Are agents still operating or has Big Joke wiped them out

1 hour ago, gaviny said:

Well if they are allowed to continue it will make a mockery of the crackdown and in actual fact their business will boom from retirees milking the embassy letter previously.

... Which was likely the point of the entire exercise - just like the so-called "crackdown" on EDU Visas/extensions - to increase under-the-table revenue.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

part of the reason I was asking, it was suggested that all this income letter/affidavit debacle could actually be an attempt by immigration to extract money from those that cannot meet the requirements easily or are just unwilling to do so

Exactly.

21 minutes ago, smedly said:

Are you willing to pay 50k baht for the service instead of the current 12-25k

Folks in Pattaya told me there was a price-hike to cover additional payouts to the army, after the last change in govt - but more recently the price has gone back down to previous levels.  The cost seems to be set to maximize revenue per market supply/demand rules.  If they hike it too much, they have less total under-the-table money to pad their "beyond salary" lifestyles.

The letter-change will increase sales-volume, so would not require a fee-hike to increase revenue.  Of course, anything could happen - just have to wait and see - the fee could bounce-around until it finds a new max-revenue point.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Folks in Pattaya told me there was a price-hike to cover additional payouts to the army, after the last change in govt - but more recently the price has gone back down to previous levels.  The cost seems to be set to maximize revenue per market supply/demand rules.  If they hike it too much, they have less total under-the-table money to pad their "beyond salary" lifestyles.

Right ... and the lowest cost agents can shop around different immigration offices to find the one with the lowest under-the-table fees. There might be a small increase for those agents who take care that everything is 100% according to the letter of the regulations (protecting their clients) though this does not, of course, mean according to the spirit of those regulations.

i will repeat a post i made on this matter went to Immigration last week to do my 90 days, Officer noticed my yearly retirement permit runs out this month, he said * I CAN DO FOR YOU 16,000 baht, (not needed) but handy to know for next year  ha ha, nothing has changed

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Thanks for this agent update. An O-A visa from Ministry of Foreign Affairs and never having to deal with Immigration again (except for 90 day reports) is looking better all the time.

O-A visa if you don't mind going home and jumping through hoops to get it

also someone recently reported being refused an O-A in the UK because they were under 65yo

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

O-A visa if you don't mind going home and jumping through hoops to get it

also someone recently reported being refused an O-A in the UK because they were under 65yo

I would disregard that report. he is probably confusing O-A with non-imm O.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smedly said:

That gent corrected himself and that he was applying for an O not OA.

I go back (no home) at least every 2 years anyway and the hoops, with a little computer leg-work, have proven to be readily available in a short time frame during the visit.

Edited by JLCrab

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

People paying more than the 1900 required are mugs, they will pay more in the long run than having the funds in the bank here. People who say they are worried about depositing money in a Thai bank probably just cannot. When I deposited my 800k it cost 12k UK pounds, it's now worth about 50% more!

Let's assume that you have the money and don't want to put it in a Thai bank. You pay 25K/year to agent. You just sit and relax. It will take 32 years for me to start receiving my return on Investment if I would have put 800K in the bank. During the same time period, I am also earning at least 6% invested on my 775K (25K for the agent) in the US market (historical returns of S&P 500 in the US is 9.8%). So I am conservative here. In 32 years, my 775K will be close to 5 million. That's the reason I never like buying a condo in Thailand and always preferred renting. A house is a different story (especially if it is available on Mortgage). I understand People buy house for their kids to grow. Besides money, the added bonus of my scheme is not to deal with immigration, wait in immigration queue, and spend a day in CW, etc. etc. And once you have the liquid money, it is exhilarating, believe me.

• Like 1

Just now, JLCrab said:

That gent corrected himself and that he was applying for an O not OA.

I go home at least every 2 years anyway and the hoops, with a little computer leg-work, have proven to be readily available in a short time frame during the visit.

Sure, but there are plenty of guys who have burned their boats and for whom going home to process a visa is not appropriate in the short term.

Just now, JLCrab said:

Mug or not, I consider the agent route a back-handed illegal bribe. If some others choose to go that route, up-to-them. 

Guys can be uncomfortable with using agency route OR lump sum route OR going home for visa route, but not all three unless pressing the Leave button. Pick your poison!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Guys can be uncomfortable with using agency route OR lump sum route OR going home for visa route,

Right now the O-A looks to be by far he least objectionable of the 3 but thanks for your concern.

• Like 1