Boca vs. River!

Jingthing

OK. there are these huge final tournament games in Buenos Aires, apparently the most sensational Super Classico in history. 

It's two "final" games.

The first at Boca and the second at River.

A very intense historic rivalry. 

If you don't know Boca (Juniors) represents the working class and River the posh types (nicknamed the Millionaires). Different sides of town. 

I got into this a bit when I spent some time in B.A. and of course visited the Boca stadium as many tourists do.

The first game was suspended for rain and will happen Sunday if I've got this right.

But I don't understand the two games thing.

A final that is two games?

How does that work?

Obviously winning both games would be clear but what if it's split differently?

Its great that they have this final at both home teams grounds....less good is that the away fans don't get to attend.

Away goals rule in place I presume and a thunderous atmosphere for the away team.

Usually slight advantage to be home in the second leg but don't mention that to Man City. :biggrin:

26 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Its great that they have this final at both home teams grounds....less good is that the away fans don't get to attend.

Away goals rule in place I presume and a thunderous atmosphere for the away team.

Usually slight advantage to be home in the second leg but don't mention that to Man City. :biggrin:

No away goals in the two legged final. On to extra time and PKs if needed.

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Look, I'm American so excuse me as I didn't grow up with soccer.

Can someone explain in elementary terms how a winner of a TWO game final is determined?

Thanks. 

The team who scores the most in total over the two games wins....simple as that.

In the event of a tie they play an extra 30 mins at the end of the second game...if still tied then a penalty shootout.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cool! Thanks.

I think there will be some live streams on youtube.

So what's the starting time for the Boca game, Thai time? 

Scheduled for 2AM "tonight", assuming it is not rained out again. Live on True at TS HD2. #667 on my grid.

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I've just seen footage of the latest Boca training session.

The stadium was completely full....I mean packed....incredible!!

And many thousands more outside the stadium who couldn't get in !

22 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

What's going to happen now Jellybean??

They'll try again Ronnie, but who knows what will happen ? I could go on and on about the lunatics in Argentina but its all been said before. Few if any of the guilty from yesterday will face the law. So there's rarely any motivation to change.

There were 2,200 coppers assigned to the match yesterday...for a game without away fans.

"Postponed" again!

Boca Juniors vs. River Plate Postponed Again; Final’s Future Unclear

BUENOS AIRES — The final that never had been is at risk of becoming the final that never was.

The meeting of River Plate and Boca Juniors, Argentina’s two biggest teams, in the final of the Copa Libertadores — South America’s biggest club soccer competition — was postponed Sunday for the second day in a row by tournament organizers. It remains unclear when, where and even if it will take place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/25/sports/boca-juniors-river-plate-copa-libertadores.html

There is "talk" now that the final could be played in Abu Dhabi ! There is some logic in this as the winner of the Libertadores plays in the Club World Cup. Given that the Club World Cup is to be held this year in Abu Dhabi in December, the winning club could stay in Abu Dhabi.

36 minutes ago, jellydog said:

There is "talk" now that the final could be played in Abu Dhabi ! There is some logic in this as the winner of the Libertadores plays in the Club World Cup. Given that the Club World Cup is to be held this year in Abu Dhabi in December, the winning club could stay in Abu Dhabi.

An appropriate punishment for the River fans that would be.

Yeah, it seems a rot in Argentinian society has been fully exposed. Maybe award the win to a Brazilian club. That'll show 'em! 

Or maybe make them merge the teams, Korean Olympics style. Call it Bover. That would make the Boca and River supporters have psychotic episodes. 

The latest is that the final will be played on either December 8 or 9 outside of Argentina, unless the powers that be decide to award the Cup to Boca. Boca has appealed that the Cup be awarded to them in a walkover, due to the River hooligans behavior in attacking the bus. A decision expected by Friday.

Archived