Strangers talking on baht buses in these "interesting" times

Jingthing

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

My next door neighbour is a Trump supporter, but otherwise a really nice guy, he's an American, I'm a Brit. Trump, for us, is the elephant in the room, we just don't talk about him.

Just about every Russian I've ever met sings the praises of Putin. I remember meeting a young Russian guy in a club in Samui. He was living and working there. Very switched on and Westernised. I thought he, at least might have something negative to say about Putin. Nope, absolutely loved the guy.

Yeah I'm aware most Russians like Putin but I've yet to see a Russian approach a non-Russian on a baht bus and start talking about how great Putin is. 

Just now, BritManToo said:

Never met anyone, Thai or foreigner, that mentioned America who wasn't American.

What you lot get up to just doesn't bother the rest of the world.

Most Thais think that America is part of Australia, or vice-versa.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I'm American, and plenty of folks from other countries have asked me about Trump. They seemed surprised when I tell them I think he is an existential threat to democracy and the world (if he gets his way). I ride baht buses. I don't go to bars.

Yes, I think in the majority of cases these days when an American meets another American abroad, or an American meets a non-American, that the current president (no need to call names) is usually very high on people's minds, usually at the TOP of their minds to talk about. Is this person pro or con? What does he think about the situation? In many cases of course people are reticent to bring it up for the fear that they will disagree with the person. So it's more polite to NOT talk about it. But it's most usually there whether discussed openly or avoided.

I'm going to amend this comment. I should say SOME nationalities. For example, Thai people in my experience are very rarely interested in matters outside of Thailand. 

So it's more like when an American meets a nationality like a French person.

But back to the OP, what seems new to me is hearing random people that are NOT Americans starting to talk about the USA very quickly. That seems like a big change. 

I have a theory as to why.

Whether people have agreed or disagreed with the USA's role in the world as the so called "leader of the free world" there is little doubt internationally that the current dominant U.S. leadership party has radically WITHDRAWN from that. So the world in general is dealing with an identity crisis. Who is your Daddy now? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

i think maybe you should get out a bit more mate . 

I would have thought that the contents of JTs post (and many others of his) indicate that he does get out.....a lot.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, malibukid said:

i just tell everyone i am a Canadian now, eh.

I have done that in the past in situations where I reasonably fear having my food poisoned (such at an Iranian restaurant in Malaysia) but these days I just suck it up if asked and spit it out and then watch the "interesting" reactions. I don't seek out situations where the question of nationality comes up, but of course, it often does.