Strangers talking on baht buses in these "interesting" times

Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The informed world recognises a dictator when they see one.

Something happened that has not happened before.

For the first time they see a demonstrably unhinged, bullying, aggressive, spiteful, vicious megalomaniac (who revealed themselves so from the outset) in charge of the US and its power.

America put him there.

All the old ideas (however mistaken) that might have existed about the inherent "down home" goodness of America and it's "dream" are now well and truly gone.

No wonder they are talking about it.

Yes, but please try to tone down the explicit political comments here.

I'm much more interested in starting this thread on the HUMAN factors of these "interesting" encounters and discussions these days between different nationalities. Regardless of where the specific people fall on the opinion scale of feelings about the current U.S. leadership. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Who is your Daddy now? 

"Daddy" has gone away.

Meet abusive "Wicked Stepfather".

If he was passive there would not be such concern.

However he just can't keep his hands to himself.

Is that good enough reason for the "vulnerable" to converse with each other........on baht buses.......or anywhere else?

Edited by Enoon

Jingthing 

Generally I talk to anybody- why not- I think it’s something I learnt from my Mum who was from Lancashire- they chat and are very friendly from that part of England . 

Perhaps the world is so appalled by the presence of that ghastly man in the White House - and what goes on in America can affect us all ( to some degree) .

Well I suppose as you charge about Pattaya hunting down the best dhosas in town it will keep you amused. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"Daddy" has gone away.

Meet abusive "Wicked Stepfather".

If he was passive there would not be such concern.

However he just can't keep his hands to himself.

Is that good enough reason for the "vulnerable" to converse with each other........on baht buses.......or anywhere else?

I'm perfectly OK with these "interesting" encounters happening on baht buses, or anywhere else. But as I said in the OP personally I really have noticed an INCREASE.

16 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Jingthing 

Generally I talk to anybody- why not- I think it’s something I learnt from my Mum who was from Lancashire- they chat and are very friendly from that part of England . 

Perhaps the world is so appalled by the presence of that ghastly man in the White House - and what goes on in America can affect us all ( to some degree) .

Well I suppose as you charge about Pattaya hunting down the best dhosas in town it will keep you amused. 

Obviously I also think he is extremely ghastly, but again, I want to at least TRY to persuade people to focus more on the HUMAN FACTORS of these "interesting" encounters between strangers of different nationalities as opposed to explicit political opinion point making. 

Why do I care?

Because members are not allowed to open political debate topics, that's why.

So if this morphs into only being a political debate topic, it cannot stand.

So the topic is more of a HUMAN INTEREST type thing, if y'all can deal with that.

OK, I'm a realist. Y'all probably can't but heck at least I tried. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, allanos said:

Utter nonsense!

Exactly right if some topic like boring USA politics is on your mind 24/7 then you THINK everyone else is thinking the same if American or not. I just spent six months in ( I guess) liberal Boston. I meet a lot of people in my work and socially. Politics rarely come up EVER! Sooo much more to talk and discuss about. I go out in Cambridge MA a lot and it’s the same. Some topics are hot on TVF but in the real world simply are not. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wear a MAGA hat and observe what will happen...

JackBlackTrumpGettyImages-632470846.jpg.6809bc82da84f46213d0bde63eac1d6e.jpg&key=89f9be9cae645613e0d45c68f8f0460de4ea4de68cada79222d6dbcd8806f012

I've never seen anyone wearing one here. Have other people? On the other hand it's not unusual to see Russians wearing Putin merch.

Then there are is the popular American flag logo clothing. Not usually political expression per se more like fashion and mostly worn by non Americans here.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Excellent question OP. I became interested in America because it is such a different Democracy from what we in Europe are used to. Just one example, I grew up in Sweden with free Education and free health care (not really free but paid for collectively by all citizens), I just took all that for granted until I learned that America had neither of these. That was when I started to look into the social and politics of the USA a bit more closer. Of course all the culture sprouting out of the US (Hollywood, Music) helps a lot to spread knowledge of the Country. The numerous school shootings all over the US has put America in focus for all the rest of the world, and highlights the fact that USA is the one and only "Western" country that allow any citizen to have firearms. I'm fascinated by the fact that everyone knows all politics are run by big money, the defense industry, and politicians regularly sneak into boards of those industries and back to politics, with impunity, and nobody seems to see anything wrong with it, and there is no will to stop it. 

I think that is the main reason why so many people not American know so much about America, pure fascination that it is still calling itself a Democracy while actually being a Big business and Industrial Oligarchy.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The main reason I drive my car round Pattaya now is because it allows me to avoid overhearing daft conversations on bahtbuses. Silence is golden.

Do you always take your car around Pattaya? All I see is constant traffic jams, surely you would be better with a motorbike, you would still avoid the daft conversations and be able to keep on the move.????

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'm single and I live alone. Always have done, always will do.

Well all I can say is when she isn't talking, I just look across the car at that lovely smooth olive skin, long dark hair and  nicely sharped legs clad in a pair of nice white shorts and I can just about put up with most things she does. The pros out way the cons. 

OP, most of the world hates America and by extension hate Americans. Anymore, I keep to myself; I don't talk to strangers on baht buses, stores, bars, etc...

The  upside is that experiencing these foreigners prepared me for the current  Democrats in the USA.  Hate knows no bounds among them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention that I wear my MAGA cap everywhere with pride aswell as my Trump shirts. Yeah I know. Dumb Aussie [emoji846]

Where do you wear the Maga hat? In Pattaya? In Thailand? Like I said I've never seen one here on an American and certainly not on an Aussie.

Interesting to see how many are happy to live in their own little bubble.  I have often enjoyed conversations with strangers.. even made some lasting friendships.. but more often than not learned  a little more about the place I am visiting.  I have traveled a lot over my lifetime.. I am a duel citizen of Canada and Australia and have lived in the UK and visited many other countries.. While I am comfortable striking up a conversation with strangers .. often the entry comes from the other person making a comment or asking a question.. directions etc..  The most memorable thing about many of the places that I have visited is often the people I have met.  

On America.. what I have come to know is that the America that we all know from the news is a very different America from the America that I have experienced as a traveler.  It is quite a few years since I traveled in  the US but I expect it still remains much the same.  Traveling there I found people to be open and generous and curious about the world outside their experience.  Yes.. there is a lot of ignorance about the 'outside' world and their world view is America centric. All the horrible things we are aware of in the US are there .. but the people are much the same as people I have met in many different countries.  

I grew up in Canada and have been interested in American politics since the assassination of President John F Kennedy.. and have been aware of the influence of American politics on the world at large since that time.  

The Trump phenomenon is of interest and concern for very good reason.. the direction that America takes from here affects every person on the planet.. From where we go from here regarding the world's environment and climate change to world security and possible global war..  

Talk about it.. it is important to the survival of our planet..

• Confused 1

OP, most of the world hates America and by extension hate Americans. Anymore, I keep to myself; I don't talk to strangers on baht buses, stores, bars, etc...

The  upside is that experiencing these foreigners prepared me for the current  Democrats in the USA.  Hate knows no bounds among them.

I would not conflate opposition to the president with hatred of Americans in general. Though of course both can exist concurrently.

As I've indicated I generally avoid such charged discussions with strangers on baht busses. But if directly asked my nationality I do say it and I can definitely say the reactions to that have become more "interesting" and even charged in recent years since you know what.

So what are you saying. If asked your nationality here you do what? Play mute? Lie? Really what????

No falang ride the Baht buses near me, except me.

My conversations with Westerners on BTS/MRT are as follows:

1. If they recognize me (especially Swedes and Americans), its all about me.

2. If they dont:

a. Freakin Chinese Tourists

b. Damn Chinese Tourists

c. Damn hot isnt it

d. Where you go, what do you do here

e. Man U, Liverpool, etc.

I have yet to have a discussion about US politics with anyone, even in a bar.. If someone mentions President Trump, pro or con, or any politics at all, I change the subject or nod my head and get off at the next stop.  If someone asks me what my opinion of some political issue is, I say, "im to busy here to pay attention or have an opinion, Ill worry about it when I get back to the US".

I may once in a while say my piece on the net, but thats becasue, like today, its raining or I have no plans.

Edited by Nyezhov

14 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

i think maybe you should get out a bit more mate .

Indeed, everyone I talk to that discuss the USA says how good it is? But I don't sit on the BHAtt bus all day, usually they seem to be full of students or market traders in CM.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

No falang ride the Baht buses near me, except me.

My conversations with Westerners on BTS/MRT are as follows:

1. If they recognize me (especially Swedes and Americans), its all about me.

2. If they dont:

a. Freakin Chinese Tourists

b. Damn Chinese Tourists

c. Damn hot isnt it

d. Where you go, what do you do here

e. Man U, Liverpool, etc.

I have yet to have a discussion about US politics with anyone, even in a bar.. If someone mentions President Trump, pro or con, or any politics at all, I change the subject or nod my head and get off at the next stop.  If someone asks me what my opinion of some political issue is, I say, "im to busy here to pay attention or have an opinion, Ill worry about it when I get back to the US".

I may once in a while say my piece on the net, but thats becasue, like today, its raining or I have no plans.

Wise words indeed.

Interesting to see how many are happy to live in their own little bubble.  I have often enjoyed conversations with strangers.. even made some lasting friendships.. but more often than not learned  a little more about the place I am visiting.  I have traveled a lot over my lifetime.. I am a duel citizen of Canada and Australia and have lived in the UK and visited many other countries.. While I am comfortable striking up a conversation with strangers .. often the entry comes from the other person making a comment or asking a question.. directions etc..  The most memorable thing about many of the places that I have visited is often the people I have met.  

On America.. what I have come to know is that the America that we all know from the news is a very different America from the America that I have experienced as a traveler.  It is quite a few years since I traveled in  the US but I expect it still remains much the same.  Traveling there I found people to be open and generous and curious about the world outside their experience.  Yes.. there is a lot of ignorance about the 'outside' world and their world view is America centric. All the horrible things we are aware of in the US are there .. but the people are much the same as people I have met in many different countries.  

I grew up in Canada and have been interested in American politics since the assassination of President John F Kennedy.. and have been aware of the influence of American politics on the world at large since that time.  

The Trump phenomenon is of interest and concern for very good reason.. the direction that America takes from here affects every person on the planet.. From where we go from here regarding the world's environment and climate change to world security and possible global war..  

Talk about it.. it is important to the survival of our planet..

Well I think strangers on baht busses should feel welcome to talk about it as well and I totally agree that what happens in the USA has an unusually big impact on the world.

But yet again the topic here is more about the human factors of when strangers meet on baht busses and when the subject of the USA comes up. Which in my opinion is much more often in these times.

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

My next door neighbour is a Trump supporter, but otherwise a really nice guy, he's an American, I'm a Brit. Trump, for us, is the elephant in the room, we just don't talk about him.

Just about every Russian I've ever met sings the praises of Putin. I remember meeting a young Russian guy in a club in Samui. He was living and working there. Very switched on and Westernised. I thought he, at least might have something negative to say about Putin. Nope, absolutely loved the guy.

The last Russian that I met sang the praises of Count Mikhail Illarionovich Kutusov*-a worthy and interesting subject far removed from the relentless bores of 1776.

And we are totally over the 'Founding Fathers' and their 2nd (primitive) Amendment are we not?

Prince Kutuzov slugged it out with Napoleon at Borodino..and Leo Tolstoy wrote quite a good book in the aftermath.

It is good to get our history back and not to exist in a 'Saving Private Ryan' universe.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I think strangers on baht busses should feel welcome to talk about it as well and I totally agree that what happens in the USA has an unusually big impact on the world.

But yet again the topic here is more about the human factors of when strangers meet on baht busses and when the subject of the USA comes up. Which in my opinion is much more often in these times.

Yes everyone should be able to discuss whatever they want!

But what's the best way of dealing with someone who has very partisan views or say someone who hates what you like?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Patriot1066 said:

Yes everyone should be able to discuss whatever they want!

But what's the best way of dealing with someone who has very partisan views or say someone who hates what you like?

Do you seriously believe that strangers in a baht bus(generally Thai,I presume) engage in long and involved discussions about the United States and it's mighty leader?

Gaw'd,luva duck...

• Haha 1