My Experience Using DeeMoney

On 2/7/2019 at 12:28 PM, johnjohn2 said:

I emailed DeeMoney and asked them if you can send money to a bank other than the ones listed in the previous post. Specifically to one credit union and one bank not listed. They said I could. Im going to sign up and find out for sure. See how it goes.

See my post #60

27 minutes ago, rexall said:

I realize I am replying to an old post, but I have some relevant info. I am just trying to get up to speed with DeeMoney. Unfortunately, discovered that both of my banks in the U.S. are not on the list in the DeeMoney app.  Rats and double rats!!!  However, I have a Bank of America MasterCard and discovered that I could open a checking account online in 5 minutes with only an opening deposit of $25.  I don't know if it is that easy if you don't already have a relationship with BofA, but worth investigating if you have not already found a solution.  I was pulling my hair out trying to add my new BofA checking to DeeMoney app until I read deeper in this thread and discovered Pib's instructions that you have to enter your routing number-account number (separated by a dash).

So, you got registered with DeeMoney....and did it via long distance.   Seems it was only a couple days ago when you sent your application to DeeMoney which was discussed in a related DeeMoney thread....they must have processed it pretty fast.

And yea, in setting up my first DeeMoney transfer to my US bank I stumbled multiple times in trying to get DeeMoney to accept my US bank account number.....until I finally read their instruction closer and realize by account number for a US bank DeeMoney means "routing number plus account number" with the two separated by a dash.   

And remember, if your transfers go like mine, they will post to your US bank account before (approx 24 hour before when checking your ibanking) the status in your DeeMoney app changes to Complete as I guess it takes a day or so for the completed status to flow back to DeeMoney confirming the transfer was posted to your account.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:01 PM, jimn said:

Thanks for this really excellent post. As someone who does not wish to keep on transferring 65k per month to my Thai bank account and keeping it here, I am going to consider doing the following each month. Transfer 65k from my UK bank account to my Bangkok Bank account using Transferwise cost £10.30 or 420THB approx. Internal transfer 65k (direct debit) to my SCB account. Set up a Dee Money transfer (direct debit) back to my UK bank account cost 150THB or £3 70. Repeat each month. Cost per month £14 or 570THB. Which is £168 or 6,480 THB per year. Expensive I know but weighing this off against the £52 for the embassy letter previously and it dont seem too bad. Once set up it should work ok. 

Any thoughts

Tks, Jimn. I realize this is an old post, I am just now getting sorted out with DeeMoney and TransferWise to do exactly what you describe, and for the same reasons.  It has been an incredibly frustrating day futzing around with DeeMoney app and Kasikorn K+. It would have been impossible, I think, without all the helpful info from Pib.  Tks Pib!!! :clap2: In fact, I was dead in the water until I finally found the link to do DeeMoney online rather than via mobile => https://transfer.dee.money/customer/login  and then finalizing by using K+ QR code.  I made a successful TransferWise last week.  And the test DeeMoney I just did seemed to go without a hitch. I will be a little anxious the next few days waiting to see if the deposit goes through. If you read one of my other posts from today, you know that although my U.S. banks were not on DeeMoney's list, I was able to quickly open a checking account with Bank of America online (from here in Thailand) in 5 minutes. Very frustrating day that seems to have ended well. All of this has been a serious pain in the ass ... but once it is all in place and working, it will have been worth it.    I hope

• Like 2

rexall,

Gosh durn!!!!....new US bank account....new Transferwise account.....new DeeMoney account....life is good although it probably aged you 10 years in figuring out how to get thru the new accounts obstacle course filled with landmines and various surprises.   Good deal....glad it worked out.

48 minutes ago, Pib said:

So, you got registered with DeeMoney....and did it via long distance.   Seems it was only a couple days ago when you sent your application to DeeMoney which was discussed in a related DeeMoney thread....they must have processed it pretty fast.

And yea, in setting up my first DeeMoney transfer to my US bank I stumbled multiple times in trying to get DeeMoney to accept my US bank account number.....until I finally read their instruction closer and realize by account number for a US bank DeeMoney means "routing number plus account number" with the two separated by a dash.   

And remember, if your transfers go like mine, they will post to your US bank account before (approx 24 hour before when checking your ibanking) the status in your DeeMoney app changes to Complete as I guess it takes a day or so for the completed status to flow back to DeeMoney confirming the transfer was posted to your account.

Yeah, I emailed the DeeMoney application on  Friday and got the activation code on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Did my first transfer with DeeMoney. As I mentioned, it was awkward and confusing getting my account set up and making my first transfer.  I imagine it would have gone more smoothly if I had been in Bangkok and gotten help at one of their branches. OTOH, what a relief no having to make the trip to Bangers.

The transfer process went smoothly, but seemed to take a long time, around 6.5 days.  As you can imagine, I started to become anxious the final day or two.  E-mailed K. Nutnik and she had no explanation but said it should take that long.

• Like 1

6.5 days is long compared to the two transfers to my US bank....one transfer took 2.25 days and one 2.75 days.  The time calculation from the data/time of initiating & funding the transfer on DeeMoney and when the funds posted to my US bank. 

I was checking my ibanking numerous times per day watching for the money to post as I wanted the best possible time hack on how long the transfer took from initiating/funding the transfer to actually posting to my US bank acct because I knew that even when using Transferwise to send money to Thailand that money would post to my Thai bank account before Transferwise would not show completion on their system for another 12 to 24 hours.

Now if I had went by when the DeeMoney transaction status changed from In Progress to Completed that would have added approx a full day because apparently it takes approx a full day for the posted status update to flow back to DeeMoney.   

I also initiated both transfers on a Monday as I wanted to avoid Saturday/Sunday (da weekend) as weekend time is dead time for any money trying to move within the US ACH system which is being used in the final leg of the transfer to a US bank account.

But whether you based your transfer time on actual posting to your account or the DeeMoney status changing to complete (which takes about 1 day) your transfer took twice as long as mine.   You might want to do one more transfer to see if maybe it just had something to do with your "first" transfer with your DeeMoney account being brand new.   Maybe get some more peace of mind and another data point by sending another transfer for a low amount.  That's the only reason I sent two transfer because I wanted more than one data point....see if the short transfer time was repeatable...and in my case it was.

And just as a reminder for others who haven't used DeeMoney yet when sending to a "US bank" in the DeeMoney bank account number field you must enter the "routing number of your US bank "and" your bank account number separated by a dash.  In trying to get my first transfer initiated I stumbled/was doing some serious head-scratching as to why the DeeMoney "bank account" entry field kept telling me invalid format (and that was because I was only entering my bank account number because the field is labelled account number....not routing number "plus" account number.  But after closer reading of their instructions I figured it out.....gotta be the "routing number and account number separated by a dash" like shown below.  Once entering the data in that format DeeMoney accepted the entry....good-to-go.   And I can somewhat understand why DeeMoney don't have a separate field for US bank "routing number" as their data entry online form is generic in nature to fit the different banking formats/systems of the various countries they send to.     

Also, keep in mind DeeMoney don't send to every bank/credit union/financial company in the country you are sending to.   You can get a good idea if your bank is on their "can send to list" by going to below DeeMoney weblink and clicking on "bank branch." Probably not worth signing up if your US bank(s) is not on their list.  Now when doing this for the US it shows around 70 banks, but if you are logged onto your account there are approx 76 banks, so their list at their public website is not complete. 

"Branch" at their webpage below really means "bank" because say a bank like Bank of America has about a zillion branches across the US.  But in your DeeMoney account it will also ask for bank and branch to two separate fields with pull down menus, but for the branch field it will usually only offer Head Office and that's the one you pick for your branch.  Kinda like when you wire money to your Thai bank account it really goes to the bank's head office in Bangkok who relays it to one of their many branches across Thailand. 

https://www.dee.money/transfer-fees/#usa

image.png.d13638e577edaa9bb4d54c8b8ad7fb28.png

image.png.745fd9a3e183f419effd16b5877744f4.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

6.5 days is long compared to the two transfers to my US bank....one transfer took 2.25 days and one 2.75 days.  The time calculation from the data/time of initiating & funding the transfer on DeeMoney and when the funds posted to my US bank. 

I was checking my ibanking numerous times per day watching for the money to post as I wanted the best possible time hack on how long the transfer took from initiating/funding the transfer to actually posting to my US bank acct because I knew that even when using Transferwise to send money to Thailand that money would post to my Thai bank account before Transferwise would not show completion on their system for another 12 to 24 hours.

Now if I had went by when the DeeMoney transaction status changed from In Progress to Completed that would have added approx a full day because apparently it takes approx a full day for the posted status update to flow back to DeeMoney.   

I also initiated both transfers on a Monday as I wanted to avoid Saturday/Sunday (da weekend) as weekend time is dead time for any money trying to move within the US ACH system which is being used in the final leg of the transfer to a US bank account.

But whether you based your transfer time on actual posting to your account or the DeeMoney status changing to complete (which takes about 1 day) your transfer took twice as long as mine.   You might want to do one more transfer to see if maybe it just had something to do with your "first" transfer with your DeeMoney account being brand new.   Maybe get some more peace of mind and another data point by sending another transfer for a low amount.  That's the only reason I sent two transfer because I wanted more than one data point....see if the short transfer time was repeatable...and in my case it was.

And just as a reminder for others who haven't used DeeMoney yet when sending to a "US bank" in the DeeMoney bank account number field you must enter the "routing number of your US bank "and" your bank account number separated by a dash.  In trying to get my first transfer initiated I stumbled/was doing some serious head-scratching as to why the DeeMoney "bank account" entry field kept telling me invalid format (and that was because I was only entering my bank account number because the field is labelled account number....not routing number "plus" account number.  But after closer reading of their instructions I figured it out.....gotta be the "routing number and account number separated by a dash" like shown below.  Once entering the data in that format DeeMoney accepted the entry....good-to-go.   And I can somewhat understand why DeeMoney don't have a separate field for US bank "routing number" as their data entry online form is generic in nature to fit the different banking formats/systems of the various countries they send to.     

Also, keep in mind DeeMoney don't send to every bank/credit union/financial company in the country you are sending to.   You can get a good idea if your bank is on their "can send to list" by going to below DeeMoney weblink and clicking on "bank branch." Probably not worth signing up if your US bank(s) is not on their list.  Now when doing this for the US it shows around 70 banks, but if you are logged onto your account there are approx 76 banks, so their list at their public website is not complete. 

"Branch" at their webpage below really means "bank" because say a bank like Bank of America has about a zillion branches across the US.  But in your DeeMoney account it will also ask for bank and branch to two separate fields with pull down menus, but for the branch field it will usually only offer Head Office and that's the one you pick for your branch.  Kinda like when you wire money to your Thai bank account it really goes to the bank's head office in Bangkok who relays it to one of their many branches across Thailand. 

https://www.dee.money/transfer-fees/#usa

image.png.d13638e577edaa9bb4d54c8b8ad7fb28.png

image.png.745fd9a3e183f419effd16b5877744f4.png

Really, really a good post.  I had the same problems but got them worked out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I don't have time to look through all the posts.  I use Bangkok Bank and I'm still a bit confused about the 'automatic debit authorization'.  At first glance, it is my impression this is for 'regular and recurring' debits like an electric or telephone bill.  Am I wrong in making this assumption.  I can't get a straight answer from a Dee Money representative.

10 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Sorry but I don't have time to look through all the posts.  I use Bangkok Bank and I'm still a bit confused about the 'automatic debit authorization'.  At first glance, it is my impression this is for 'regular and recurring' debits like an electric or telephone bill.  Am I wrong in making this assumption.  I can't get a straight answer from a Dee Money representative.

Direct debits can be recurring or one-off.  "DD" simply means you don't have to intervene manually for the debit to occur.  I'd expect an "automatic debit authorization" is exactly what it describes - your bank will authorize the debit from Dee Money automatically without any intervention from you

With DeeMoney it just gives you the option to use Direct Debit to fund the transfer if desired.   Or you can use QR code payment or one other method that I think is K-bank specific.  I just use QR payment...easy....fast....no need to give DeeMoney authorization to pull money.  You might say with the QR method you are able to "push" the money to DeeMoney instantaneously.  Or you can let DeeMoney direct debit if you authorized it with them. 

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Direct debits can be recurring or one-off.  "DD" simply means you don't have to intervene manually for the debit to occur.  I'd expect an "automatic debit authorization" is exactly what it describes - your bank will authorize the debit from Dee Money automatically without any intervention from you

Thank you so much but I found out the my credit union isn't on their approved list of financial institutions in the US. ☹️

2 hours ago, Pib said:

With DeeMoney it just gives you the option to use Direct Debit to fund the transfer if desired.   Or you can use QR code payment or one other method that I think is K-bank specific.  I just use QR payment...easy....fast....no need to give DeeMoney authorization to pull money.  You might say with the QR method you are able to "push" the money to DeeMoney instantaneously.  Or you can let DeeMoney direct debit if you authorized it with them. 

Thank you so much but I found out the my credit union isn't on their approved list of financial institutions in the US. ☹️

Pookiki, I had the same problem with my U.S. bank no being on the DeeMoney list. However, I discovered that it is very quick and  easy to open a checking account online with Bank of America.  I don't know if that is because I have a BofA visa card, but it looks like new customers can do it.  Years ago, it was impossible to do that without signed, hard-copy documents.  Anyway, I hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

Great post! Thanks Pib, for all of your help. 

I'm an American who's going to be applying online from Chiang Mai. Does anyone have a list of the approved US banks that are supported by Dee Money?

Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 10:08 PM, Pib said:

Your post could imply Transferwise can be used to send money "from" Thailand which can not be done using Transferwise. Transferwise can only send money "to" Thailand.

My references to Transferwise only related to comparing use of their app to the DeeMoney app.

Why TransferWise can't send money "from" Thailand? Seems pretty stupid to make a company that can can only send money "to" Thailand and not "from" Thailand.

5 hours ago, davidupatterson said:

Great post! Thanks Pib, for all of your help. 

I'm an American who's going to be applying online from Chiang Mai. Does anyone have a list of the approved US banks that are supported by Dee Money?

Thanks! 

I think Dee money has a list.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Why TransferWise can't send money "from" Thailand? Seems pretty stupid to make a company that can can only send money "to" Thailand and not "from" Thailand.

Contact Transferwise and tell them that.  And by the way, there are a lot of countries Transferwise can not send funds out of...but no problem sending money in.

Edited by Pib

Very interesting article.

If it helps (though I didn't try it yet) Kasikorn allow International Transfers via its phone app and during Kasikorn business hours.

Free offer until 15/7/2019 otherwise 250-990 baht depending how much is transferred. Funds transferred within 3 days though TIT

Firstly, if you have K PLUS (Mobile Apllication), K PLUS have the function for international fund transfer on K PLUS version 5.2

Currently your can process the international fund transfer transaction via K PLUS to 24 countries under the 6 currencies as follows;

Country: Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, USA, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, The Netherlands, Austria, Cyprus, Estonia, Malta, Finland, Ireland, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, San Marino, Slovakia, Monaco, Belgium

Currency: AUD, HKD, SGD, USD, GBP, EUR

• 3 weeks later...

Dear customer, we are currently in the process of changing our service providers to US, UK and New Zealand. Service to these countries will be temporarily suspended effective 19th June, 2019 (3:00 p.m.) until further notice. We will update you once the service resumes. We regret the inconvenience caused. -Team DeeMoney!

Got this notification from DeeMoney today. Bummer!  Anyone have any additional information?  They say "until further notice." That sounds pretty ominous.  Bummer!

7 minutes ago, rexall said:

Got this notification from DeeMoney today. Bummer!  Anyone have any additional information?  They say "until further notice." That sounds pretty ominous.  Bummer!

How did you get that notice?  The reason I ask is because earlier today I saw some notification from DeeMoney appear on my smartphone, but when I went to open it it just disappeared.  I looked in my SMS, email, and even opened the DeeMoney app on my phone looking for the notice, but couldn't find it.  I was like whack a mole....popped up for a second and then disappeared.

When going to the DeeMoney website I see the three currencies you mentioned are no longer listed under the "Send To" selection.   

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

How did you get that notice?  The reason I ask is because earlier today I saw some notification from DeeMoney appear on my smartphone, but when I went to open it it just disappeared.  I looked in my SMS, email, and even opened the DeeMoney app on my phone looking for the notice, but couldn't find it.  I was like whack a mole....popped up for a second and then disappeared.

When going to the DeeMoney website I see the three currencies you mentioned are no longer listed under the "Send To" selection.   

The same thing happened to me Pib, the SMS appeared briefly and then vanished.  Poof!  However, I went to my account on the DeeMoney website, started to initiate a transfer, selected my U.S. bank as the recipient, and the evil notification popped up. What I posted above is an exact copy of the notification.

I don't get the notification like you are getting when using the DeeMoney smartphone app.  However when logging on via browser I do.  

When going into the DeeMoney smartphone app, click Send Money,  and then clicking on either of the US recipients I have setup (i.e., my two US bank accounts) a pop-up message briefly appears saying, "Agent for the selected recipient is inactive.  Please update the recipient."    I also get that via the browser method.

And if I click Edit Recipient the DeeMoney app stops working and logs out....have to reenter my PIN to get back in.  

Guess with no capability to now send to the US my US recipients cause the DeeMoney to act funny/lockup. 

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.  I'm not going to hold my breath that they will be back online soon (i.e., within days or weeks) for sending money to the US/UK/NJ....my bet it will take a good while.

On 11/11/2018 at 8:41 PM, Pib said:

Note : Via mobile application customer can send only 690,000THB per month, but via branches of DeeMoney no limit.

Let me be the first to admit I don't understand a lot about this type of stuff....but the above confuses me a little ....when you say "mobile application"...is that a general term for doing the transaction "Online" or does it mean doing it by means of a "mobile phone" only...as opposed to s PC ..or does it apply to both.

My reason for asking...there seems to be a hugh difference in the allowable transfer amount between that method and doing it through the branch method?

28 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Let me be the first to admit I don't understand a lot about this type of stuff....but the above confuses me a little ....when you say "mobile application"...is that a general term for doing the transaction "Online" or does it mean doing it by means of a "mobile phone" only...as opposed to s PC ..or does it apply to both.

My reason for asking...there seems to be a hugh difference in the allowable transfer amount between that method and doing it through the branch method?

I am not having a go at you, but surely you have seen and used apps on Smart phones. If you have then that is what Pib is talking about. You download and register on the app or and then use it, its simple. I believe with Dee Money you have to register in branch or they may accept an e mail registration. However if you are still using an old phone you will have no idea what I am talking about.

30 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

That was a quote from a DeeMoney email response to me....the words of a DeeMoney rep.  I expect it means online, whether using their mobile app on your smartphone to logon or if using your computer browser to logon at their website.   

And yes, different monthly amount allowed depending on whether you are doing transfers online or physically visiting a branch.   Expect that has something to do with meaning able to physically confirm you are doing the transfer vs someone having hacked your logon credentials/stole your smartphone.   It also seems that in some cases now days "being hacked" is not the right words as some people let loved ones know (or find out easy) their logon credentials, debit card PIN, bank logon credentials, etc.....and those loved ones end up not loving you at all....just after your money.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, easyride said:

Very interesting article.

If it helps (though I didn't try it yet) Kasikorn allow International Transfers via its phone app and during Kasikorn business hours.

Free offer until 15/7/2019 otherwise 250-990 baht depending how much is transferred. Funds transferred within 3 days though TIT

Firstly, if you have K PLUS (Mobile Apllication), K PLUS have the function for international fund transfer on K PLUS version 5.2

I tried to use this via the appropriate app on Friday, I applied within the correct hours, and all went well and was accepted, but when I got to paying it said something along the lines of "we can't process at the moment, please try later", I tried later and got the same.

I then used DeeMoney, paying DM with the very same app, and it went through, I was sending SGD5,600 to Singapore. 

When I send money to someone in Thailand I pop into the relevant bank and pay the money (Thai to Thai). Can I do this with Dee money or would I have to go to Bangkok and do it in person.

( No smartphone or internet banking)