TOTAL DISASTER – The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed – and some are VERY popular with Brits

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Oh, Thailand is not top of the class.

Dear oh Dear, must try harder.

Ps, Sorry its a Sun news paper thing. so Thailand could still be top of the class. :giggle:

According to MUCH more authoritative sources [ie: WEF} Thailand was named THE most dangerous holiday destination earlier this year. 

I see Vietnam is #9 on the list.  Below is a Security Alert regarding Vietnam due to high crime rate sent out by the US State Dept to US citizens on 7 Nov 18.    With Thailand being #3 on the list I would be afraid to read a Security Alert for Thailand....I'd probably immediately leave the country--or NOT!!

Security Alert-U.S. Embassy Hanoi

U.S. Consulate Ho Chi Minh City

Event:  The U.S. Mission to Vietnam advises U.S. citizens of the High Crime rating for Vietnam.  Recent reports of criminal activities include unwanted sexual advances, targeting children in public places for potential kidnapping, and reports of wrongdoing by taxis and ride-sharing services, including sexual harassment and theft of personal items. 

Actions to Take:

·        Maintain situational awareness and be aware of your surroundings.

·        Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches and keep the amount of valuables on your person to a minimum.

·        Do not physically resist if confronted by an armed or unarmed robber as robbers may resort to violence.

·        Use caution when walking or driving at night.

·        Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.

Assistance:

·        U.S. Embassy Hanoi - Consular Annex
     From outside Vietnam: +84-24-3850-5000
     From the U.S.: 011-84-24-3850-5000
     From landline within Hanoi: 3850-5000
     From mobile or landline within Vietnam: 024-3850-5000

[email protected]

·         U.S. Consulate Ho Chi Minh City

From outside Vietnam: +84-28-3520-4200
   From the U.S.: 011-84-28-3520-4200
   From landline within Ho Chi Minh City: 3520-4200
   From mobile or landline within Vietnam: 028-3520-4200
S

[email protected]   

·        State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

·        Vietnam Country Information

·        Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

·        Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.  

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed

Casting aside this garbage from the Sun which is a ranking on CRIME and it's implications a more respected ranking on country SAFETY should be looked at.

These same 10 countries listed by the Sun as DANGEROUS are listed as follows as the SAFEST countries to visit in a ranking by SafeAround.

Italy  37

Vietnam  45

Greece  46

USA  57 

France  64

South Africa  107

Thailand  108

India  112

Mexico  116

Turkey 120

So in South-East Asia it can be seen Vietnam is way in front of Thailand so far as tourist safety goes.

That will not go unnoticed around the international travel industry. 

https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It was found some parts of the Middle East and North Africa such as Morocco and Jordan are actually safer than many parts of Europe and the US.

Unlikely; more likely those countries can't report correctly. 

4 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Been to most of these countries definitely feel safer in most of them then in the UK. The US is the exception.

I think the safest place I regularly went to for holidays was France , I felt safer there than England but that was around 20 years ago. Maybe things are changing . What about Sweden these days ?

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Casting aside this garbage from the Sun which is a ranking on CRIME and it's implications a more respected ranking on country SAFETY should be looked at.

These same 10 countries listed by the Sun as DANGEROUS are listed as follows as the SAFEST countries to visit in a ranking by SafeAround.

Italy  37

Vietnam  45

Greece  46

USA  57 

France  64

South Africa  107

Thailand  108

India  112

Mexico  116

Turkey 120

So in South-East Asia it can be seen Vietnam is way in front of Thailand so far as tourist safety goes.

That will not go unnoticed around the international travel industry. 

https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

Oh come on.

Don't be a spoil sport !!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The question must be asked...

Are the listed countries prone to all sorts of disasters and Brits simply visit them?

OR

Are the listed countries which Brits simply visit more prone to disasters?

Inquiring minds want to know...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Or do the Brits make the countries look so dangerous ? ????

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I think the chances of getting into trouble, in any country, are increased by a multitude if you like to get drunk on a regular basis and party around the streets at 4.AM in the mornings.

Unless you're in Russia where that is the norm.

7 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Does this mean families should be dissuaded from coming here? 

It is no different here in Thailand than in the USA as long as you take precautions. You can easily collect information online as to how not to become a victim. Back in Hartford CT, a medium sized city between New York City and Boston, in my neighborhood where I owned a house for 30 years,  that looks "nice" at a glance, there are drugs, occasional shootings, and marauding thieves who take anything out of your yard that is not nailed down. 

Thailand is a wonderful place for families if you do your planning homework 

France!

Probably the food is what does it: all that cholesterol is tough on the arteries.

Same with the US, just try to get a quick nosh that doesn't involve something deep-fried, or red meat (probably both), or that great staple of American cuisine, bacon! 

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Hartford CT

Went out with a gal in Bridgeport some years back, used to tell me horror stories of visiting her friends up there.  Funny how some of these places can have such reputations among th people but you never hear about it in the media.  Used to hear the same thing about Albany NY back then and again, never heard it in the press.

I think DC's crime rep gets more mention.

4 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Agree. How SA became first is unbelievable, I travel to Mali and neighboring countries frequently they are more dangerous than Jo'berg.

The crime rate in South Africa is off the chart, but violence against tourists is almost non-existent.  That said, I would not recommend anyone to be out alone on the streets of Johannesburg at night, or in the suburbs either, for that matter.  One would be asking for trouble.

14 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Don't go to London, unless you want to stabbed, have acid throw in your face or mugged or be frowned upon for calling snowmen  'snowmen' instead of 'snowpersons'... OK ? Sun Newsrag and Which..... get a life.

Is it ok to call it a "snowman" if it has got snowballs?

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

It is no different here in Thailand than in the USA as long as you take precautions. You can easily collect information online as to how not to become a victim. Back in Hartford CT, a medium sized city between New York City and Boston, in my neighborhood where I owned a house for 30 years,  that looks "nice" at a glance, there are drugs, occasional shootings, and marauding thieves who take anything out of your yard that is not nailed down. 

Thailand is a wonderful place for families if you do your planning homework 

Thank you Jonathon. But I feel you need to catch up on current affairs in Thailand. Oh, and learn a sense of irony when you do.

2 hours ago, Humpy said:

Don't go to London, unless you want to stabbed, have acid throw in your face or mugged or be frowned upon for calling snowmen  'snowmen' instead of 'snowpersons'... OK ? Sun Newsrag and Which..... get a life.

Lived in London for the past two years, didn't have one problem.

Everyone was very helpful and polite to me.

Archived