TOTAL DISASTER – The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed – and some are VERY popular with Brits

webfact

TOTAL DISASTER 

The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed – and some are VERY popular with Brits

Which? looked at crime rates, the likelihood of terrorist attacks, natural disasters and health concerns

By Rosie Gizauskas

thesun.jpg

THE world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been named – and they might not be the ones you’d think.

In fact some very popular destinations for Brits are on the list – including the likes of Turkey, Greece and Thailand.

Which? has looked at countries, judging them by several factors, putting together information on crime rates, the likelihood of terrorist attacks, natural disasters and health  concerns in 20 different countries that are popular for holidays.

It was found some parts of the Middle East and North Africa such as Morocco and Jordan are actually safer than many parts of Europe and the US.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/7694124/most-dangerous-countries-holiday/

-- The SUN 2018-11-09

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people book a holiday at the beginning of the year, there could be a coup, insurrection, etc but unless the FCO issue an alert cancelling all insurance policies there are no refunds so they go anyway.

Always been the way, always will be.

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

In fact some very popular destinations for Brits are on the list

Well, not surprising as the survey was done by a British company and published in a British newspaper. I'm sure that if Syria was popular with British tourists, it would have been on the list.

29 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The question must be asked...

Are the listed countries prone to all sorts of disasters and Brits simply visit them?

OR

Are the listed countries which Brits simply visit more prone to disasters?

Inquiring minds want to know...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

The "Brits" are the disasters?  ????

(lighten up, 'tis a JOKE)  

A very misleading article and an even more misleading report that underpins it, what else could we possibly expect from The Sun! A few points:

The report and its data are for 2017.

Crime is grouped under safety and security which includes homicides per 100,000 of the NATIVE POPULATION, not tourists!

The same heading also includes terrorist incidents including those in the southern states which brings the rating way down.

Bizarrely the underlying report, http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2017/ranking/#, doesn't include road traffic accident risks! So the place is more dangerous because of places such as Patini but travelling by road on a motorcycle is OK!

Thailand is also down rated because of its lack of railways. railroad density scores 1.0 on a 7 point scale.

Basically, the report is nonsense from a tourism safety perspective, it's an assortment of loosely related facts that leaves out important factors, were it not for The Sun it might never see the light of day.

Just now, dotpoom said:

I think the chances of getting into trouble, in any country, are increased by a multitude if you like to get drunk on a regular basis and party around the streets at 4.AM in the mornings.

Add to that: riding a 150cc Click everywhere around Thailand, participating in risky sports, visiting areas of known civilian unrest (Yala, Pattini etc), swimming when red flags are displayed and there is no lifeguard on duty, there's a fair chance of becoming a statistic. 

11 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Add to that: riding a 150cc Click everywhere around Thailand, participating in risky sports, visiting areas of known civilian unrest (Yala, Pattini etc), swimming when red flags are displayed and there is no lifeguard on duty, there's a fair chance of becoming a statistic. 

Don't forget, crossing the road!

Italy, France and Greece are dangerous for Brits because they are getting there and they are going mad as nobody understand them even if they are yelling more and more.

BTW this is The Sun right? isn't a toilet paper brand?

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Is it posible these countries are dangerouse because the Brits go there?:tongue:

I'd say that is probably the #1 reason !

Surprised Spain isn't on the list. Didn't that used to be the favourite destination of all the "hooligans" from the UK ? I guess Spain managed to convince them to go to Thailand instead.

Just now, lamyai3 said:

Typical Sun claptrap, only 20 countries on the total list, all well established tourist destinations. According to the article, the only place to safely vacation is Iceland. 

Totally agree.  A broad brush picture done on very little research with the intent to cause alarm.  You cannot extrapolate overall general crime rate to being that which affects tourists; how many of those crimes involve tourists as a victim when compared to general crime rates?  Different countries have totally different crime situations in different regions so you cannot simply compare on a country wide basis.  The statistical analysis is completely flawed.

It reminds me of when I was asked by a senior police officer on how to reduce the incidence of rape as there had been a Y on Y increase of 9%; it had risen from 91 to 99 in a city of 7 million!  I pointed out that analysis of those 99 rapes showed that 70% were carried out by someone the victim actually knew - relative, boyfriend, co worker and even sex client etc, and the reasons ranged from actual forced rape to too drunk, changed their mind in the morning, or they weren't paid enough.  I calmly advised the senior officer that the most effective method to reduce rape would be to advise all women to go home with a stranger as that appeared to be the safer option!

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

A very misleading article and an even more misleading report that underpins it, what else could we possibly expect from The Sun! A few points:

The report and its data are for 2017.

Crime is grouped under safety and security which includes homicides per 100,000 of the NATIVE POPULATION, not tourists!

The same heading also includes terrorist incidents including those in the southern states which brings the rating way down.

Bizarrely the underlying report, http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2017/ranking/#, doesn't include road traffic accident risks! So the place is more dangerous because of places such as Patini but travelling by road on a motorcycle is OK!

Thailand is also down rated because of its lack of railways. railroad density scores 1.0 on a 7 point scale.

Basically, the report is nonsense from a tourism safety perspective, it's an assortment of loosely related facts that leaves out important factors, were it not for The Sun it might never see the light of day.

Why is it nonsense? The same criteria is applied to all countries so the result is valid. You can debate the validity of the measures but they certainly don't seem "loosely" related, I think looking at the likelihood of terrorism, crime and natural disasters are "directly" related to the safety of the country so they seem reasonable to me. 

I have been here working for some years now. I have seen the corruption from authorities, street violence, terrible driving, appalling health safety, lack of hygiene, lack of road safety (and enforced laws) and many other things. As one example, if you were in trouble from say a burglary and you called the police how confident are you that they will be there for you? I am not at all confident, so how many families do you think would come here if they knew this?

For me I have lived in a few countries in Europe, Hong Kong, China and now Thailand and Thailand, I think is by far the least safe place I have lived in.

If you turn a blind eye to the realities of living here then thats up to you but I would not recommend this country for families to go on holiday when there are so many other places to choose from, I mean why would you?

There are many people here who chose to defend this country simply because they don't want to face the realities of the decision they have made to come here (especially if they are not wealthy and cannot just go somewhere else). For me its about weather, if it was not a hot country and cheap to eat nobody would be here and now costs are rising (inflation and/or currency issues) people are beginning to question why they should be here and I believe expat numbers are falling pretty sharply.

I think Thailand will see a continue decline in expats and tourists from developed countries as other destinations offer more and do not have the increasing International reputation for lack of safety. Like it or not that seems to be happening now.

Predators are always attracted to where the prey are. Us Brits are as visible as a herd of Wildebeest lumbering across the plains, especially when we are spotted stripping off for a dip on some nice sandy beach.
It's no wonder the local Vultures are circling.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived