quick question about the Thai lottery

smedly

I very rarely partake but a few days ago I did

I bought a ticket from a vendor for 100baht, but after reading some articles I noted that I should have got 2x tickets more or less the same but the vendor only gave me one, there were other Thai people around that I know that said nothing

So my question is - should I have received a pair of tickets for one purchase, if so it is worth drawing attention to this fact and that some vendors seem to be withholding one of the ticket halves for themselves when selling to people like me that are not quite aware of what you should be getting.

I will of course be asking the Thai people that were there at the time why I only got one ticket and if I should have got two - why they didn't speak up. 

16 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Some charge 80 baht for a single ticket , some charge 100 . Some will only sell sets.

But as Meechai states , 80/100 baht gets you one ticket and the first prize is 6 million baht.

ok so if I get the other part (number pair) of this ticket it will cost 200baht (2x80 160)

Now I am confused, after reading online it seems to say a single ticket (one of a pair same number) should only cost 40baht and a pair (same number) 80baht

Obviously I am still a little confused lol which is why I started the thread 

quote from google

The official cost of a single ticket is 40 baht, but lottery tickets can only be purchased in ticket-pairs, making the official retail price 80 baht. In practice, the official price is almost always marked up. Street vendors might ask 120-130 baht for a ticket-pair.

Edited by smedly

22 minutes ago, NE1 said:

There are no pairs any more. It is a single ticket officially costing 80 baht. . If you buy a set , there is maybe 6 in a set for arguments sake. Those 6 tickets will all have the same number and will cost either 480 to 600 baht. If that number wins you get 6 x 6 million baht. 

ah cheers for that, so the google wiki is old information

Many thanks for clearing this up

best regards

• Like 1

Yes, official price 80THB for one ticket (i think it's also written on the ticket itself), many people you see walking arround will ask for 100THB (actually that's illegal, but who cares...).

I wouldn't call it a rip off, they tell you the price and you are free to buy it or not. Afaik the vendors get to keep about 10THB per ticket (if they sell it for 80THB)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mr.buffalo said:

The thing is when I win where do I go to get my winnings? 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you go to a police station to register the win.

Oh, and there is a 0.5% Tax also.........Good Luck.........:wai:

9 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

How is the winning numbers developed ? Random numbers or random draw of registered tickets sold? If registered tickets sold how do lottery officials know which tickets were sold?

Random numbers. You also win something if only some of the numbers on your ticket are correct.

14 hours ago, mr.buffalo said:

The thing is when I win where do I go to get my winnings? 

From experiencing several small wins (2,000 and 4,000 baht) my local gold shop cashed winning tickets for 1% commission - so a 2,000 baht win will cost you 20 baht. I have to write my name and phone number on the reverse of the ticket.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What happens to all the money collected from the Lottery ?

According to the act creating the GLO, the proceeds received by the Government Lottery Office from the sale of lottery tickets shall be allocated as follows:[3][8]

1. 60% as prizes.
  2. not less than 28% as state revenue.
  3. not exceeding 12% as expenditure on administration inclusive cost of sales: 9% for cost of sales and 3% for administrative costs.

20 hours ago, NE1 said:

There are no pairs any more. It is a single ticket officially costing 80 baht. . If you buy a set , there is maybe 6 in a set for arguments sake. Those 6 tickets will all have the same number and will cost either 480 to 600 baht. If that number wins you get 6 x 6 million baht. 

Has any Farang ever won 6 x 6 million Baht, or even any worthwhile amount in the Thai national lottery?

I have but I,m not prepared to divulge anymore as I do not want any relatives asking for "loans" or begging letters from neighbours and certainly NO scantily clad nubile single ladies pics being sent seeking a boyfriend........:clap2:

Itinerant lottery ticket vendors are among the poorest of society. As said, it is a case of caveat emptor if you buy at more than the official price. Why call it a ripoff, and why begrudge such a person a few extra Baht? You bought knowing the price.

Thai onlookers will almost always look on silently - such is the culture. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you go to a police station to register the win.

Oh, and there is a 0.5% Tax also.........Good Luck.........:wai:

And make sure you take a witness who takes photos and video and don't let the cops hold the ticket and watch while they take photocopies and demand that you write some details on any photocopies they hold. (Same as you should when the bank asks you to sign a copy of your passport etc., when you withdraw at another branch, you should the the location, the reason for the photocopy, date and time etc.) 

My Thai son just told me that today many Thai folks sign the back of their tickets 2 times immediately after purchase and write the date and time of signature and take photos with a camera / smartphone which records date and time. My son mentioned he read in a Thai news thread about a Thai man who regularly buys tickets and immediately gets someone to take several photos of himself and the vendor and the lottery tickets and his Thai ID card.

I asked my son if this was law in any way?. His response was that he has no real knowledge on this point but doubts that it's law, but many people do the quick double signature bit. I asked my son why sign 2 times. He had no answer on this point but he said keep in mind there are several lotteries so perhaps there are some guidelines on this from the different lottery organizers. 

Why? Because of recent claims by others that they were really the owners of the ticket(s) leading to controversial court cases.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

How is the winning numbers developed ? Random numbers or random draw of registered tickets sold? If registered tickets sold how do lottery officials know which tickets were sold?

used to be about 20 sexy thai ladies holding up the numbers as they were drawn from a barrel. But it's been replaced by 6 stone-faced women spinning cylinders with numbers on it. 

It's on TV

Edited by Time Traveller

21 hours ago, NE1 said:

Some charge 80 baht for a single ticket , some charge 100 . Some will only sell sets.

But as Meechai states , 80/100 baht gets you one ticket and the first prize is 6 million baht.

Thai lottery made it illegal to charge for multiple tickets. 

They even put 80 baht on the ticket now.

Threats of removal of ticket sellers licenses. 

Have to remember that every ticket is a multiplier of the 6 million. 

A friend had 3 the same, 18 million baht.

They still charge 100 each for sets.

But, TIT.

3 minutes ago, gamini said:

what a cheapskate you really are.  the ticket sellers are poor. you call paying an extra bt20 being "ripped off". Pathetic post.

Rubbish. 

They sit down and check all unsold tickets before handing back.

And extract the winners. 

Plus the fee for selling. 

Plus the extra 20 on multiple tickets. 

It's the most uncontrolled lottery i've ever seen. 

• Like 1