Show some imagination in your choice of passwords, warn Chiang Mai cops after ATM theft

webfact

Show some imagination in your choice of passwords, warn Chiang Mai cops after ATM theft

9pm.jpg

Pocture: Thai Rath

Police in Chiang Mai have warned the public to choose better passwords and PIN numbers after a case in which a thief got lucky after stealing an ATM card along with a Thai ID.

The thief - Prawee Supharp, 25 - stole a bag from Chiang Mai university student Patcharee Charoensingthong who had left it in the front basket of her Scoopy i motorcycle.

Inside was her ATM and Thai ID. 

Prawee figured out her ATM PIN number from her date of birth on the ID card. 

He pressed the ATM at a convenience store near the university getting 33,500 that he used for a shopping spree.

Pol Lt Col Anon Chertchutrakoonthong warned the public not to link their important passwords and PIN numbers to such obvious things as their date of birth to guard against such opportunistic crime. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-09

A work colleague a few years ago told me his passwords were easy to remember and he never used any date of birth, or names etc. He also used the same password for everything.....................His password was....................PASSWORD................:biggrin:

3 minutes ago, changmaichillin said:

First time using a ATM in Thailand yesterday took 20,000b out, charged 220b for the privilege. Feel robbed, especially when i saw what my UK bank had charged £14 as well.

Get money over the counter , dont use ATM's and avoid the ATM fee

On 11/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, AhFarangJa said:

A work colleague a few years ago told me his passwords were easy to remember and he never used any date of birth, or names etc. He also used the same password for everything.....................His password was....................PASSWORD................:biggrin:

He is a drowssap! ????

On 11/9/2018 at 11:51 PM, changmaichillin said:

First time using a ATM in Thailand yesterday took 20,000b out, charged 220b for the privilege. Feel robbed, especially when i saw what my UK bank had charged £14 as well.

Get an ATM card from a bank which refunds the cost of foreign ATM fees.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:18 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Hopefully you are laughing at his foolishness, rather than thinking that was clever.

That's the 3rd most commonly used password, per this 2016 study of hacked account passwords:

http://fortune.com/2016/05/18/linkedin-breach-passwords-most-common/

Another study from 2017 making it the 2nd most common:  https://tech.thaivisa.com/use-passwords-shouldnt-allowed-near-computer/26433/

Get a password minder.

I don't know what any of my passwords are, because I don't have to.

I go to the page I want to login to, a link appears at the bottom of my screen, I click it and it logs me in with my username and password.

Very long different passwords for every site, each one too difficult too memorize.

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

Hopefully you are laughing at his foolishness, rather than thinking that was clever.

That's the 3rd most commonly used password, per this 2016 study of hacked account passwords:

http://fortune.com/2016/05/18/linkedin-breach-passwords-most-common/

Another study from 2017 making it the 2nd most common:  https://tech.thaivisa.com/use-passwords-shouldnt-allowed-near-computer/26433/

Get a password minder.

I don't know what any of my passwords are, because I don't have to.

I go to the page I want to login to, a link appears at the bottom of my screen, I click it and it logs me in with my username and password.

Very long different passwords for every site, each one too difficult too memorize.

Correct Jimmy, I was laughing at his stupidity.

Thanks for the info on password minders, will look it up....:thumbsup:

There was a great study of hacked passwords which went way beyond the short lists in the 2 articles I linked.

I can't find it at the minute, but here's one that's very interesting - It gives the most commonly used in passwords - Fruits/I Love .../Animals/Names/Keyboard patterns/Days of the week, etc.

Will give you a lot of things to avoid if you are someone who makes up your own passwords:

https://wpengine.com/unmasked/

40 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

This excellent site has a few suggestions under

"Password Manager Software"

https://privacytools.io

Wow, that is some serious eye opening reading Jimmy, going to need a few weeks to get my head round the details, but looks like I will be changing my browser at the very least.....Many Thanks again...

On 11/8/2018 at 11:41 PM, melovethai said:

i know many thais using DOB or even 1234, 123456 etc etc. Not so smart but they say easy to remember:-)

There's a funny incident in the non-fiction book "The Disaster Artist" that relates to this thread.

I couldn't believe they left it out of the film.

Tommy Wiseau arrives at the door of his LA apartment.

There's a pincode device on the door and he says to Greg Sestero "Just a minute, I need to look up my password".

Then he fumbles around with a notebook for a few minutes, says "Here it is", then punches in 1/2/3/4.

il_340x270.1395369474_4dkm.jpg

Archived