"FREE" VPN for Android

paulabo

https://protonvpn.com/pricing

It says the free service speed is slow. I used it briefly in the US when my usual VPN ran out and I hadn't renewed. I don't remember thinking it was unusable speedwise.

Get their free email while you're at it: protonmail.com

Both services are secure/encrypted/highly regarded privacy protection company.

I'm surprised that you say most VPN's don't work in Asia.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

https://protonvpn.com/pricing

Although the speed and ping may not be what you're looking for - I forget what the 3 countries are that they use for the free service.

Get their free email while you're at it: protonmail.com

Both services are secure/encrypted/highly regarded privacy protection company.

I'm surprised that you say most VPN's don't work in Asia.

I read about this one. It stated only 3 countries covered but no information about which ones.

1 minute ago, paulabo said:

I read about this one. It stated only 3 countries covered but no information about which ones.

Im obviously chasing a free VPN that works in Thailand (and the Philippines). All the free ones do mostly Europe but not Asia.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Is it essential that your VPN show a Thailand address? Or a specific region?

If not, it shouldn't matter. You'll be somewhat slower, depending on where and other factors.

Ive searched all the best free ones. But none work in Thailand. What free ones are people using in Thailand

Just now, paulabo said:

Ive searched all the best free ones. But none work in Thailand. What free ones are people using in Thailand

Every VPN free or paid works in Thailand.

The countries supported are obviously the vpn servers you can connect to, not the countries where it will work

I used my pay VPN in Thailand. They had no server in Thailand.

Email Proton and ask. I'd be very surprised if they don't say it will work everywhere (or should).

The free offers IP addresses from only 3 countries, not that it only works in 3 countries.

Have you tried all of these free ones you say don't work in Thailand?

If so, they are either garbage products or you are doing something wrong.

Proton is the only trustworthy one I know of.

Just now, JimmyJ said:

Read about a VPN and what it is.

You are not understanding the basics.

Janclaes47 and I have explained, but you are not paying attention.

I'm giving up.

Im trying to understand. I just assumed if a VPN lists 30 countries but excluded most of Asia that it must mean something. Otherwise why list so many countries. You say server location is irrelevant. Okay then I can use anyone.

12 minutes ago, paulabo said:

Im trying to understand. I just assumed if a VPN lists 30 countries but excluded most of Asia that it must mean something. Otherwise why list so many countries. You say server location is irrelevant. Okay then I can use anyone.

VPN's are often used to get around blocks that occur when you are in country A but want to use services (often streaming TV) in country B. So you use a VPN that makes it appear your in country B.

So country B (the country what service you want to use) should be in the VPN list.

Why do you want a VPN ?

You can also use a vpn to hide identity.

19 minutes ago, paulabo said:

The countries listed are the ones you can 'fool' your Thai internet connection into thinking where you are. However, you do not need loads of servers all over the world if you only need to connect say, to UK, or USA. There is a free VPN included in Opera browser, but it does not include UK, so no BBC or ITV with that. Another example is BeIN Sports here in Thai. If you have your VPN turned ON, it will not work as that program is only for Thailand. As for FREE, you get what you pay for! ZEN Mate seems very good value for money.

HOLA works on Android, but recently if you require bandwidth for the likes of BBC iPlayer, it says you need the paid version.

A lot of UK companies are now recognising and blocking VPN connections, the SKY app for instance is always blocked on both Android and Windows 10.

I now use the Mobdro app and also have a paid subscription to TvMucho for the basic UK channels, this company has been very reliable and also offers a 7 day catch up service.

Even if you subscribe to a "one device" package, you can swop between a mobile and laptop as long as you log off on the one you are not using.

The free ones are well known and many are blacklisted by the isps so you may not be able to use them for whatever you want to do without being throttled down to useless speeds..... 

The isps are getting smarter at restricting your usage to whatever they deem appropriate.... 

Ais super WiFi will not download torrents at the mall but truemove h wifi still can but the speeds are throttled very low 

Seedbox + less popular paid vpns usually still work but the free/ad supported vpns on the playstore are mostly useless thesedays

On 11/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, Swiss1960 said:

I am using TouchVPN for my connections to Switzerland

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You may want to have a look at the comments in this report specifically for Touch - depending on your level of paranoia.......:smile:

https://www.top10vpn.com/free-vpn-app-investigation/

On 11/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, luckyluke said:

Hola

Have a look at the link above re Hola. 

You may want to have a look at the comments in this report specifically for Touch - depending on your level of paranoia.......[emoji2]
https://www.top10vpn.com/free-vpn-app-investigation/

Definitely not to nice a privacy policy for a VPN... but since I use it only for accessing news sites with (mostly video-) info that is only accessible from within Switzerland, it is a non-issue for me.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived