Court gives Canadian vandal 100K fine - but what about "Scouser Lee"?

webfact

39 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Total case of punishment not fitting the crime. The court has responded to silly hysteria as shown on social media. A bit of graffiti for gods' sake!

If they pursued much more serious crimes with as much vigour, they might hold a tad more respect.

Make them a cup of tea and send them home with a slap on the wrist? That kind of "punishment" works well as a deterrent in the UK doesn't it?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe, it might also make people think twice before coming on holiday to a country where foreigners are sentenced very differently to locals.

Then again maybe they won't care. It will be reported world wide anyway, that's for sure.

Two years supended prison sentence plus thousands of dollars in fines for mere graffiti - pathetic!

what was she thinking idiot this is Thailand !

If she had been Thai it would have been a wai and a 1,000 baht fine. Once she posted the 150,000 baht bail the deal was sealed. 100,000 baht fine and 50,000 lawyer fee. She was never getting any bail money back and she couldn't plead poverty.  

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Make them a cup of tea and send them home with a slap on the wrist? That kind of "punishment" works well as a deterrent in the UK doesn't it?

..No,

Let's hang, draw and quarter them, then round up three generations 9of their families and throw them all in a gulag for a silly boy writing on a wall whilst drunk!  What a daft statement you make.

As if, 2,500 GBP fine isn't enough. It will probably be about six weeks take home wagers for a boy of his age. Hardly a cup of tea and a slap on the wrist.

Lucky he didn't park his bike on double yellow lines, you'd be seeking the death penalty!

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

..No,

Let's hang, draw and quarter them, then round up three generations 9of their families and throw them all in a gulag for a silly boy writing on a wall whilst drunk!  What a daft statement you make.

As if, 2,500 GBP fine isn't enough. It will probably be about six weeks take home wagers for a boy of his age. Hardly a cup of tea and a slap on the wrist.

Lucky he didn't park his bike on double yellow lines, you'd be seeking the death penalty!

Sometimes people need a wake-up call and they both have had theirs.  Personally I don't see a fine as being drawn and quartered, especially when the money probably came from a gofundme or the like, so the whole experience, other than the embarrassment of being caught, has cost them both very little. BTW, I hope you contributed to their fines seeing you feel so badly for them.

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

Only the backwards ones.

I wouldn't call Finland and Switzerland backward countries! I would call them the most progressive ones, and there seem to be other European countries considering this In the future. I fine needs to be deterring. If your earn 50'000 US$ a month and you have to pay a 500 US$ fine, it is not deterring, but if you earn only 9'000 Baht a month a 900 Baht fine is indeed very deterring, simple as that.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/in-finland-speeding-tickets-are-linked-to-your-income/

You forgot the suspended sentence.

When or if they travel to countries that ask you if you have ever been convicted, you would have to lie to get in. Otherwise, you may not get in.

So it's a bit more than the fine...

..No,

I am a scouser too, but idiots are idiots and have to be shown what is right and what's not.

There were Furlong neighbours of ours, doubt if they would have been impressed if this was one of theirs.

48 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sometimes people need a wake-up call and they both have had theirs.  Personally I don't see a fine as being drawn and quartered, especially when the money probably came from a gofundme or the like, so the whole experience, other than the embarrassment of being caught, has cost them both very little. BTW, I hope you contributed to their fines seeing you feel so badly for them.

Nope, no donation from me.

They were silly and paid the price, case closed in my book. I think they were dealt with severe enough.

One way you are guaranteed to hurt anybody from the North in the UK is when it hits them in their pocket!

I just don't see it warranting a jail sentence. They then probably lose their jobs back home, a criminal record because they have been in prison in Thailand and then received a suspended sentence, for such a miserable offense?

A country where if you have money, you can mow down civilians in a car whilst playing with a mobile phone killing many and walk away with a fine and community service? yet the hang em high lot, want them jailed for graffiti?.

Ridiculous!

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe, it might also make people think twice before coming on holiday to a country where foreigners are sentenced very differently to locals.

Then again maybe they won't care. It will be reported world wide anyway, that's for sure.

Two years supended prison sentence plus thousands of dollars in fines for mere graffiti - pathetic!

No problem, let these idiots stay home.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:55 AM, ukrules said:

people should think MORE than twice and research any foreign country before going there, MORE so to anywhere in Southeast Asia. 

Archived