Strangers talking on baht buses in these "interesting" times

Jingthing

I'm an American who keeps a very low profile when travelling public transport in Thailand as you should. We live in a very strange world and unless spoken to I don't initiate conversation! If I hear a conversation from English speaking farangs I might offer a glance and laugh to myself if its something I agree or disagree with.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I'm an American who keeps a very low profile when travelling public transport in Thailand as you should. We live in a very strange world and unless spoken to I don't initiate conversation! If I hear a conversation from English speaking farangs I might offer a glance and laugh to myself if its something I agree or disagree with.

If anyone asks these days, I'll just confess that I'm an Albanian.... That's kind of hard for most people to argue with or know better about!   :ph34r:

Hopefully the day will come again when I can confess to being an American in polite circles....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hopefully the day will come again when I can confess to being an American in polite circles..

Don't worry, just don't tell them you're a lefty, and things should work out well.

Tell them you're a Trump supporter, and you might as well be the star of the bahtbus.

Edited by janclaes47

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If anyone asks these days, I'll just confess that I'm an Albanian.... That's kind of hard for most people to argue with or know better about!   :ph34r:

Hopefully the day will come again when I can confess to being an American in polite circles....

Yes for many of us being an American abroad has become embarrassing. Wasn't always so. Is now. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Don't worry, just don't tell them you're a lefty, and things should work out well.

Tell them you're a Trump supporter, and you might as well be the star of the bahtbus.

It depends on the crowd and it's not as easy as people may think to read the crowd of a random bunch on a baht bus. There is often awkwardness and feeling people out in these situations. 

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

seems to me that most USAers I run into, bars - buses, are very comfortable with Trump and 2nd amend.-gun laws

I dont discuss with them though, just cannot avoid hearing their conversation in bars

the way I look at politics - I assume Trump has greater support among USAers in Thailand than he has in the contig. ....

interesting times - brexit and trump, both before thanksgiving and xmas

59 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

seems to me that most USAers I run into, bars - buses, are very comfortable with Trump and 2nd amend.-gun laws

I dont discuss with them though, just cannot avoid hearing their conversation in bars

Well I think that the majority of Americans in Pattaya are pro him and the majority in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are against him. Not sure about Phuket.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Going forward hoping this thread somewhat manages to stay above water, feel encouraged to SHARE your anecdotal personal accounts of such encounters on the baht buses, whether you were directly involved or merely overheard them. 

It's been an interesting topic at least got people talking ????

30 minutes ago, See Will said:

Last time I was using a baht bus somebody was complaining that a few ladyboys mugged him in the baht bus minutes ago. :cheesy:

31 minutes ago, See Will said:

Last time I was using a baht bus somebody was complaining that a few ladyboys mugged him in the baht bus minutes ago. :cheesy:

Hillarious!

10 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

Most conversations I 'over hear' concern about drinks costs, whether the girl was good and what she would do, food poisoning, price of Tuk tuk, cost of two girls etc etc, cost of room, 'bargain' they negotiated in the market, best bar, how pi££sed they got.

hearing aid comment was a JOKE !  thing about you americanos is you take things soooooo seriously.

that is just one of the reasons i came to LIVE in thailand.   Not to ride baht busses in pattaya with the people i came here to get away from.

FYI:   i have been to pattaya many times , along with most places in thailand.  I choose to live away from

farangs.....so i can avoid listening to their conversations.   But to each his own.  This is the pattaya forum

so i guess i got on the wrong baht bus.   Apologies to all who were so offended by my "insult". So far i count two.

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

hearing aid comment was a JOKE !  thing about you americanos is you take things soooooo seriously.

that is just one of the reasons i came to LIVE in thailand.   Not to ride baht busses in pattaya with the people i came here to get away from.

FYI:   i have been to pattaya many times , along with most places in thailand.  I choose to live away from

farangs.....so i can avoid listening to their conversations.   But to each his own.  This is the pattaya forum

so i guess i got on the wrong baht bus.   Apologies to all who were so offended by my "insult". So far i count two.

I was not insulted, but i accept your apologies in advance , just in case you decide to insult me :smile:

You are right though, some Americans are too serious, but nobody's perfect, isn't it..

10 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I was not insulted, but i accept your apologies in advance , just in case you decide to insult me :smile:

You are right though, some Americans are too serious, but nobody's perfect, isn't it..

you're up early !  or are you just coming home from a late night (on a baht bus? )   

you know i don't come on here to insult the good TV people ......just a very few look to pick

a fight with me sometimes.  they obviously don't know that i am ex navy seal and decorated war hero (having survived many a keyboard attack ) !   ????

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, rumak said:

you're up early !  or are you just coming home from a late night (on a baht bus? )   

you know i don't come on here to insult the good TV people ......just a very few look to pick

a fight with me sometimes.  they obviously don't know that i am ex navy seal and decorated war hero (having survived many a keyboard attack ) !   

You're up late ! I am up since 4am waiting to attack someone :tongue:

No late night for me, i stopped drinking, and no baht buses, i have standards, and i just hate the crowds.

Now stop insulting, i was training with Shaolin monks, that Bruce Lee stuff, you know..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You're up late ! I am up since 4am waiting to attack someone :tongue:

No late night for me, i stopped drinking, and no baht buses, i have standards, and i just hate the crowds.

Now stop insulting, i was training with Shaolin monks, that Bruce Lee stuff, you know..

thanks for the early morning humor .   now i better get out of here before JT and his gang come after me !

Like the Jets and the Sharks ....... the pattaya sexpats VS  the chiangmai oldfarts .  (or poolsticks VS canes?)

y'all have a nice day now, heeah

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

thanks for the early morning humor .   now i better get out of here before JT and his gang come after me !

Like the Jets and the Sharks ....... the pattaya sexpats VS  the chiangmai oldfarts .  (or poolsticks VS canes?)

y'all have a nice day now, heeah

Thank you too, enjoy your day, see you mate :smile:

See Im lucky. My schedule and location keeps me away from Farangs, but I have no problem if anyone knows I am from the USA, since I am proud of my country and what it stands for. I really dont care what Euros think, never had and never will, and if other Americans dont share my views, its their right and I dont hurl insults at folks who drink whatever flavour of Kool Aid they choose. I just roll my eyes and let them act childishly.

That being said, whats important to me is what Thais think of me and by reference, Americans, since I am an Ambassador for my country in theirs. Where you from? Ameri-kah. Oooooh...Ameri-kah! You jai dee falang, Ameri-kah jai dee. Yep. Thats the ticket.

If I wanted to be listening to Falangs screech about politics, Id hang out in falang places or go home. If I had to see all the white faces in Pattaya or Sukumnvit all the time I would go nuts. Bad enough that like an addict, I am drawn to some of the threads here. ????

yes,a hijacked topic.answering jingthing's post.......it's trump is n't it!.Whether you love him or hate him he's stirring things up world wide...hence everything coming out of his mouth(divisive)jerks a reaction, an opinion.

Either that or the night life in pattaya has become boring.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes I think Americans are not serious enough. If you don't know what I'm talking about, think about it. 

1 minute ago, Oink said:

I love speaking to people from America, especially the girls from Brazil and Argentina.

But I must admit we have never discussed politics!

That's a pretty specific fetish, dude. There really aren't all that many Brazilian Americans and Argentinian Americans. 

2 hours ago, thasoss said:

yes,a hijacked topic.answering jingthing's post.......it's trump is n't it!.Whether you love him or hate him he's stirring things up world wide...hence everything coming out of his mouth(divisive)jerks a reaction, an opinion.

Either that or the night life in pattaya has become boring.

Yeah it's not exactly a secret. He's usually the orange elephant in the room or on the baht busses when strangers randomly meet and talk USA matters.

Edited by Jingthing