BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

E-cigarettes set to be legal in Thailand

E-cigarettes set to be legal in Thailand

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Major changes are on the way regarding the use of electronic cigarettes in Thailand. 

The excise department will be taxing the devices and vaping liquid leading the way to their use being legal in Thailand. 

Many people have criticized the Thai authorities for being behind the times. 

E-cigarettes are legal and taxed around the world but in Thailand tourists wondered if they could face jail time for vaping. 

Chief of the excise department Pachorn Anantasin has announced that the different kinds of e-cigarettes would be subject to tax and thus legal.

The Food and Drug Administration will be involved in categorizing and assessing vaping liquid so that it can be taxed appropriately. 

Sanook reported that this development would be good news for local vapers and tourists visiting Thailand. 

Thaivisa notes that the legal hurdles presented by the lack of excise led to producers, importers and even users of e-cigarettes facing jail.

The country could see an explosion of vaping - like in the UK where shops selling the gear are on many street corners - once excise is paid on both the devices used for smoking and the liquids.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-09

That's ok, as long as they ban them from being used in the same places as the "real" cigarettes, e-smoke annoys, stinks and endangers in the same way as "real" smoke

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has finally got its vape products ready to go to market I guess. No one seems to be able to come up with any other reason why they have been illegal thus far.

2 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

-smoke annoys, stinks and endangers in the same way as "real" smoke

I thought the whole point of e smoke was that

it only contained 1  "dangerous" chemical  Nicotine ?

2 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

That's ok, as long as they ban them from being used in the same places as the "real" cigarettes, e-smoke annoys, stinks and endangers in the same way as "real" smoke

Does it really?

As a non-smoker I had no idea. I assumed (dangerous, I know) it didn't affect bystanders?

5 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

From a 100k fine to legal after taxes are assessed...……………...no greed here. Praise Buddha! 

18 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

endangers in the same way as "real" smoke

It's always better to say nothing when you don't know what you're talking about.

It's always better to say nothing when you don't know what you're talking about.
From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

8 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

Have you ever smelt ecig smoke? Not only it’s a sweet aroma like bakery it’s gone within minutes of not seconds.

i also wonder who paid for the study you quoting ? E-cigarettes does not turn your lungs into black tar mush. So how exactly is it 15 times worse than regular smoking

Will they also do a U-turn and allow them in prisons,

after the ban on Cigarettes comes into force.

regards worgeordie

All is not lost, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

well done for waking up Thailand.

Good job. Get it done :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, greg71 said:

From the ebove UK government website [PHE=Public Health England]

{quote} MYTH 4 - Exposure to e-cigarette vapour is harmful to bystanders

The evidence is clear that exposure to second hand smoke is harmful, which is why the UK has laws prohibiting smoking in enclosed public places and workplaces. These laws do not cover vaping and organisations are free to make their own policies on the use of e-cigarettes on their premises.

E-cigarette liquid is typically composed of nicotine, propylene glycol and/or glycerine, and flavourings. Unlike cigarettes, there is no side-stream vapour emitted by an e-cigarette into the atmosphere, just the exhaled aerosol.

PHE’s latest evidence review found that to date, there have been no identified health risks of passive vaping to bystanders. People with asthma and other respiratory conditions can be sensitive to a range of environmental irritants, which could include e-cigarette vapour, and PHE advises organisations to take this into account and to make adjustments where appropriate. {endquote}

I notice it says, "to date, there have been no identified health risks"

(As an aside - that's almost word-for-word to what is said about mobile phone signals)