PM Prayut makes no comment on being a prime ministerial candidate

webfact

PM Prayut makes no comment on being a prime ministerial candidate

PNPOL610807001002001.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 13th November 2018 (NNT) - Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha has declined to comment on his decision in regard to his future in politics. 

Prime Minister and chief of the National Council for Peace and Order Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha on Monday had just returned from his participation in the ceremony to commemorate 100 years since the end of the World War I held in France, and the Paris Peace Forum. 

In his comments to the press, Gen. Prayut said that he has been informed of the southern flood situation and assistance measures rolled out by state agencies. 

However, the Prime Minister declined to respond to questions about his readiness to allow any political parties to nominate him as a prime ministerial candidate. 

Meanwhile, reporters said Gen. Prayut has assigned Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen. Prawit Wongsuwon to chair the weekly Cabinet meeting, as the Premier will be attending the 33rd ASEAN Summit in Singapore between November 13 and 15 before proceeding on a trip to Papua New Guinea for the 26th APEC Summit on November 16 to 18.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-13

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

However, the Prime Minister declined to respond to questions about his readiness to allow any political parties to nominate him as a prime ministerial candidate.

All the time he doesn't come right out and say NO, he won't be a candidate, everyone is going to assume that he has every intention of being so. One day perhaps Thai politicians will learn to be open and honest, traits that would actually make them more appealing. Nah, not gonna happen.

Coyness doesn't become him unless there is a very good reason for it.

By prolonging any announcement he can stretch out his unofficial campaign for those pro-junta parties who are likely to nominate him as PM. Also he can extend the use of treasury funds to hand out taxpayer money to buy both their's and his popularity.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

All the time he doesn't come right out and say NO, he won't be a candidate, everyone is going to assume that he has every intention of being so. One day perhaps Thai politicians will learn to be open and honest, traits that would actually make them more appealing. Nah, not gonna happen.

He doesn't want to be a candidate. Candidates have to offer themselves, debate, tolerate unpleasant questions and suffer the ignominy of rejection, which he is incapable of.

He wants to be begged to come back - old muggins 'reluctantly' having to save the day yet again. That way he gets to keep the job AND to sidestep the less savoury aspects: 'Hey, I didn't want this in the first place, so away with your bothersome scrutiny and rude questions...'

9 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Uncle will never abandon the…tens of millionsmillionstens of thousandsthousands…hundreds of people who love, follow, and depend on him.

Even hundreds is probably pushing it, let's be honest...

Just think he got cold feet after realizing how unpopular he is and the pro-junta political parties not gaining any traction. His 4 years of living in his bubble finally burst by a sense of reality. He is done and even if he get to the top by deceit, he will confront mass anger manifestation. 

legalize marijuana for personal use and you'll be priminister guaranteed. You can take everyone elses rights but even it out with the right to get high!....

If not i predict civil unrest. The good pm visited our province recently and the night before everyone put up hate banners that i took photos of but wont share for obvious reasons. Police were out in force pulling them all down the very next morning. I must say i had no idea there was so much anger at this pm by all thais not just the younger crowd.

2 hours ago, baboon said:
2 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Uncle will never abandon the…tens of millionsmillionstens of thousandsthousands…hundreds of people who love, follow, and depend on him.

Even hundreds is probably pushing it, let's be honest...

Ah…but don't underestimate Uncle. He’s easily generating enough swag to keep three figures worth of sycophants rolling in cash and deliriously happy.  

13 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

He's probably still deciding if a win is certain enough. Whatever happens, this guy could not tolerate losing, his face would be gone forever and that's just not on.

Wouldn't be too concerned about the good Field Marshal.

He's still firmly placed among influential circles and in the loop.

Guarantee he'll come out smelling like a rose, in one form or another. 

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Wouldn't be too concerned about the good Field Marshal.

He's still firmly placed among influential circles and in the loop.

Guarantee he'll come out smelling like a rose, in one form or another. 

I know I'm not the person most admiring of other people, but if what you say is right, then I'm lost in wonderment at the 'why' of it all. So far as I am concerned, this guy doesn't even have an operational brain, and appears to me to have no discernible talents at all, except lying and that's something that any Thai can rightly claim as a skill.

And yet you suggest he's firmly embedded among the elites, and maybe you're right. Perhaps they too have no operational brains? They are Thais after all, and one shouldn't expect too much...

Sometimes I look at these people and all I can do is shake my head at it all. It's a real puzzle to me, how a nation gets to be like this.

9 hours ago, HalfLight said:

I know I'm not the person most admiring of other people, but if what you say is right, then I'm lost in wonderment at the 'why' of it all. So far as I am concerned, this guy doesn't even have an operational brain, and appears to me to have no discernible talents at all, except lying and that's something that any Thai can rightly claim as a skill.

And yet you suggest he's firmly embedded among the elites, and maybe you're right. Perhaps they too have no operational brains? They are Thais after all, and one shouldn't expect too much...

Sometimes I look at these people and all I can do is shake my head at it all. It's a real puzzle to me, how a nation gets to be like this.

And yet, the local communities still function everyday independently; free; and self-sufficient as they have for decades under similar ruling forces. 

One of numerous Asian paradoxes that many have yet to comprehend.

6 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

And yet, the local communities still function everyday independently; free; and self-sufficient as they have for decades under similar ruling forces. 

One of numerous Asian paradoxes that many have yet to comprehend.

Including me, as stated. Yet as you say, they continue to function. They drive their broken Kubotas along broken roads that go unrepaired because the pooyay bahn or nai amophur has lines his/her own pockets with what should have paid for tarmac and foundation.

Then they plant, rear and cut their rice, sell what they don't propose to eat, trading a little for non-carbohydrate food so their kids aren't permanently under-intelligent and under-educated..

In short, they take no bloody notice at all of the societal framework constructed by them at the big house and the landed barons; beyond living within the cultural framework that has been designed specifically for them. Their society is founded upon obedience, conformity, superstition, lying, cheating and thieving.

What's not to understand?

28 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Including me, as stated. Yet as you say, they continue to function. They drive their broken Kubotas along broken roads that go unrepaired because the pooyay bahn or nai amophur has lines his/her own pockets with what should have paid for tarmac and foundation.

Then they plant, rear and cut their rice, sell what they don't propose to eat, trading a little for non-carbohydrate food so their kids aren't permanently under-intelligent and under-educated..

In short, they take no bloody notice at all of the societal framework constructed by them at the big house and the landed barons; beyond living within the cultural framework that has been designed specifically for them. Their society is founded upon obedience, conformity, superstition, lying, cheating and thieving.

What's not to understand?

Sounds much akin to the civilised Western world. 

Not as developed or connected as one might consider. 

23 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Sounds much akin to the civilised Western world. 

Not as developed or connected as one might consider. 

Agree. The development of Thailand into a society similar to western countries began some time ago, which kind of paints the Thai 'foreigners don't understand us' and 'we have nothing to learn from foreign countries' into a somewhat ridiculous picture.

Human development is bound to follow similar paths across the world. The question is... 'how well will they be followed? 'Given the predilection in Thailand for incompetence and 'close enough is good enough' sloppiness, one wonders how long the convergence between Thailand and the civilised world will last and how much benefit will it deliver to Thais.

Archived