E-cigarettes set to be legal in Thailand

webfact

This is the latest scare story and to be fair it may carry more weight than some of the more outrageous studies that have appeared over the years.  

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/study-finds-e-cigarettes-may-make-lungs-vulnerable-infection/

Whether it means much I don't know, because the damaging element appears to be nicotine which as we know is of course present in cigarettes anyway, and is not regarded as that damaging.

Also the newspaper headlines in no way reflected the findings, which merely concluded that more research was needed.

This was an in vitro study too.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

This is the latest scare story and to be fair it may carry more weight than some of the more outrageous studies that have appeared over the years.  

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/study-finds-e-cigarettes-may-make-lungs-vulnerable-infection/

Whether it means much I don't know, because the damaging element appears to be nicotine which as we know is of course present in cigarettes anyway, and is not regarded as that damaging.

Also the newspaper headlines in no way reflected the findings, which merely concluded that more research was needed.

This was an in vitro study too.

It is indeed interesting that nicotine is the factor , which may lead to another conclusion which is nicotine free ejuice is even less harmful than originally thought .

now I am not advocating vaping is healthy or good for you but sure as hell its a million times better than smoking and even if youth picked up vaping ,instead of smoking , it’s a win situation 

24 minutes ago, BestB said:

It is indeed interesting that nicotine is the factor , which may lead to another conclusion which is nicotine free ejuice is even less harmful than originally thought .

now I am not advocating vaping is healthy or good for you but sure as hell its a million times better than smoking and even if youth picked up vaping ,instead of smoking , it’s a win situation 

Yes, my thoughts exactly and those of most sane people I reckon. Certainly, the quicker one can get low or no nicotine the better.

(But I would say what happens in a petri dish is very often not what happens inside the body, And to be fair the researchers used the verb could, not can, not does.)

Anecdotally, vapers report much better lung function when switching to e-cigs, and it has been going for 10 years plus now.  That's something I can faithfully say too.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:24 AM, Pilotman said:

Vaping is as irritating to me as smoking.  

I have smoked on & off for 30 years & last year I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Thankfully the tumour was removed & I am well but my surgeon was adamant that nicotine accumulates in the bladder & it is the nicotine that causes this kind of cancer whether it from cigarettes or from vamping it is no different.

4 hours ago, Jfj1979 said:

When does everyone think they will be made legal? I’m travelling to Bangkok in january

According to a post it says that to make it legal is fake news . best you google to find out near the time . saying that i had no problem taking mine back to the UK and back again to thailand they knew at the customs and said no problem as long as you carry the batteries ans ecigs in your carry on bag. the juice in the hold luggage . hope it helps  

2 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

According to a post it says that to make it legal is fake news . best you google to find out near the time . saying that i had no problem taking mine back to the UK and back again to thailand they knew at the customs and said no problem as long as you carry the batteries ans ecigs in your carry on bag. the juice in the hold luggage . hope it helps  

Recently? Or was this a few years ago?

Bad

7 hours ago, AD3Andy said:

I have smoked on & off for 30 years & last year I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Thankfully the tumour was removed & I am well but my surgeon was adamant that nicotine accumulates in the bladder & it is the nicotine that causes this kind of cancer whether it from cigarettes or from vamping it is no different.

Well, I guess it's unwise to contradict experts in their field, but are you sure that's exactly what he said? 

Smoking is definitely a big risk factor, but I thought it was the other toxins that mainly did the damage.

There has been some research on nicotine which suggested nicotine may proliferate cell growth in cancers already initiated, and that it inhibits the efficacy of treatment, but that is still at the research stage.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, Swiss1960 said:

From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wanna live forever. ????????:shock1:

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Well, I guess it's unwise to contradict experts in their field, but are you sure that's exactly what he said? 

Smoking is definitely a big risk factor, but I thought it was the other toxins that mainly did the damage.

There has been some research on nicotine which suggested nicotine may proliferate cell growth in cancers already initiated, and that it inhibits the efficacy of treatment, but that is still at the research stage.

I guess they call it 'nicotine induced bladder cancer' for a reason.

46 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I guess they call it 'nicotine induced bladder cancer' for a reason.

New term on me. Whose they?  

Nicotine-induced cell proliferation in bladder cancer cells. Epidemiological studies have reported that tobacco smoking is a major risk factor for bladder cancer, but little is known about the effects of nicotine or its metabolite on bladder cells.

So basically someone has just highlighted the words they want.

Note though: Smokers are reportedly 6 or 7 times more likely to get bladder cancer.  The role of nicotine in this is little known.

This is the expert reaction to a study on DNA damage:

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-e-cigarettes-and-dna-damage/

“Unfortunately, no direct comparisons were made with tobacco smoke; instead the authors cite another study1 that found a key biomarker related to such genetic damage to be present in very much smaller quantities (97% less) in the urine of vapers compared with smokers."

And then:

“Human cells were submerged in nicotine and in off-the-shelf bought carcinogenic nitrosamines. It is not surprising of course that this damaged the cells, but this has no relationship to any effects of e-cigarettes on people who use them.

“In the other part of this study, animals were exposed to what for them are extremely large doses of nicotine and this also generated some damage, but this too has unclear relevance for effects of vaping."

It's all too depressingly familiar to anyone who looks at new studies.

Let's look at what is really happening: here is but one of a number of similar testimonies on the Health England website:

I smoked 40-60 smokes a day for over 30 years and had tried everything to quit but always failed and went back to smoking. Just over 5 years ago I discovered vaping and since then I have bot smoked since, for the last 18 months I now do not even use nicotine. My health has improved I have lost weight as I know walk a lot without being out of breath, vaping has saved my life.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:06 PM, Swiss1960 said:

From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/11/2018 at 5:53 AM, AD3Andy said:

well done on beating it.  Long and happy life mate. 

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Let's look at what is really happening: here is but one of a number of similar testimonies on the Health England website:

I smoked 40-60 smokes a day for over 30 years and had tried everything to quit but always failed and went back to smoking. Just over 5 years ago I discovered vaping and since then I have bot smoked since, for the last 18 months I now do not even use nicotine. My health has improved I have lost weight as I know walk a lot without being out of breath, vaping has saved my life.

I absolutely agree  that vaping much surely be much better for people than smoking, I just don't like to be around either. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I absolutely agree  that vaping much surely be much better for people than smoking, I just don't like to be around either. Sorry. 

That's fair enough. Vaping should be treated much the same as smoking in public imo.  I must admit back in Blighty I saw a bloke walking down the road with what looked like a hand grenade, but was reassured when he emitted a huge plume of vapour- it was a bit anti-social imo. 

The only thing I would say here is that banning smoking is acceptable because it's unpleasant to some and causes health issues, whereas vaping is just unpleasant to some; there a lot of things that are annoying to someone yet we don't ban them.  

2 hours ago, tallfarang said:

I don't want to go through 11 pages of replies so if this has been answered already, apologies. Does anyone know if this is a change in law that is coming, or can we vape now in areas that we would be allowed to smoke cigarettes?

No, definitely not. There is no legalisation.  In fact penalties have increased.

Archived