E-cigarettes set to be legal in Thailand

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Major changes are on the way regarding the use of electronic cigarettes in Thailand. 

The excise department will be taxing the devices and vaping liquid leading the way to their use being legal in Thailand. 

Many people have criticized the Thai authorities for being behind the times. 

E-cigarettes are legal and taxed around the world but in Thailand tourists wondered if they could face jail time for vaping. 

Chief of the excise department Pachorn Anantasin has announced that the different kinds of e-cigarettes would be subject to tax and thus legal.

The Food and Drug Administration will be involved in categorizing and assessing vaping liquid so that it can be taxed appropriately. 

Sanook reported that this development would be good news for local vapers and tourists visiting Thailand. 

Thaivisa notes that the legal hurdles presented by the lack of excise led to producers, importers and even users of e-cigarettes facing jail.

The country could see an explosion of vaping - like in the UK where shops selling the gear are on many street corners - once excise is paid on both the devices used for smoking and the liquids.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-09

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

That's ok, as long as they ban them from being used in the same places as the "real" cigarettes, e-smoke annoys, stinks and endangers in the same way as "real" smoke

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Does it really?

As a non-smoker I had no idea. I assumed (dangerous, I know) it didn't affect bystanders?

5 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

That's ok, as long as they ban them from being used in the same places as the "real" cigarettes, e-smoke annoys, stinks and endangers in the same way as "real" smoke

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

It's always better to say nothing when you don't know what you're talking about.
From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

8 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

Have you ever smelt ecig smoke? Not only it’s a sweet aroma like bakery it’s gone within minutes of not seconds.

i also wonder who paid for the study you quoting ? E-cigarettes does not turn your lungs into black tar mush. So how exactly is it 15 times worse than regular smoking

42 minutes ago, greg71 said:

From the ebove UK government website [PHE=Public Health England]

{quote} MYTH 4 - Exposure to e-cigarette vapour is harmful to bystanders

The evidence is clear that exposure to second hand smoke is harmful, which is why the UK has laws prohibiting smoking in enclosed public places and workplaces. These laws do not cover vaping and organisations are free to make their own policies on the use of e-cigarettes on their premises.

E-cigarette liquid is typically composed of nicotine, propylene glycol and/or glycerine, and flavourings. Unlike cigarettes, there is no side-stream vapour emitted by an e-cigarette into the atmosphere, just the exhaled aerosol.

PHE’s latest evidence review found that to date, there have been no identified health risks of passive vaping to bystanders. People with asthma and other respiratory conditions can be sensitive to a range of environmental irritants, which could include e-cigarette vapour, and PHE advises organisations to take this into account and to make adjustments where appropriate. {endquote}

I notice it says, "to date, there have been no identified health risks"

(As an aside - that's almost word-for-word to what is said about mobile phone signals)

51 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Does it really?

As a non-smoker I had no idea. I assumed (dangerous, I know) it didn't affect bystanders?

Nicotine is one of the least dangerous chemicals in a cigarette. E cigs don't affect bystanders. Can't understand people who say they stink, they only give off water vapour. I can't smell anything even if someone is stood next to me vaping. As smoking was banned on beaches due to litter, I wonder if vaping will be allowed on beaches?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

What does it matter? Nowadays,the only place for smoking is in your own house/room, thanks to the 'anti smoking' mafia that are so concerned about their health.

The thing is, they're eating themselves to death with their english/american breakfasts.

27 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

From just one website:

The quoted article is 4-5 years old. There is no reason why the liquid should contain Formaldehyd, but it is true that Formaldehyd has been found in the liquids in the past.
Formaldehyd has also been found in Food and alcohol beverages. Contaminated production line but not the norm.

In Europe and USA the predominant opinion of scientists is, it is a lot better then smoking Tobacco but it is not healthy. So it is less harmful but not harmless.
For some people it is an easy way to stop smoking tobacco. I smoked tobacco for about 25 years and stopped 12 years ago.
For me it was not so difficult and now I smoke maybe 3-4 times a year a couple of cigarettes when having a booze up.
When I go home I leave the cigarettes on the table. Works for me.

I tried e-cigarettes before, and I liked it in general. The "smoke" is usually not stinking at all, all kinds of aroma are available and it is a pleasant smell.
But I don`t want to start to smoking again, so I just tried it from a friend.

I also think smoking of e-cigarettes should be banned from places like schools, restaurants, shopping malls etc.
For some people it is annoying, but lets not carried away. I have no problem with e-smoke in open public places.

And to state that the risk of developing cancer is 15 times higher with industrial produced e-liquid compared to tobacco is just unrealistic.

59 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

From just one website:

I guess you missed the websites where this myth was proven untrue.
Yes vape contains formaldehyde but its at the same level as the air you breathe.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Chief of the excise department Pachorn Anantasin has announced that the different kinds of e-cigarettes would be subject to tax and thus legal.

and here is your answer to every question you have ever had folks.  If we can tax it then it will be legal.  If not, then not.

:intheclub:

2 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

The sight may annoy some, however what you write is nonsense.

Surely, much, much better than smoking.

From just one website:

Well, clearly Health England don't agree or Cancer Research UK.

Bogus experiments don't count as real science.  You can heat most things up to unusable temperature and it will become carcinogenic.

Not quite right! Mine does not make a huge cloud and what you exhale has no smell at all.  https://miniciggy.com/

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Have you ever smelt ecig smoke? Not only it’s a sweet aroma like bakery it’s gone within minutes of not seconds.

i also wonder who paid for the study you quoting ? E-cigarettes does not turn your lungs into black tar mush. So how exactly is it 15 times worse than regular smoking

How about some common sense. What do you think is in the fluids that are vaporized? Do you even know? That's your starting point, since there is no regulation of what goes in or what comes out.  It's wonderful that you have so much faith in unregulated manufacturers using unknown chemicals. Do you understand what happens when you vaporize some of the organic substances used for flavouring and scenting? The fact is that the use of vaping has not been shown to be safer than regular tobacco use. Vaping hasn't been around long enough to allow for a long term study.

It's sort of odd, that I was expected to use a  fume hood when working with small amounts of aldehydes, and yet we have people ingesting far greater quantities of the volatile chemical through vaping  without much concern.

One is only fooling oneself if one believes that vaping is safe or less harmful.  Common sense tells us that the ingestion of non foreign substances into our lungs will damage them. People make a fuss over car exhaust or factory smokestacks, but will gladly inhale  contaminants from vaping and tobacco use.

Erm, not true fella. E cigarettes do not contain any smoke, it is vapour and it is not as harmful and cigarettes. So it does not endanger in the same way at all. However, I do agree that they should be restricted to use in certain places. The simple reason being is that they give off vapour that has a smell. 

People who are anti smoking often attack, quite harshly people who smoke. However, it is proven that over 6 feet away outside second hand smoke is not an issue for people, but still anti smoking people attack, Well for me they can sod off. If i chose to smoke and I am considerate of non smokers (which i am) they can all mind their own business.

So, in my view people should stop being so emotional about this and let people do what they want as long as they are considerate.

I think people drinking in excess, getting pissed up and causing problems in bars is a much more annoying and potentially dangerous problem, and there are a lot of those people around. So what should we do about that problem? Ban alcohol? How many stories do you read of a drunken fight ending in assault or even death?

And then there is the huge move towards legalising Cannabis, which people smoke of course (can be consumed in other ways I know). Isn't this smoking as well? Where are the anti smoking lobby on this one? 

So, live and let live. if someone is smoking near you and blowing cigarette smoke across your face politely tell them to stop doing it, simple. If they are considerate and dont do this kind of thing its not anyone else business.

9 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Not quite right! Mine does not make a huge cloud and what you exhale has no smell at all.  https://miniciggy.com/

A toxic substance need not have an odor to be dangerous. Remember that carbon monoxide is odorless as is natural gas. We must add an adulterant to natural gas for people to realize it is present.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Many people have criticized the Thai authorities for being behind the times.

Nonsense,  the hub of hubs, groovy 4.0 not up to par with China or Malaysia ?  Can hardly believe my eyes.  Fake news I say or just a terrible misunderstanding !  Thai leadership was just focusing on things like not campaigning, not needing international election observers and the legalization of Thai Stick.  Given China has HUGE investments in VAPE, has nothing to do with it. 

The country is in laughable hands. 

I was a full on smoker for close to fifty years. In Sept this year, an additional 12% tax on ciggies took them up to $300 a carton. The bulk of that goes in taxes/excise to fund lefty government spending. I thought screw that.

Spoke to a vaper I know, got the lowdown on what to buy. Ordered all the gear (including nicotine salts liquid from New Zealand cause you can't buy it here). Total cost less than $300.

Studied some forums, mixed my juice and started vaping.

Have not had or felt like a cigarette now for two months. I was smoking a pack a day so annual cost was $13650.00.

I estimate vaping cost for juice, coils etc will be less than $400 per year.

So.....my $300 investment in vape gear was a return of........a lot.

Archived