Emirates "new" One-Carry-On-Item-Only rule for Economy class??

miketu

On 11/14/2018 at 7:19 AM, LennyW said:

Hopefully other airlines follow this example - be good if they checked the size as well.

And check the weight of the wheelie suitcases which do fit (by dimensions) in the overhead lockers. Plenty of times i've seen 2 adults really struggle to lift a wheelie suitcase up into the overhead locker because it was so overweight whilst 1 or 2 cabin crew members watched and said nothing. 

Once I saw a farang object to this happening above him whilst he sat right there in his seat and he objected to such a heavy object being in an overhead locker.

Supervisor was called and she said 'cannot stay in the cabin'. When it was made clear it would have to be quickly moved to the cargo area before it was too late one of the owners of the bag indicated he would take the bag off the aircraft and abandon his ticket. And he disappeared quickly.

This left the obvious question of 'what was in the bag?'

Too many selfish inconsiderate people trying to avoid the time waiting for the luggage on the carousel. Everything should be challenged and weighed. Far too many heavy wheelie cases getting into the overhead lockers. Clear to see they are never opened so could easily travel in the hold. Part of the issue is also people who are over the 'hold' allowance so hand carrying additional weight.

I once got stopped at checkin as I had three carryons. One was a blanket in a plastic bag that absolutely would not fit into any of my luggage. 

Anyway, she told me no go. I bent down, tied the platic bag to the carry straps of one of my other carryon, looked at her, and she said off you go. I do wonder how it all actually worked after that incident. I know there is a weight factor, but can you just combine carryons via tape or string? I think you can if it is under the weight and size limits. 

6 hours ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I once got stopped at checkin as I had three carryons. One was a blanket in a plastic bag that absolutely would not fit into any of my luggage. 

Anyway, she told me no go. I bent down, tied the platic bag to the carry straps of one of my other carryon, looked at her, and she said off you go. I do wonder how it all actually worked after that incident. I know there is a weight factor, but can you just combine carryons via tape or string? I think you can if it is under the weight and size limits. 

I guess you don't fly much. You never seen the carry on size gauge at 99% of check in counters ?  Image result for carry on luggage  gauge

On 11/14/2018 at 11:21 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

I have used Emirates flights from Newcastle for nearly 5 years

used them for about 8 years them dropped them due to crap service, business class, expected  at least when asking for a drink to get it, among  many other let downs as time went on. Now use whoever does the cheapest business  class as service seems to be a   dirty word these  days, all I want is a big seat, the rest is  just naff.

Used Turkish last time, crap service going out, better coming back and at £2000 cheaper than Emirates to Birmingham ie £3500 Emirates and £1440 Turkish, also used Sri lankan, nice small airline and liked Colombos  small airport with free room if  stopping more than a few  hours.

Too many  have gotten too big too fast, Dubai airport and Turkish airports  just to busy.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 2:38 PM, Goanna said:

What tricks. Play by the rules. Stop holding the rest of us up. Are you a retard, or what?

no drinking bottles of whiskey on the plane. follow the rules.  and please dont speak for others.  go drink a bottle of whiskey like in your profile pic. but not on the plane.  it is illegal

On 11/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, Sydebolle said:

Sick and tired of Tom, Dick and Harry with Grannies and Aunties flying around with air-dried fish from Kalasin or baskets of fruits which would be available at destination as well. 

IMHO, if they want to limit my baggage weight, they should also limit everyone's body weight.

How about a scale at the boarding gate you walk onto holding your luggage, and if you're over you pay more.

17 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

no drinking bottles of whiskey on the plane. follow the rules.  and please dont speak for others.  go drink a bottle of whiskey like in your profile pic. but not on the plane.  it is illegal

Surely that isn't his real photo. Nobody would want such a ridiculous photo of themselves for all to see.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

IMHO, if they want to limit my baggage weight, they should also limit everyone's body weight.

How about a scale at the boarding gate you walk onto holding your luggage, and if you're over you pay more.

I can’t disagree, when the airlines state Baggage Allowance it should include the passengers body weight as well.

in years gone by everything was free but when the budget airlines started charging for everything the major airlines jumped on the bandwagon

On 1/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, BritManToo said:

This had been done donkey years ago in places like Ubon Ratchathani. Passengers had to stand on a scale for the purpose of calculating the trim sheet of the plane.

While body weight, size and height is one thing, luggage is something else.

I am appalled by the absolute ignorance and sauciness of some mostly Asian passengers moving down the aisle with three, four or more bags, pouches and, very often - a Krispy Kreme box. Latter is a product which is also available at most (Thai) destinations. 

What isn’t going to improve the cabin luggage situation is the further reduction of the hold baggage allowance for certain economy-tickets. For ‘Special’ tickets from 20 to 15 kg, for ‘Saver’ tickets from 25 to 20kg. Enters into force on February 4.

Archived