Is the 65,000 Baht into Thai Bank required every month I stay or every month of the year

Sadly the Consuls have failed to clarify this issue and unfortunately everyone is left guessing.  It is time the Consuls got their fingers out and held a meeting with Immigration HQ, if nothing else to emphsis that many Regional Immigration Offices seem to make up the rules as they go along!  Example"

I renewed my Retirement Visa last month at Koh Samui and asked what proof I need to produce for 65K monthly income.  Answer, 65K no good, you must have 800/400K deposit for at least 3 months before application.

A couple of weeks later the Assistance British Consul stated on Phuket radio that in fact Retireees may use the 40/65K monthly route and even published it on Thai Visa.

So c'mon British Consul, get your finger out and please advise the citizens you are allegedly representing what the current rules are and publish it on Thai Visa so that we all know.

You wonder why Brits are so critical of you when all we have is a stunning silence!

Edited by robertson468

My wife and I are both British Citizens. I got an O-A visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in London in Sept 2014. As my wife was 48 years old she got a non-immigrant “O” Visa which gave her a 90 day stay. My wife then applied for an extension based on being my dependant. 

I think the dependant visa was only introduced in August 2014. Hua Hin Immigration didn’t seem to have processed one before. The only issue we had was as we were married in Australia they would not accept our original marriage certificate and we had to go to Bangkok and have it certified by the Australian Embassy, translated to Thai and certified by the Thai Consulate. 

My Extension of Stay has RETIREMENT at the top, my wife’s has Thai writing which translated literally means FOLLOWER OF FAMILY. 

We have completed several Extensions. Each time it seems quicker than the last. We have to provide all of our original marriage certificate documents, certification and translations each year. 

We have stuck with this dependant option as we use the 800,000 savings route. We do not want to tie up 1.6 million baht in Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Sadly the Consuls have failed to clarify this issue and unfortunately everyone is left guessing.  It is time the Consuls got their fingers out and held a meeting with Immigration HQ, if nothing else to emphsis that many Regional Immigration Offices seem to make up the rules as they go along!  Example"

I renewed my Retirement Visa last month at Koh Samui and asked what proof I need to produce for 65K monthly income.  Answer, 65K no good, you must have 800/400K deposit for at least 3 months before application.

A couple of weeks later the Assistance British Consul stated on Phuket radio that in fact Retireees may use the 40/65K monthly route and even published it on Thai Visa.

So c'mon British Consul, get your finger out and please advise the citizens you are allegedly representing what the current rules are and publish it on Thai Visa so that we all know.

You wonder why Brits are so critical of you when all we have is a stunning silence!

The British Embassy's involvement in this process appears to be coming to an end. Thai immigration asked them to verify the information they were using to produce the letter and the embassy refused. I understand Thai immigration wanting greater confidence in the document, but I also understand the embassy not doing it. They would be writing to all sorts of income/pension providers many of whom would probably refuse to cooperate on data protection grounds. If they did agree to do it I'm confident that the increased workload would result in a commensurate increase in the £52 charge to the applicant and in some cases it could be a lengthy process. Far better and easier to demonstrate the money arriving in a Thai account although I appreciate that we need confirmation of what exactly they they require us to do. If the embassy can resolve that one matter for us that would be good.

Some people have asked whether they would require 65k every month. It has always been my understanding that there is a relationship between the 800k deposit and the 12 x 65k (780k) income. I wonder whether they could introduce some flexibility for those only staying for part of the year? Those that get paid differently, eg. quarterly, should be fine as long as it averages 65k per month. The embassy of course uses (certainly in my case) gross figures of income to produce the letter whereas transfers to a Thai bank will be made from net funds. Its possible some may have a problem there too.

I feel the ball is firmly in Thai immigration's court and hopefully we'll hear something soon. A bit of polite chivvying from the embassy might help. My renewal (retirement) is middle of May. I could get the letter next month as I believe applications are accepted up to 12th December. As long as the 6 months validity is maintained, job done. However, I could provide them with better proof with less work and at no financial cost to me. Here's hoping!

Edited by hargri
  • Like 1

I've just been to IO at KK today. To re new my annual extension for marriage. I had no problems using the last embassy income letter. So i did ask " what is the procedure for using money in the bank and money going into bank monthly. The officer told me, that you can only use money in the bank( lump sum ). They will not accept payment monthly into bank accout way. I did explain it states on IO website and also told her that uk, oz and usa say we can use either ways. But she was adamant that you can only use the lump sum way 

21 hours ago, allane said:

Extensions of Stay for Retirement are granted for one year. I have never heard of a custom made one, granted for some unusual time period because of the limited financial resources of the applicant.

If you are talking about the Non Imm O-A ME Visa just mentioned above, the O-A Visa can deliver two one year Permissions to Stay (when managed correctly).

21 hours ago, Rv Hawee said:

Both are British citizen.... both should need to have the monthly 65k.

My wife--we are both American citizens--has been piggy-backing my income-based retirement extensions for the last eleven years--only B65/mo is required. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

If the husband dies the spouse has 1 week to sort out her own extension or leave the country. I would call that dependant.

Every extension is dependent on something, and can be revoked if circumstances change.

It is wrong to suggest the extension we’re discussing is issued based on dependancy (financial). It is issued based on relationship.

6 hours ago, slappy said:

...So i did ask " what is the procedure for using money in the bank and money going into bank monthly...

I am using the English translations of Police Order 327/2557 and Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 made by Siam Translations for Thaivisa. Neither of the two uses the word "into" in clause 2.22 for the retirement extension. It could be that you confused the immigration official by asking about a requirement that does not exist.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:00 PM, johnwf1963 said:

Are you of state pension age? if you get the  state pension, pin the state pension annual entitlement letter to a 1 year ME visa application to the London Embassy purpose "retirement".  Then you could do three trips of up to 90 days each, and not worry about the 65000 income for that application. 

I know someone that does this for three x 60 Day trips every year....(i.e. <181 Days not tax resident in Thailand), he has been retired for quite a while now!

what happens when he ends up in a wheelchair or old folks home? with dementia

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

Every extension is dependent on something, and can be revoked if circumstances change.

It is wrong to suggest the extension we’re discussing is issued based on dependancy (financial). It is issued based on relationship.

Ok, you seem to know better.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to be assuming that TI will accept the monthly income method after the income letters & affidavits are no longer valid, but it doesn't seem that they currently accept the income method now unless you use the income letters or affidavits. So, if TI does accept the monthly income method going forward, we still don't know what documents they will require to prove income or the types of income that will be accepted.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

That is correct... All that is required is a copy of our marriage certificate. There is no discussion of dependency.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

Many different embassies call it *dependent visa*, not a  Non-O based on X relationship, but a dependency based on primarily accepted applicant's status, see below ????
http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/963/18997-DEPENDENT.html

The best answer is...no one knows and anything you read here or anywhere else is rumour, speculation, over analysis or pure fantasy or just an excuse to argue. But I am sure that sooner or later Thai Immigration will let us know.

And before you accuse me of being laizy fairy about it, Im a 6 monther on 6 off dude myself, so when they tell me I will figure it out. Before I applied for my extension based on retirement, I was going to do two SETVs with extensions. YMMV. 

Edited by Nyezhov

22 minutes ago, jabis said:

Many different embassies call it *dependent visa*, not a  Non-O based on X relationship, but a dependency based on primarily accepted applicant's status, see below ????
http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/963/18997-DEPENDENT.html

The link you have given does not lead to a page about the extension of stay of the foreign wife of a foreigner who is on a retirement extension.

Edited by Maestro

25 minutes ago, tropo said:

That is correct... All that is required is a copy of our marriage certificate. There is no discussion of dependency.

Are you talking about the same thing as is being discussed here, ie are you on an extension for the reason of retirement and all your foreign wife needed for her own one-year extension was the marriage certificate?

6 minutes ago, Maestro said:

The link you have given does not lead to the page of a website of an embassy.

Yes it does: Royal Thai Embassy of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which resides in plain text URL of http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/963/18997-DEPENDENT.html  (EDIT: sorry - forum makes them automatically linked, can't help it, but it sure is the official page, like the domain name of thaiembassy dot org would suggest )

Edited by jabis

3 minutes ago, jabis said:

Yes it does: Royal Thai Embassy of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which resides in plain text URL of http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/963/18997-DEPENDENT.html  (EDIT: sorry - forum makes them automatically linked, can't help it, but it sure is the official page, like the domain name of thaiembassy dot org would suggest )

You are right. I corrected my post while you were typing yours.

I have had enough of this off-topic talk about the extension of the foreign wife of a foreigner on an employment extension when the discussion that started it was about the extension of the foreign wife of a foreigner on a retirement extension and I have removed all relevant posts.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Are you talking about the same thing as is being discussed here, ie are you on an extension for the reason of retirement and all your foreign wife needed for her own one-year extension was the marriage certificate?

Yes, I am. That's all she needs. My wife and I are in exactly the same position as the OP and his wife.

Edited by tropo

21 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, I am. That's all she needs. My wife and I are in exactly the same position as the OP and his wife.

In other words, you are saying that your wife does not need copies of your passport's ID page and the page with your retirement extension.

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

I have had enough of this off-topic talk about the extension of the foreign wife of a foreigner on an employment extension when the discussion that started it was about the extension of the foreign wife of a foreigner on a retirement extension and I have removed all relevant posts.

That was caused by one member who is just creating a argument by using one definition of dependent to fit his opinion.

Here is one that supports calling a extension or a visa for a family member a dependent extension or visa.

image.png.b4ffa755b101685861a396b0c577b138.png

image.png.8353dbce87a20e4d419c8850cdbf5cc5.png

Source: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/dependent

They rely on the the family member who has an extension of stay that allows them to get the extension of their permit to stay in the country or to obtain a visa at a embassy or consulate.

All this political correctness about Dependent / Relationship , etc. just shows the silly nature of PC.  The lady could be primary and the husband the dependent ... Good Grief - this is Thailand.  It is refreshing that Thai Immigration mostly ignores Western preoccupation with political correctness ...Thanks for the laughs.

Just for a heads up, local Immigration in Krabi just asked friends of mine who are here under his retirement extension of stay - she as the Dependent   She is a foreigner under age 50.  They just went to get a new Year Extension and were told to being back a photo of them standing together in front of their house.  Checking here for a sham marriage I suppose.

17 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

They just went to get a new Year Extension and were told to being back a photo of them standing together in front of their house. 

Other offices have asked for the photo to prove that you are living at the address shown on the application. The photo must show the house number on it.

14 hours ago, Maestro said:

I am using the English translations of Police Order 327/2557 and Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 made by Siam Translations for Thaivisa. Neither of the two uses the word "into" in clause 2.22 for the retirement extension. It could be that you confused the immigration official by asking about a requirement that does not exist.

Hi Maestro

I am little bit confused by what you mean. First i did state, i went to apply for my extension of marriage and not retirement. The word "into" what is wrong with this word "you have to put money (lump sum 400,000 baht) "into" a bank account 3 months prior applying for extension or you have to put money (40,000 baht) "into" a bank account monthly.