Mukdahan

craighj

Hello all

I've had a house just outside Mukdahan for a few years now, though I've only stay there on short stays as I've been working in Bangkok.  However at the end of this year I'm pulling the pin on work and I will be moving full time to Mukdahan.

Are there many expats in the area?  The last time I was in town there was no expat type places other than a home stay and restaurant near the river.  It would be great to meet up with some native English speakers occasionally, if that is possible?

Craighj

The Night Box Market area is about 100 meters south of the River City Hotel and across from the PTT Petrol Station on a pedestrian only soi.   I think it is closed in the day but after 5 pm the container shipping boxes turn into restaurants and bars with seating and tables between the rows.  Beer and food available and I liked the Bull Burger for a change of pace from Isaan food.

Theres a handful of expats who meet in very specific places on different days of the week, the nightbox on Friday & Saturday nights & an expensive western style bar called the Picking Cowboy on the other side of the road from it. Theres also a younger crowd of often changing English teachers who you might find in the same places on the weekend. The golf club is also quite popular amongst the older expat group, but as I'm not interested in having "a good walk spoilt" I don't know when a likely time to meet them there would be. 

I myself find, that the lack of much of an expats scene is a big part of the charm of the place, a consequence of which is a very friendly Thai population, there are a lot of Thai style bars/nightspots etc.

On 11/22/2018 at 7:25 AM, craighj said:

OK thanks, good to know.  I don’t often see many people xpats up there when I’m there.

Craighj

Be thankful.

After a few years you can thank me later and agree.

6 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I myself find, that the lack of much of an expats scene is a big part of the charm of the place, a consequence of which is a very friendly Thai population, there are a lot of Thai style bars/nightspots etc

Indeed.

+1.

One of the joys of living in Nakon Nowhere in this pleasant Land.

I’m not actually looking for a bar or farang “scene”, what I would like to do is speak with some native English speakers occasionally. Compare notes, share experiences etc, etc, etc.

Not sure I can live totally without a decent English conversation, now and again.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hi, most of the places farangs hang out have been mentioned above, there is also a coffee shop opposite the Ploy Palace Hotel I think its called Linly Coffee, maybe wrong! Nice coffee shop western style with Brit and American memorabilia, also sells alcohol. I would say at a guess there are hundreds of farangs around and in Mukdahan. I have been hear three years and it seems most keep to themselves, except for a few clicky groups. Get invited to a party somewhere and it will start from there. Some areas have their own web site. The problem here is there is no forum platform to connect with people that I know of. Anyway that's my fill. Welcome to Mukdahan, I would be happy to shout you a coffee one day. 

Cheers

14 hours ago, craighj said:

I’m not actually looking for a bar or farang “scene”, what I would like to do is speak with some native English speakers occasionally. Compare notes, share experiences etc, etc, etc.

Not sure I can live totally without a decent English conversation, now and again.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I live in Mukdahan, PM me if you want to meet up for a chat...

Archived