LOS alternative

cleverman

23 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Australia has a website for retirees and it is called YourLifesChoice and this morning I received my subscription copy and 1 of the articles is

The 8 Best Countries To Move To For Retirement:

1: Costa Rica

2: Mexico

3: Panama

4: Ecuador

5: Malaysia

6: Colombia

7: Portugal

8: Nicaragua

That is the list of the 8 countries and there is only 1 Asian country listed.

That seems like the sort of list an American retiree magazine would have.

Is your magazine actually called YourLifeChoices?  

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, rumak said:

there is a very well-known Chiangmai TV poster who was saying her goodbyes to the TV faithful around 2 years ago.

Was making all the preparations for the big move to Malaysia and pretty much said she and hubby were on their way.   don't know the reasons why....but they are still here !   nuff said ?

You don't know the reason why,but nuff said! That would have to be the most rediculous comment so far this year. 

18 hours ago, cleverman said:

"Anyone that had a etc".   You are wrong, money going into a Malasian Bank is acceptable, and, some of us have the cash anyway. I research . Regards, Cleverman. 

Not wrong ,,,,, if you have cash you will have enough money to put 800.000 B in a Thai bank for three months to get the extension of stay.  my pension is deposited into my Thai bank each month by Centerlink Australia, Centerlink did it all for me before I came to live in Thailand that was over ten years ago. before I left Ausralia I when to Centerlink and asked the best way to get the pension in Thailand all I had to do was give Centertlink the Thai bank details and they did everything for me. I use the combination method and still have money interests in Australia. I live in a three bed room two bath room house not a new house but very good condition, have a nice car and motor bike and own all the furniture (that was a mistake do not buy your own furniture not good) live alone and have a great life, you can get many Filipino prostitutes in Malaysia, not very easy for old blokes to meet younger Malaysian ladies. very different to Thai ladies . and it is more expensive to live in Malaysia.        

40 minutes ago, cleverman said:

You don't know the reason why,but nuff said! That would have to be the most rediculous comment so far this year. 

Yea, i lived in Georgetown for a while, only reason I came back to Thailand is because of a Thai GF and a pickup registered in Thailand.

Not only that but I did visa runs there and never had one problem. You could probably live there on visa runs. I did!

If you have wheels in Malaysia, it is a nice place.

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

pretty clever.  start a topic so you can get your dose of being argumentative.  Almost every response of yours has a negative tone...if not downright disrespectful.  Thankfully there have been many positive members on this thread explaining why they would not choose

another place over Thailand.  BTW:  please inform us when you leave....nuff said !

1 hour ago, merlen10002 said:

Not wrong ,,,,, if you have cash you will have enough money to put 800.000 B in a Thai bank for three months to get the extension of stay.  my pension is deposited into my Thai bank each month by Centerlink Australia, Centerlink did it all for me before I came to live in Thailand that was over ten years ago. before I left Ausralia I when to Centerlink and asked the best way to get the pension in Thailand all I had to do was give Centertlink the Thai bank details and they did everything for me. I use the combination method and still have money interests in Australia. I live in a three bed room two bath room house not a new house but very good condition, have a nice car and motor bike and own all the furniture (that was a mistake do not buy your own furniture not good) live alone and have a great life, you can get many Filipino prostitutes in Malaysia, not very easy for old blokes to meet younger Malaysian ladies. very different to Thai ladies . and it is more expensive to live in Malaysia.        

Why ami wrong, I said money going into a Malasianbank. Didn't comment from what source. Anyway, nice to read your comments about Malasia. 

1 hour ago, garyk said:

Yea, i lived in Georgetown for a while, only reason I came back to Thailand is because of a Thai GF and a pickup registered in Thailand.

Not only that but I did visa runs there and never had one problem. You could probably live there on visa runs. I did!

If you have wheels in Malaysia, it is a nice place.

Why Penang, why not KL?

27 minutes ago, rumak said:

pretty clever.  start a topic so you can get your dose of being argumentative.  Almost every response of yours has a negative tone...if not downright disrespectful.  Thankfully there have been many positive members on this thread explaining why they would not choose

another place over Thailand.  BTW:  please inform us when you leave....nuff said !

Always know when I've won an argument, the abuse starts. Over and out. 

52 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Why Penang, why not KL?

Well, I never made it to KL, other than to immigaration, and a few over night stays for shopping. But, I am not much of a big city guy. Just fell in love with Georgetown when I arrived. 

I liked the Cameron highlands and stayed there on and off for a few months, as well as Fraziers Hill. And I really liked the National parks. I would go camping in the parks for a week at a time ususlly. No double pricing by the way!

No other reason what so ever.

22 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

have been to Ecuador many times, but not since early 2000s, international meetings in one of the two

main cities or in coastal resorts.

each delegate met by armed guards at airport just outside the plane,

followed through immigration and customs then driven to a Sheraton - Hilton or smth like that.

Armed guards in meeting rooms all day

when meetings were hosted in coastal resorts we were rounded up at a Hilton/Sheraton

in one of the two main cities,

then early Monday morning off to the resort in buses

armed guards inside each bus

armed vehicles in front of the first bus - between buses - behind the last bus

vehicles had hand weapons + mounted machine gun + bazookas

my colleagues from US (mostly FCC and DoS some DoD) and Canada, were scared shitless, really, every time

a meeting in Ecuador surfaced.

Absolutely no way of getting them to join me in going to the local for a beer, they were genuinely very afraid

and just couldn't wait for getting on a plane out of Ecuador.

no unexperienced travelers these guys, very very seasoned travelers, constantly crisscrossing the planet.

so I am kinda surprised when I do read (the last few years) that Americans list Ecuador as a retiree place.

Haha, this is what most Americans think about most S.A. countries and Mexico.

I live in a mostly hispanic community in the states. They are scared shitless of Mexico. 

8 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

I haven't found that to be true at all in Panama my years in Panama. Panama is made up of people from countries around the world. If anyone is talked bad about it is the Venezuelans.  While people keep thinking Thailand is heaven on earth while they have to deal with Thai immigration invading their lives 24/7 I got permanent residency in 3 months and enjoy my freedom to come and go as I please, do business, own land and homes and love it in Panama.

I am heading to Merida, I stayed there for a few months a couple of years ago and loved it. After I get settled in I am going to drive down to Panama Hopefully. I need to do a little research first, but those are my plans.

Also I am going to pick up a retirement visa for Mexico before I head out from Texas. 

Funny how some people here say they travel and have found Thailand to be the best place to stay. I started looking a couple of years ago, and have put Thailand pretty low on my list. Actually I did not know how bad it was until I got out of here.

Regards.

20 hours ago, whitemouse said:

People on 1 year  retirement extention are happy in Thailand, no doubt. I would be, too.

Problem is Im under, and I think most here are under 50.

It is increasingly difficult to stay here for us, also, for people who do not have, or are not willing to put 800k in Thai bank, hence this thread.

Everyone I  regularly talk to in Pattaya,  single guys, first topic of conversation is where to move, if regime keeps squeezing, and most agree it seems Vietnam. I was just there for 3 weeks, Saigon and Vung Tau, both very livable, and far better than anything in Cambodia, especially now,  Sihanoukville gone.

Its not easy for the young blokes now, granted. Im over 50, tho I honestly didn't look into Vietnam myself, I obviously had to create a shortlist based on MY preferences, and I've heard in general, its a beautiful holiday destination, but not too many positives from people who've left. However, horses for courses, and I'm sure many are happy. I hope I will visit at some point.

I have lived in various parts of the PI. You can pay top dollar for a fully western crib, but you always have to deal with what's outside the front door, and the way contracts for utilities are handled, not to mention landlords, notorious in the PI for dodgy-ness, and the surprisingly second rate 'fresh markets'. In AC, -which is ugly, but has IMO the best lifestyle set up for expats, including the best internet by far- everything looked like it had been tossed, half rotten, from somewhere else prior, and as a bit of a home cook, that was doing my head in. 

Cambodia I call 'Scambodia'. I wont even bother boring you with the endless issues there. 

The only thing the Army can do here to hurt us personally, is to stuff up the visas even more, but given they're hurting badly on the tourist front, and we're on the brink of a new global financial meltdown by all accounts, this place should be OK on that score -I hope.

One very important point about Immigration in the PI, they are a pleasure to deal with in AC, and you can do almost unlimited extensions, only having to leave every three years, however, the cost of bi-monthly extensions add up, and there is NO WAY I'm trusting ten grand US minimum, in a PI Government account. Also, if you are doing the 'holiday' visa thing and you need to prove 'residency' for whatever reason to your homeland government, they will NOT accept it, as far as they're concerned you're of no fixed abode, a drifter. So beware of that for business in particular.

11 minutes ago, garyk said:

Haha, this is what most Americans think about most S.A. countries and Mexico.

I live in a mostly hispanic community in the states. They are scared shitless of Mexico. 

yes, I understand, but as I said, my former colleagues were very seasoned travelers

In SA three countries stood out as mega dangerous to them, Ecuador - Colombia re slaughter-kidnap-ransom

and Venezuela for violent crime in general

they happily traveled to Argentina-Brazil-Chile-Uruguay-Peru and the mini states further north

I don't know...... maybe BMtoo should give his expert opinion on these ladies before i move there:

www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/panama-women?mediatype=photography&page=2&phrase=panama%20women&sort=mostpopular

27 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

I haven't found that to be true at all in Panama my years in Panama. Panama is made up of people from countries around the world. If anyone is talked bad about it is the Venezuelans.  While people keep thinking Thailand is heaven on earth while they have to deal with Thai immigration invading their lives 24/7 I got permanent residency in 3 months and enjoy my freedom to come and go as I please, do business, own land and homes and love it in Panama.

How is the cost of living compared to Thailand, as far as food and rent?

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

That seems like the sort of list an American retiree magazine would have.

Is your magazine actually called YourLifeChoices?  

Portugal is lovely, the weather is generally amazing, more and more young people (the ones behind counters) speak English, the Food and Wine and Beer are all incredibly good, and reasonable, and the Govt BS, is not too onerous, although I do recall there may be some financial hoops to face eventually.

You'll generally be treated with courtesy and honesty.

It is so safe its silly.

All drugs, every single one, are decriminalised, if that floats your boat.

Healthcare for EU citizens is good and subsidised very well (Sorry UK, goodbye to all that).

I got residency there for 15 Euros and a chat with the Mayor. ????

HOWEVER, if you are of a certain age, you can almost kiss your love-life goodbye, and I was a bit of a lad in my day. The language for me, is harder than Thai, to me it sounds like Russian, if you're competent in Spanish it may help, I'm told.

You may get lucky and land a Brit or other EU widow, but most of the local ladies who'd give you the time of day as a retiree, cant speak a word of English. And generally, Portugal is not known for its beautiful young ladies, although some Brazilians get over there, the competition is fierce.

Still, younger guys in LOS, especially EU types, really should look into Lisbon or Porto, the Algarve is like Pattaya, without the nightlife, its pricey, and you get major attitude.

If you're thinking about working down there as some sort of tourist lackey, the pay sucks, and you compete with locals, naturally.

If you're handy around boats, you may pull work helping out well heeled retirees with odd jobs in the boatyards, thats about it.

You can get your jollies for as low as 20 Euros, if you're willing to do it with an Eastern European skank at the side of the Autostrada in your car! Not my thing, dogging. ????

1 hour ago, garyk said:

I am heading to Merida, I stayed there for a few months a couple of years ago and loved it. After I get settled in I am going to drive down to Panama Hopefully. I need to do a little research first, but those are my plans.

Also I am going to pick up a retirement visa for Mexico before I head out from Texas. 

Funny how some people here say they travel and have found Thailand to be the best place to stay. I started looking a couple of years ago, and have put Thailand pretty low on my list. Actually I did not know how bad it was until I got out of here.

Regards.

I also have a pretty good personal set up here, that I tried to match everywhere I went, but couldn't. I'm not at liberty to go into detail, but, I have my bread buttered pretty good here. ???? 

So you may well see the opposite is true, and if so I wish you well, nowhere is perfect, I felt VERY pissed off when I left here last year, in spite of my good fortune.

I want to respond to the generic criticism that people looking into alternatives to Thailand are all negative people, always whining, would never be happy with anywhere.

Well, in my case I recognize the excellent setup I have in Thailand, and also recognize it would be almost impossible to replicate anywhere else, especially in my home country, the USA. 

But I also recognize I'm on a short leash with one year extensions and things can change quickly. If you don't believe that and think this paranoid, ask a Dane using the income method. 

So from my POV it just makes good sense to look into BACKUPS to living in Thailand, even for those like me with really pleasant setups here.

Either "back home" or another country. 

The main reason "other country" comes into play for me would be economics, a better possible quality of life living abroad than at home. I think it's obvious that the vast majority of foreigners retiring in Thailand (and abroad in general) are largely motivated by economics. 

17 hours ago, alex8912 said:

so many places you can still get a nice house for 175K USD( or less )

I think this is going to be a reach for the many financial refugee expats who can't put together the 800,000 baht for 3 months to get the visa...

But, I agree, though I have not lived in USA for many years, I always managed to live pretty well on not too much by living out of town a bit and buying used cars etc etc... though I do believe that most can live better here than there on the same amount of $$.. 

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm on a short leash with one year extensions and things can change quickly. If you don't believe that and think this paranoid, ask a Dane

a short leash, a Dane - - if it were that difficult, would I need to find a "Great Dane?" 

Yes. Just joking and I agree with your basic premise that people should know their options in life and that in regard to everything... 

6 hours ago, garyk said:

I spent 3 months there traveling around. I never had a problem. But, I was never at ease as I am in Thailand.

Tourist areas are fine IMO.  Cheaper than Thailand if you know the rules.

Mexico is where i am heading, The Yucatan peninsula. Safe as Thailand or safer IMO. And no immigration hassles. I have got to where I hate it here. Way to restricting for me. 

I have had it with S.E. Asia for the past few years, luckily I am financially able to, and will relocate with no problem. 

Love the Thai people in general.  Love the food. Am fed up to the eyeballs with the stupid rules! 

Color me gone. ????

Only an American (or Canadian) could have written this. Because every other nation has A TON  of immigration hassles with Mexico. On the other hand, I'm assuming that you are looking to live there permanently, rather than just visit for a few months - and even long tourist visas are now being restricted. Mexico was my first choice, too. But then I spent 7 months online in the expat forums and came to understand all the problems that even the (enormous) American contingent have to cope with.

2 hours ago, garyk said:

Regards.

You are going to "pick up a retirement visa before you head out from Texas"? You need to do some research here.

Mexico does not have a retirement visa - you speak with such confidence that I am surprised you made this statement. There is a long process to obtain permanent residency - 4 years of temporary residence first before you can apply - and then if you have retirement status (a pension/income from abroad which meets the financial  requirements) you will eventually be granted full-time residency.

You're welcome.

22 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Everywhere. 

Cambodia is very strange when it comes to food. Nowhere is food so bad, yet weirdly expensive. Street food is twice the cost of Thailand. I'm not foody, but Cambodia street food is close to not edible, unless you like strange greenish colour bowl of  cabbage,  something beteeen a soup and really bad salad. Good for losing weight tho.

It's true that is not an exaggeration. The one, and only that I've found, is something called Mee-Chu and it's a stir fry with vegetables and a fried egg on top, the meat is barely edible but they don't give you much. Cost 1 dollar. But you have to really search for the carts.

There are a lot of confusing and contradictory statements and opinions being made over these 10 pages, and I think that's because people are coming at this topic with a range of different expectations, many of which are at cross purposes.

Visas (and costs) and lengths of stay are a whole different ball game if you're talking about a 3-month visit - as opposed to looking at living/staying in a country full time.

Then there's the issue of what 'expensive' means, as this is by definition a relative term. There are replies here from elderly men in retirement, talking effortlessly about buying land, houses cars -  sitting side-by-side with responses from others who are visiting on a small budget and then will go back home (or move on) when it runs out.

(And if you just trip in and out of Thailand a few times a year, then, really, this topic isn't aimed at you, anyway - visas are easy in this case.)

In the last 12 years the cost of living, across the board, has doubled in Thailand and I simply can't afford to stay here now. Up until 5 or 6 years ago I was able to save money from my employment, but now I'm spending what I earn every month.

And over that same 12-yer period the regulations and requirements and visa options have become tighter, more complex, more restrictive and more expensive. I've been on a work visa with a work permit which cost me in total about 13,500 baht p.a. 12 years ago - the same thing today is over 23,000B.

I'll be on a $1,000 regular income (pension) next year - plus what I can pick up unofficially on the side. I'm well-educated, have wide-ranging professional qualifications and skills and I don't consider myself a Cheap Charlie, but with the convoluted red-tape hassles over visas and the rising cost of living in Thailand, after 22 years here full time I have to go somewhere where it's both more affordable and has an easier immigration attitude.

Simple as that!

On 11/16/2018 at 7:26 AM, rumak said:

well, the biggest problem with moving is that when i spoke Thai nobody would understand me !  And i'll be damned if i want to spend my time talking to other expats.   FYI:  i use the word "expat" as all seem to understand that.  I just consider myself a  STAP  :  stateless person.   Living somewhere and not speaking/relating to the locals is IMO  ....boring and frustrating.  Starting all over again with " hong nom yuu nai"  ......well,  at my age i'd probably crap in my pants a few times.

I like your style. But yes, indeed, your pants would be full if you kept asking for the 'hong nom' - the titty room. 

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

Visas (and costs) and lengths of stay are a whole different ball game if you're talking about a 3-month visit - as opposed to looking at living/staying in a country full time.

The thing is, you can get 3 mo at a time, and still stay forever in many countries.  There is no worry about "not being let back in" to return to your home.  At most locations, it is free to enter the country, and the neighboring ones - with maybe an "unofficial" charge amounting to a dollar or so. 

They look at your passport, can see you obviously aren't there to steal a lower-paying job than you could get in your passport-country, check your name doesn't pop up on their computer as a wanted criminal, then stamp you in.  Refusing to do so would be foolish, since you are obviously there to spend money. 

Archived