BANGKOK 18 February 2019 03:15
4MyEgo

Where to get documents certified in Udon Thani or close by

40 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I shopped around a little and did some research, and it would appear the law society has this market all sewed up with lawyers being basically the only public notaries, i.e. any lawyer can get a license as a public notary from the law society, and charge whatever they want, e.g. I was quoted 1,500 to 1,750 baht per document, which to me is outright ridiculous my research found out that when public notaries here in Thailand are not recognised under the Hague convention, meaning that most countries around the world will not accept their signatures for anything more than the following acts:

• Attestation of signature done BEFORE ME
  • Certifying TRUE COPY
  • Attestation of photos of a person
  • Administering an Oath and affirmation
  • Testimony and Oath and affirmation (Affidavit)
  • Attestation of address
  • Confirmation of Birthday
  • Certified Correct Translation
  • Etc.

A Justice of the Peace such as myself can do the same, however Justice of the Peace's are not allowed to charge for their certification, yes I know Thailand doesn't have any JP's, regardless, I ask myself, why should I pay these public notaries who are not part of the Hague convention and cannot certify government documents, a fee, a high fee at that, desperate I am not, and I have therefore asked a friend back home who is a Justice of the Peace to certify my wife's address as per her driver's license, by providing him a scanned copy of the front and back for him to certify.

If I was desperate, I would have to pay the fee, but more than one way to skin a cat.

us ambassy also do notary but you have to go bangkok and they charge you i dont remember how much but i remember they charge me!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, no deal said:

us ambassy also do notary but you have to go bangkok and they charge you i dont remember how much but i remember they charge me!

Yes agreed, thank you, in Australia to have a document certified like a drivers licence etc etc you only need a Justice of the Peace to certify it to be a true copy of the original, and there is no charge, however a Notary charges around the same price for usually government documents needing certifying, that said, as this is merely a drivers license that needs certifying by a Justice of the Peace for back in Australia, I will get it done by a friend who is a Justice of the Peace for free.

Maybe one day Thailand will have Justice of the Peace's set up as we do back in Australia where you can find them just about everywhere and provide a free service for the community.

8 minutes ago, no deal said:

i have be asked 3000 tb for one document by a layer in udon i just keep looking for a fair price the one i find ask me 1000tb for one document and a other day i have about 6 document and she charge me 3000tb,i have a lot documents to be notarize because i sale my house in america.

also in america anyone can be notary my wife was notary!

The title of your post should have been "Where can I get documents certified for FREE in Udon Thani or close by.  You didn't want solutions that posters provided but only needed to rant about having to pay for something you can get at no cost in Australia. 

My experience in the US is a Notary Public cannot legally notarize any document presented to them by a third party or any pre-signed document and it would be fraudulent to do so. 

It cost me 2500 baht to have 9 Thai documents copied, certified, translated into English and certified as "Official Translation" and they were all accepted by the US agency that requested them.  

On 11/13/2018 at 11:01 AM, no deal said:

ok she can see you tomorrow at her office,she charge 1000 tb for one page,told her you get her number from ying phone number: 0874358548 good luck!

Unfortunately, they wouldn't budge from asking 1500 baht for one page when I went there this morning.