Chinese tourists report littering scam to Pattaya police

webfact

Chinese tourists report littering scam to Pattaya police

45730403_2138066996214223_5624323540275691520_n.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

A group of Chinese tourists claimed they were scammed out of 2,000 baht after being fined for littering in Pattaya by a man who claimed he was a police officer.

The tourists reported the matter to police at around 2am on Friday morning.

They said that a man who approached them after the he had seen them littering at Bali Hai Pier.

The ‘officer’ told them that the fine for littering was 4,000 baht and demanded payment on the spot.

The group admitted to littering and paid the man who left with the cash.

However, as they were leaving the area they noticed a sign which stated the fine for littering is 2,000 baht, payment for which must be made at a police station.

Suspecting that they may have been scammed, the Chinese tourists reported the matter officers at Soi 9.

They said the man who approached them was not wearing police uniform but did flash what appeared to be a police ID.

Police are continuing to investigate but told the group that the man who they gave 4,000 baht to was unlikely to be a policeman.

This is the latest in a number of incidents where foreigners have been ordered to pay fines for littering from people claiming to be police of district officials.

In August, an Iranian tourist made a complaint at Pattaya Police Station regarding a similar incident.

Source: Sophon Cable

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-09

The fake cops seem to be doing a better job than the real ones!  And the Chinese went to the police station to report they'd committed a crime, I think the BIB should have got another 2k out of them and sent them on their filthy way back home.

Only the Chinese, who by now must know they have a leg up on Thailand, would break the law and then go complain to the police about someone scamming them as a result of breaking the law in the first place. 

Often when I see people getting scammed I try in some way to warn them. It's happened to me enough, that I want to help others out of the same hole, but for something like this, I'm all for the scammer.

Just because a "Fake cop" fined you for breaking the law, does not give you the right the get away with breaking the law. I have no pity here. In fact, I think it's pretty funny

11 hours ago, action said:

The fake cops seem to be doing a better job than the real ones!  And the Chinese went to the police station to report they'd committed a crime, I think the BIB should have got another 2k out of them and sent them on their filthy way back home.

Yes with a free wash 

What is with all the grovelling to chinese tourists about? Here is the disturbing trend I am seeing:

1. Chinese tourist is just a law violator and is getting special treatment. They even admitted to a crime at the police station.

2. Foreigners who are not Chinese are being paraded around like they are scum (especially Africans) for simply not possesing their passport on their person, a law which is very selectively enforced.

3. Halloween, the falang holiday, is seen as bad. Police are needlessly dispatched to Khah San Road on a PR mission to warn of the dangers of falang culture.

4. Chinese New Year rolls around and it's a big and well tolerated celebration.

If you look at China's insane growth, it's pretty obvious that they are the number 1 influencer in this region: 

Archived