no need to be consuming water in plastic bottles." I hear you loud and clear spidermike007, but I find bottles useful when I'm going across country on my mountain bike. I just pop a couple into my shirt when I set off. Must be careful in Thailand with dehydration creeping up unexpectedly. Can't be too careful out there in the wilds.

Again, use the sturdier bottles, that last hundreds of fills. The normal plastic bottles end up in the ocean, and even when recycled, only 55% of the plastic is reused.

ps: I do not like metal stuff in my mouth. So I don't drink from metal cups.

The stainless steel bottles leave no flavor in the water. They are amazing.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

2 hours ago, ianwheldale said:

Called in at 7-11 to get some beer (Rimping had no large Leo cans). Went to the cashier and first thing she went for was a plastic carrier bag. Politely refused. Been taking my own carrier bag to various supermarkets for a couple of months now and generally get a smile when I produce it at the cashier.

My local fakimy Mart never offera my bags or straws.... on Saud to me.......that arranges don't like plastics... The message is getting through.

However one needs to appreciate how and where plastic is used and what happens to itthe.......... plastic bags from shops are only one part of a huge problem.

Glass is only an alternative in certain instances....and so is paper....... much requires a change of lifestyle away inconvenience goods etc.

I may have mentioned this before, but the last 3 times I have been to a pharmacy (all different ones, by the way), the assistant has asked me if I want a plastic bag for my purchases. Up until a few months ago they automatically gave me a bag whether I asked for one or not - so the message is beginning to get through at some levels.

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

I like plastic bags....Very convent.....I never plan to stop using plastic bags....

"Liking" plastic bags is fine but liking the beautiful environment of Thailand should weigh above our personal "likes". A second best is to use the bag responsibly, reuse it many times versus tossing it as soon as emptied. There are many uses.

In the country where I live, we are always ask if we want a bag and in most stores, we are charged a small fee for the bag. I usually have one or two on my person in the event that I have forgotten my "reusable" bag in the car.

It's a program that takes time to ingrain in society. But it has been adapted successfully in many countries. It could be adapted in Thailand too (even by plastic bag die-hards).

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Convent, with catholic nuns, do they issue plastic bags? 

No, they are opposed to plastic (or rubber(s) which also hold little things and "contain" something).

But these are not reusable.

9 hours ago, changside said:

Highly laudable, but you compare at your own risk....you can't necessarily draw the same conclusion........Thailand, with a much larger population than Ireland, also has a very large poor population and the poorer the population the more dependant they are on single use plastics...They make daily life affordable. Reducing plastic use in Thailand requires an almost revolutionary change in the way the country is run.

It has the biggest rich/poor divide in the world after India and Russia.

11 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Highly laudable, but you compare at your own risk....you can't necessarily draw the same conclusion........Thailand, with a much larger population than Ireland, also has a very large poor population and the poorer the population the more dependant they are on single use plastics...They make daily life affordable. Reducing plastic use in Thailand requires an almost revolutionary change in the way the country is run.

It has the biggest rich/poor divide in the world after India and Russia.

"the poorer the population the more dependant they are on single use plastics"

I don't see the logic in your words here. The "poor" tend to be more resourceful as a rule. They repurpose things that the more-well-to-do would readily discard.

So how can "single use plastics" make daily life more affordable?

I live in a village, a shop next door,  another 50 yards down the street. Buy a packet of aspirins and you get a plastic bag to carry them home in. From the start I said no plastic and bought a reusable bag (think Aldi)  I was probably considered a weirdo.  The shops now know and accept my curious behaviour.

Perhaps a national campaign can change attitudes, are Thais so resistant to international trends?

Yes, I know they're thick, I've been married to a band of them for 15 years.

19 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

I live in a village, a shop next door,  another 50 yards down the street. Buy a packet of aspirins and you get a plastic bag to carry them home in. From the start I said no plastic and bought a reusable bag (think Aldi)  I was probably considered a weirdo.  The shops now know and accept my curious behaviour.

Perhaps a national campaign can change attitudes, are Thais so resistant to international trends?

Yes, I know they're thick, I've been married to a band of them for 15 years.

When I go to Big C they pack the heavy stuff in double bags. Ok service as things might fall thru. They are mostly struggling to get like 6 packs in the small bags.

Recently I brought my reusable bag for avoiding all those double bags and the hassle (for them!). To my surprise they didn't pack my shopping in the reusable bag. Had to do it myself, what?? I found that rather confusing as I save them and the environment at least 4 bags on one go and save them the hassle too. Ok, no reusable bag anymore.

Yeah, LOL, curious behavior.

Archived