E-cigarettes set to be legal in Thailand

webfact

Oh, and my wife loves the smell. I can vape inside the house, car etc. No problem.

Current flavours:

Started with Caramelized tobacco and

Heisenberg

Went on to

Espresso and Cloud Stout

Currently on Killer Custard Strawberry.

Beauty about vaping is (apart from quitting the fags) is you get some flavour with your durry.

I add the equivalent of 10mg nicotine and will gradually reduce to zero.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

A toxic substance need not have an odor to be dangerous. Remember that carbon monoxide is odorless as is natural gas. We must add an adulterant to natural gas for people to realize it is present.

Sorry to spoil a good rant...but there is no toxic substance in vape liquid

What exactly is e-liquid? E-Liquid is made up of four basic ingredients; water, nicotine, flavorings, and a propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin base (or sometimes a mixture of PG and VG).

The two you will be unfamiliar with are...

Propylene Glycol (PG) – This is a lab-made liquid that the FDA generally views as safe in food, drugs and cosmetics. It’s also used to make artificial smoke or fog for performances. It can irritate the lungs and eyes and may be more harmful for people with chronic lung diseases like asthma and emphysema.

Glycerin – Odorless and colorless, liquid glycerin has a slightly sweet taste. Like PG, the FDA generally views it as safe. It’s found in many products, including food and drugs, both prescription and over the counter medications.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Nicotine is one of the least dangerous chemicals in a cigarette. E cigs don't affect bystanders. Can't understand people who say they stink, they only give off water vapour. I can't smell anything even if someone is stood next to me vaping. As smoking was banned on beaches due to litter, I wonder if vaping will be allowed on beaches?

Really? And there was me thinking it was the hazardous element.

3 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

That's ok, as long as they ban them from being used in the same places as the "real" cigarettes, e-smoke annoys, stinks and endangers in the same way as "real" smoke

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Another ill-informed and frankly absurd statement.

E-cigarettes emit a vapor (which is why it's called 'vaping') that is completely harmless to the smoker and anyone in the vicinity. It's not smoke; it's more akin to steam or water vapor.

The only 'stink' you get is from the scent of the liquid you are vaping but since the vapor completely disappears within seconds (much like steam from a kettle), it doesn't linger.

There is no 'endanger' either as it doesn't (or shouldn't) contain any carcinogenics and only has nicotine which doesn't cause cancer. Obviously you need to stick to reputable manufacturers of vape liquid to ensure you get a reliable vape liquid, but with many endorsed companies around, that shouldn't be hard to do.

All in all, 50 times better than cigarettes.

6 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Make this happen ASAP please, the inconvenience of buying e-liquids in Thailand keeps pushing me back to real cigarettes. A vape shop near me would be a dream, would be even better to sell the juice at 7-11. 

Finally a vaper telling the real truth. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

What does it matter? Nowadays,the only place for smoking is in your own house/room, thanks to the 'anti smoking' mafia that are so concerned about their health.

The thing is, they're eating themselves to death with their english/american breakfasts.

I smoke in most places in Thailand. Nearly all bars, many restaurants, in my car, pretty much anywhere.

2 new bars opened recently on the Darkside. Both have a no smoking inside policy and no customers.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

How about some common sense. What do you think is in the fluids that are vaporized? Do you even know? That's your starting point, since there is no regulation of what goes in or what comes out.  It's wonderful that you have so much faith in unregulated manufacturers using unknown chemicals. Do you understand what happens when you vaporize some of the organic substances used for flavouring and scenting? The fact is that the use of vaping has not been shown to be safer than regular tobacco use. Vaping hasn't been around long enough to allow for a long term study.

It's sort of odd, that I was expected to use a  fume hood when working with small amounts of aldehydes, and yet we have people ingesting far greater quantities of the volatile chemical through vaping  without much concern.

One is only fooling oneself if one believes that vaping is safe or less harmful.  Common sense tells us that the ingestion of non foreign substances into our lungs will damage them. People make a fuss over car exhaust or factory smokestacks, but will gladly inhale  contaminants from vaping and tobacco use.

At this stage I do not need to know. What I do know is that numerous tests showed 2 packs of cigs turn cotton wool black , vaping 60 ml bottle kept cotton wool dry and clean

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has finally got its vape products ready to go to market I guess. No one seems to be able to come up with any other reason why they have been illegal thus far.

They've been threatening, and perhaps giving, 10-year prison sentences for using this stuff.

And now suddenly, they've set up a system to tax the products, so suddenly it's OK to be legal.

CRAZY!

E-cigarettes contain fewer chemicals and so the industry has presented them as a healthier alternative to regular cigarettes. But vape liquids can still contain nicotine, a highly addictive drug.

And on one point, Yale health researchers who study the health effects of vaping and e-cigs agree: Vape devices have not been proven to help adult smokers quit smoking. Moreover, vaping increases the risk a teen will smoke regular cigarettes later.

“The addiction to nicotine and later conversion to (or dual use with) regular cigarettes are the greatest concerns,” says Roy S. Herbst, MD, Yale Medicine’s chief of medical oncology at Yale Cancer Center. He points to two heavyweight organizations, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), that have issued statements that vaping could be harmful to youth. (Dr. Herbst chairs the AACR Tobacco & Cancer Subcommittee that led the development of the statement.)

https://www.yalemedicine.org/stories/teen-vaping/

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

A toxic substance need not have an odor to be dangerous. Remember that carbon monoxide is odorless as is natural gas. We must add an adulterant to natural gas for people to realize it is present.

Well we all know inhaling any other than clean air is unhealthy. My post was in answer to this: e-smoke annoys, and stinks.  

Swiss1960 said

From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

As has already been suggested to you when you know nothing better to be quiet.

You are obviously bias and have no clue what you are saying or quoting.

Yes its annoying no doubt but as for the rest when you have read the correct studies not just those by idiots with agendas then come back and start qouting.

Its people as you with limited knowledge that cause confusion and don't help any one.

Read your studies and go to sleep.

8 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

Great news but I predict that there will be a government monopoly on vaping juice and the selection may not be what we are hoping.

I hope they do a somtam   and  pla-ra   smelling juice  to really upset the "non smokers" ????

Nicotine is only really dangerous in larger doses, it's actually a very potent poison but in tiny doses like those in cigarettes and these liquids it's not going to do much.

Unlike cigarettes you can taper the nicotine strength in the liquids over months or even years with tiny decreases over extended periods of time.

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Very misleading article and non factual as the amount of formaldehyde and heavy metals found in Vapor is exactly the same as air.
The part about Flavors is maybe true some flavors can cause irritation to the lungs but there's no evidence linking Vaping to Popcorn Lung.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has finally got its vape products ready to go to market I guess. No one seems to be able to come up with any other reason why they have been illegal thus far.

cops were making a killing off catching people with them. especially foreigners who had no idea they were illegal, because why would they be? fines were running around 5 to 10 000thb.

22 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Very misleading article and non factual as the amount of formaldehyde and heavy metals found in Vapor is exactly the same as air.
The part about Flavors is maybe true some flavors can cause irritation to the lungs but there's no evidence linking Vaping to Popcorn Lung.

only the liquids containing diketone are harmful to some degree.

28 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Between your medical opinion and that of the medically peer reviewed WebMD, I think I'll rely on WebMD.

Great decision by the Thai government,i used to smoke normal cigs and the gf hated it. The smell on the clothes and breath annoyed her a lot. Even when we went out to have lunch or coffee,if someone was smoking it was terrible. I have been chuffing on my e cig now for 2yrs,no complaints from her whatsoever,some of the flavours she doesn’t mind the smell of at all. Mind you i still sneak in a real cig every now and then,but away from her and other people,but she knows when I have had one.LOL.

It will be nice to be able to finally go to a shop and purchase some juice and a new device without feeling like a harden criminal.

35 minutes ago, monkfish said:

The formaldehyde thing came about after flawed tests years ago which heated the liquids to very hot temperatures for extended and continuous periods of time which is very unlike vaping.

In other words they did their very best to make it look bad and finally succeeded but the method used is nothing like vaping.

For anyone interested there is some information here : https://vaperanks.com/doctor-debunks-formaldehyde-in-e-cigarette-vapor-theory-with-simple-experiment-that-anyone-can-do/

The actual study whic produced the initial 'formaldehyde panic' was done years ago and has been debunked by various other studies. Google is four friend here.

Any potential danger with vaping comes from the flavours.

5 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The only annoying and stinking thing I see is your attitude 

Archived