Getting tough: Bangkok governor says time is up for soi dogs

webfact

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that will happen is that the dog feeders will just put collars on the stray dogs..This effectively prevents the dog catchers of rounding them up..This is done in Darkside Pattaya where many packs of dogs look well fed whilst living where there are no houses although some now have collars ..I regularly see 3 motorbikers and 2 cars that

go daily and feed these pests

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

..export to Vietnam?

Or China. That’s actually a good idea, sell each dog for 500 baht, and let’s say there are around 200,000 In bkk, that will be 100,000,000 baht, those money could be used to buy some road sweepers so the road and be a bit cleaner, and have garbage bin every 200m is needed also.

Get rid of the people who wake up and cook them food. Then go out and throw it around. They like those people. As a jogger they are one big pain in the ass.  Both the soi dogs and the people who feed them. Take them home if you love them so damn much..

An earlier post said there are an estimated 640,000 stray dogs in Bangkok.   Thats an awful lot of food they have to find and a gigantic amount of poo on the streets every day. I know this sounds cruel, and I presume I will get insults from some people here but I think a good solution for the dogs that are beyond having a good life because they are so starved and ill, is to euthanise them and give them to the crocodile farms. But don't let the public know.

3 hours ago, iforget said:

Plain stupidity yet again. There are an estimated 640,000 street dogs in Bangkok. Lock up 8,000 and all you are doing is donating extra food (garbage) to the remaining 560,000.

Well fed dogs breed faster than starving dogs.

Bangkok govt would do better to sort out the garbage stinking up the streets of Bangkok.

This would help to control population growth of street dogs, feral cats and rats.

But for population reduction, sterilisation and vaccination take time but they are the ONLY effective remedy. Anything else is a pointless waste of effort, manpower and funds.

As for impounding the dogs, has no one learned any lessons from earlier this year when 3,000+ dogs were dumped in a pound in Nakhon Phanom?

In a matter of weeks around 2,300 were dead from starvation, disease and injuries in fights. This is humane?

No. It's not.

Even if you loathe street dogs, you have to understand that kneejerk slaughter/impounding WILL NOT WORK.

In a matter of days, weeks or months strays will be back on your street. They'll just be different strays.

Tell the Bangkok authorities to be patient and put serious effort behind sterilsation and vaccination.

Totally agree with your comments. Neutering is the only answer long term. 

in bangkok ladkrabang they are everywhere

the convenient resort hotel the staff encourage the soi dogs to hang around

i think some of the staff prefer the soi dogs to the farang customers

you cannot even walk outside your hotel without being growled at which the staff find very amusing

i will never stay in that hotel again!!!

25 minutes ago, peter14 said:

Shame. Soi dogs make Thailand unique.   Human have no respect to animal  

What?

If something is bad that that is OK as it makes the place 'unique'?

So do you not want them clear up all the tonnes of plastic waste floating in the Gulf of Thailand, stop burning the forests, stop having massive road deaths, stop massive corruption, poverty, bad education, etc etc..... as they make Thailand unique?

How quickly do they breed? Is the population too big for neutering/sterilisation to be an option? I mean, in the time it takes for the veterinary team to catch, sedate and operate one dog, maybe a 1000 dogs give birth to puppies? How many teams are needed and at what speed do they have to work in order for neutering to be a serious option? And I think neutered dogs that run around in a soi can still bite you. If you gathered ALL the dogs at the same time and kept the bitches in a separate place and then started operating, then _maybe_ that would be a solution. Otherwise, I'm afraid the only viable option is to kill them. That's the only solution that works quickly enough. You'd still need a bunch of doggie death squads to handle the enormous numbers we're talking about here. It's almost on the scale of handling a rat infestation. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Aswin said that BMA staff will be trained in dog catching techniques so that the public will not have to wait so long for action when they make complaints about strays. 

Interesting that "Aswin" is a brand of sticky rat-catching trays.......

51GLGN1axOL.jpg

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

At least an admission of the problem if nothing else.

What you need Sir is a cull on a massive scale   ,,,,,, look it up in the dictionary

While we are at it, can we cull boom-boom truck owners and drivers, and noisy motocy racers.....to name but a few. Oh, and politicians.

1 hour ago, varun said:

Sorting out the dog problem makes sense. 

How they choose to deal with it is up for debate.

I agree, sorting it out makes sense. That's not what they're doing, though, they're just moving the problem to somewhere else. "Up country" is about to have a Soi dog apocalypse on their hands.

Officials in 50 districts are being trained in catching techniques and strays will be carted off up country after screening

Carted-off to cause havoc in another province!  ****in marvelous!  Out of sight, out of mind!

I can't walk out of my village without 20/30 soi dogs eyeing-me-up for their next meal!  How many people have to get bitten/die before somebody in authority actually gives a shit!

Then they will be taken to a facility in Thapthan district of Uthai Thani - several provinces north away from Bangkok - to a dog pound there that can cater for 8,000 animals

I think the people there live nearby will not be happy 

but I don't believe anything will change 

Archived