TOTAL DISASTER – The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed – and some are VERY popular with Brits

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The question must be asked...

Are the listed countries prone to all sorts of disasters and Brits simply visit them?

OR

Are the listed countries which Brits simply visit more prone to disasters?

Inquiring minds want to know...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Or rather: Is it a disaster that the Brits visit these countries?

1 hour ago, MekkOne said:

Italy, France and Greece are dangerous for Brits because they are getting there and they are going mad as nobody understand them even if they are yelling more and more.

BTW this is The Sun right? isn't a toilet paper brand?

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

I'd say that is probably the #1 reason !

Surprised Spain isn't on the list. Didn't that used to be the favourite destination of all the "hooligans" from the UK ? I guess Spain managed to convince them to go to Thailand instead.

37 minutes ago, Thian said:

If so than also Spain should be on the list...loads of boozer Brits go there for holiday to get totally of the path...

10 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

That's a bit unfair to call all Brits that? ????

:cheesy:

Yep, another Brit bashing thread on TV. Made me laugh recently when an American poster complained about all threads descending into American bashing threads.

The reason that so many Brits come to Thailand is because the booze is cheap and the women are cheaper. This obviously attracts a certain type of British tourist, don't tar us all with the same brush, the large majority of Brits aren't alcoholic, trouble making, whoremongers, only the ones that tend to vacate in Thailand. Same reasons for Brits to holiday in Spain.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

A very misleading article and an even more misleading report that underpins it, what else could we possibly expect from The Sun! A few points:

The report and its data are for 2017.

Crime is grouped under safety and security which includes homicides per 100,000 of the NATIVE POPULATION, not tourists!

The same heading also includes terrorist incidents including those in the southern states which brings the rating way down.

Bizarrely the underlying report, http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2017/ranking/#, doesn't include road traffic accident risks! So the place is more dangerous because of places such as Patini but travelling by road on a motorcycle is OK!

Thailand is also down rated because of its lack of railways. railroad density scores 1.0 on a 7 point scale.

Basically, the report is nonsense from a tourism safety perspective, it's an assortment of loosely related facts that leaves out important factors, were it not for The Sun it might never see the light of day.

Agree. How SA became first is unbelievable, I travel to Mali and neighboring countries frequently they are more dangerous than Jo'berg.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed

I think the key word here is HOLIDAY

4 hours ago, webfact said:

It was found some parts of the Middle East and North Africa such as Morocco and Jordan are actually safer than many parts of Europe and the US

I imagine not many people go to Middle East and North Africa such as Morocco and Jordan for their holidays, so it makes sense little or no crime is recorded.

This article is misleading.

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

Why is it nonsense? The same criteria is applied to all countries so the result is valid. You can debate the validity of the measures but they certainly don't seem "loosely" related, I think looking at the likelihood of terrorism, crime and natural disasters are "directly" related to the safety of the country so they seem reasonable to me. 

Have you read the report on which the article is based and where it draws its stats. from?

Homicides: homicides of and by locals in Thailand is very high, homicides involving tourists in very low, why rank a country as unsafe just because the locals are killing each other.

Pattini and Yala are high instances of terrorism, neither one is a tourist destination so why even consider it.

And so on.

If you want to put together a survey that ranks how dangerous a destination is, use factors that affect and concern tourists:

Historically:

how many tourists in country X have been the victim of crime;

how many tourists have been killed in country X;

rank instances of controllable events.....biggest single cause of death, drowning because there's no lifeguards;

second biggest cause...RTA's;  yet no mention is made of those things but terrorist related events are and as a result Thailand is unsafe...really!

Im pretty sure this survey is based on the top 10 countries VISITED for holidays so indeed Usa, Thailand, France, Italy are on the list, since they are the countries with the highest tourism. If 500 thousands tourists were to visit Brazil, Honduras or Somalia every year, they would most probably be at the top 5 of the list. The real answer comes only if this survey is based on a percentage of incidents per thousands of visitor and not based on the total of incidents, of course Thailand will have more incidents than Somalia since they have 40millions visitors and Somalia only a few.

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

if you subtract out any crime in Pattaya and Phuket involving alcohol and occurring between midnight and 6 am - I wonder where Thailand would rank?

There is much much more back alley crime in Pattaya than we hear about, the quick "hit the farang over the head and take his money" scenario.  Simple solution is to avoid the back alleys at night.  Think twice about taking a shortcut from Beach Road.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Basically, the report is nonsense from a tourism safety perspective, it's an assortment of loosely related facts that leaves out important factors, were it not for The Sun it might never see the light of day.

I've always thought Thailand was a dangerous place for tourists.

Lots of my pals have died or been severely damaged here.

Can't think of anyone I knew who was hurt in Spain or France.

No need for you to be drunk for a hit and run driver to get you.

1 minute ago, bendejo said:

There is much much more back alley crime in Pattaya than we hear about, the quick "hit the farang over the head and take his money" scenario.  Simple solution is to avoid the back alleys at night.  Think twice about taking a shortcut from Beach Road.

Much easier is to avoid Pattaya altogether... absolutely nothing there for me other than a rare visit to a couple of friends... 

Archived