Court gives Canadian vandal 100K fine - but what about "Scouser Lee"?

webfact

Court gives Canadian vandal 100K fine - but what about "Scouser Lee"?

8pm.jpg

Canadian media reported that their 22 year old national who spray-painted the historic Tha Pae gate in Chiang Mai in mid October has been let off with a fine. 

CTV News Edmonton said that Brittney Schneider had been fined 100,000 baht. She was initially given two years jail plus the fine but the judge took pity. 

She said: 

“Honestly I’m so relieved, I’m so happy and I am beyond thankful that the judge showed so much compassion for us,"  "Actually a lot of people I’ve met in Thailand showed a lot of compassion even tho [sic] it was their wall I vandalized. They still were so nice to me and were so worried about me.”

The news organization said they did not know when Schneider would be returning to Alberta.

“I have to wait for the court to send papers to immigration stating my case is closed and that I’m no longer black listed”, she added.

Schneider used a can of black spray paint to mark the letter "B" on the wall. 

Her accomplice Lee Furlong, 23, from Liverpool wrote much more including an attempt to spell the word "Scouser" (an inhabitant of Liverpool).

The Canadian TV station made no mention of his fate. 

Earlier reports suggested that the vandals could face a jail term of up to ten years for desecrating a historical monument.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-13

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Curious to see what the OTHER kid gets....any news????

This report states they received the same 2 years suspended and ฿100,000 fine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/brittney-schneider-thailand-graffiti-no-prison-1.4902611

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

It may stop other  people  behaving in a similar way though 

Maybe, it might also make people think twice before coming on holiday to a country where foreigners are sentenced very differently to locals.

Then again maybe they won't care. It will be reported world wide anyway, that's for sure.

Two years supended prison sentence plus thousands of dollars in fines for mere graffiti - pathetic!

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Maybe, it might also make people think twice before coming on holiday to a country where foreigners are sentenced very differently to locals.

Two years supended prison sentence plus thousands of dollars in fines for mere graffiti - pathetic!

Yes, hopefully potential tourists who feel that they are inclined to act in a similar way , will decide not to  come to Thailand 

52 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Then again maybe they won't care. It will be reported world wide anyway, that's for sure.

and if they just sentenced differently based on income / buying power ?

Western countries do that.

also, I'm pretty sure the ease of cleaning up was not at the center of the two punks' concerns when they sprayed the wall, so it shouldn't be considered for the punishment.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

good i dont think farangs or Thai what these fools here anyway. they make the rest of us look bad.

30 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Only the backwards ones.

Its a necessary thing to do , otherwise rich people would break laws and just pay a fine , which will have no effect on them .

A millionaire wouldnt even notice a $100 fine , whereas a penniless homeless person would

"Two years supended prison sentence plus thousands of dollars in fines for mere graffiti - pathetic!"

She should be happy she was not in Singapore ...... Pathetic that a visitor to a foreign country, makes a arse out of herself.

Singapore:

.. the CANE .. WELTS on the arse ..

A 2 year sentence would be appropriate for the graffiti cretins worldwide, people like Banksy. If they'd dealt with Kilroy in a strict way we probably wouldn't have all this graffiti around today. To me it's far worse than littering and is a sort of sickness. This "lady" should have served her sentence with no reduction, with hard labour thrown in. So should the Scouser, and I'm from that part of the world myself.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

If it makes people think twice who are the type to spray graffiti then that’s a good thing. 

We don’t need more “Scousse Lee” and “B”. 

28 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Imagine.

After a heavy night on the pi$$, waking up with the world's worst hangover, unable to remember what happened at the end of the previous night, and Brittney is sitting on your face.............

Count your blessings, you woke up.????

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Only the backwards ones.

The so-called advanced counties like the US, UK, Australia etc are covered in graffiti because the penalties are so light. Perhaps you are a graffiti "artist" yourself and see no harm in it? Others see it as a blight on the landscape.

42 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

If it makes people think twice who are the type to spray graffiti then that’s a good thing. 

We don’t need more “Scousse Lee” and “B”. 

*Oi Bruv, fancy gunna Thailand for an oliday , roll a few spliffs and get a couple a prossies and get well wasted"

<deleted> to dat bruv, we may end up in da slammer for riting our name on a wall"

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its a necessary thing to do , otherwise rich people would break laws and just pay a fine , which will have no effect on them .

A millionaire wouldnt even notice a $100 fine , whereas a penniless homeless person would

You are right, but this is Thailand!!! The fines are written in the law so everyone have to pay the same. And it looks like it hit only the poor one.

The fines looks like: "shall be imprisoned as from one year to ten years and fined as from two thousand Baht to twenty thousand Baht."

Just search for fines!!! Source: https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thailand-penal-code.html

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Just think though how western cities would be cleaned up if a similar standard was upheld. Isn’t lashing used in Singapore for spitting on the street?  I heard it’s considered socially acceptable for Chinese to spit on the floor in restaurants and the Chinese tourists are given a booklet for how they should conduct themselves while traveling in Thailand. (That’s the rumor I’ve heard.) Maybe some people just never learn to behave with socially responsible civic standards? 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

It may stop other  people  behaving in a similar way though 

I agree. Not whether the wall can be cleaned or salvaged but to send out a message that you ,as a guest of the country you visit, respect their culture and traditions. Don’t be an axxxhole when traveling overseas. 

It is of course the absolute right of a host government to impose a punishment through the courts, as it sees fit and according to the local law. 

That said, it may occur to Thai lawmakers to enshrine the blatant disparity in punishment for minor misdemeanours, which under the present laws is not explicit, into two separate codes, one for Thais (a rap on the knuckles, a shamefaced insincere apology) and one for foreigners (a stiff fine, a threat of gaol, a terrifying ordeal in a foreign language ).

That way, visitors to this fair land would have a better grasp of what to expect from the judge in the event of arrest for a drunken, juvenile slip-up. 

Archived