Cheese, Anyone?

Shoeless Joe

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Hope it makes a change from the usual no flavor/taste of the wax stuff they usually sell, labelled as Cheese.

Yet to find a decent Cheese. ☹

Actually, New Zealand's Mainland branded cheese is not bad at all. Particularly their Vintage and Epicure varieties. In fact a 20 baht price increase per packet earlier in the year caused quite a commotion amongst some TV members.

5 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Not to hijack the tasty red cheese thread... but does anyone know where to buy some tasty buffalo mozzarella cheese?... The round kind usually in water... Rimping has one option option but it not really soft once opened...

Tops for mozzarella in water.  New Zealand's Mainland branded cheese.  Saute 2 tbs French butter in 2 tbs Italian flour till flour smell gone and mix in small cubes of New Zeland Vintage cheese and serve on American sourdough toast. 

Actually, New Zealand's Mainland branded cheese is not bad at all. Particularly their Vintage and Epicure varieties. In fact a 20 baht price increase per packet earlier in the year caused quite a commotion amongst some TV members.

Have to agree that the Vintage stuff is okay , Tasty is not bad but Edam is rubbery ! ( no old Chinese joke intended ).
BUT, it’s the price that’s the downfall for these cheeses.
Makro remains the best bargain for cheese fanatics in LOS but you have to buy 2 kilos to make it worth your while ( 2 kilos !! , okay then [emoji51]).

Thankfully I’m making a cheese run at the weekend back to the Mecca of cheese aficionados ( Yorkshire ), have my cooler bags and ice packs at the ready.
Have already instructed my daughter to fill her bath with melted Wensleydale!, out of the airport, quick drive down the M62 , don my snorkel and flippers and a shallow swan dive from the cold tap into cheese heaven !!

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Hope it makes a change from the usual no flavor/taste of the wax stuff they usually sell, labelled as Cheese.

Yet to find a decent Cheese. ☹

Hey there Charlie H et al...OK here you are, Enoteca one of the best cheese and wine sellers and Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai. Not far from Meechok Plaza, they have a selection of maybe 30 cheeses or more and wines from circa 500 baht per bottle to 30,000 baht per bottle for the good stuff. They have a lunch time menu for about 200 baht (not including drinks). Well worth a visit. So Charlie H, maybe next time a ????

Regards,

Joe

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Enoteca-Italian-Restaurant/772663189520006

Hey there Charlie H et al...OK here you are, Enoteca one of the best cheese and wine sellers and Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai. Not far from Meechok Plaza, they have a selection of maybe 30 cheeses or more and wines from circa 500 baht per bottle to 30,000 baht per bottle for the good stuff. They have a lunch time menu for about 200 baht (not including drinks). Well worth a visit. So Charlie H, maybe next time a [emoji846]

Regards,

Joe
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Enoteca-Italian-Restaurant/772663189520006

Isn't that the Bomissimo reincarnation? At Fifth Avenue?

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We made 1/2 kilo of fresh cheese last Sunday.  Made a herbed Garlic/Dill, the texture of a very firm sliceable Feta (rather than crumbly) that was delicious. So much so, we finished it in two days, sliced on Ritz crackers.  Milk and fresh herbs from Rimping, rennet from E-bay,  cheese cloth from YOK.

Fresh cheeses are VERY easy to make at home. This one took just about three hours total time, including the waiting between steps, perhaps 30 minutes actual working time. Farmer Cheese, Feta, Mozzarella, herb cheese spreads... all just about as easy to make at home.  Nothing like really fresh Mozzarella in a Caprese salad or melted on a baguette!

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

We made 1/2 kilo of fresh cheese last Sunday.  Made a herbed Garlic/Dill, the texture of a very firm sliceable Feta (rather than crumbly) that was delicious. So much so, we finished it in two days, sliced on Ritz crackers.  Milk and fresh herbs from Rimping, rennet from E-bay,  cheese cloth from YOK.

Fresh cheeses are VERY easy to make at home. This one took just about three hours total time, including the waiting between steps, perhaps 30 minutes actual working time. Farmer Cheese, Fehe 20 baht reductiota, Mozzarella, herb cheese spreads... all just about as easy to make at home.  Nothing like really fresh Mozzarella in a Caprese salad or melted on a baguette!

Yes, excellent, wonderful, well done you, for being so industrious AND thrifty..but don't you think the 20 baht reduction in the "Tasty" red, mature New Zealand cheese is also worth a small comment?

Joe

On 11/14/2018 at 8:21 AM, CharlieH said:

Yet to find a decent Cheese.

Try the stuff made by a real professional Swiss/German/Italian cheese maker from highest quality milk --- You won't be disappointed.
https://de-de.facebook.com/mediteranean.kitchen/
(I have no other relationship with this business than being a highly satisfied customer.)

On 11/14/2018 at 9:29 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Makro remains the best bargain for cheese fanatics in LOS but you have to buy 2 kilos to make it worth your while ( 2 kilos !! , okay then emoji51.png).

I'm enjoying Beston Cheddar from Rimping at 350bht/Kg sold in 200gm packages. It's not at all bad for a mild cheddar. 

3 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Yes, excellent, wonderful, well done you, for being so industrious AND thrifty..but don't you think the 20 baht reduction in the "Tasty" red, mature New Zealand cheese is also worth a small comment?

Joe

No. I don't.

Saving 2,000 baht would be worth a sentence or two. Saving 200 baht, perhaps a word or two. But 20 baht? No, I don't think so.

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

But 20 baht? No, I don't think so.

Well maybe not for you...I was merely trying to be helpful to a wider audience. But, as they say, "No good deed goes unpunished" or maybe, "no thread is safe from being hijacked".

Cheesy grin to you ????

Joe

Joe

Macro Mae Rim was selling the Mainland Mature, Vintage and Gouda at the old price of 177, last week. Also, Makro sells some especially nice cheddar in 1 kilo blocks at 790. Anchor brand and also some US made mild cheddar at the same price - decent cheese can be found without spending the earth, as MHM has pointed out.

Breston Cheddar: you must mean 350 baht per 200 gms of imported cheese from OZ, not per kilo.

IMO, most cheese is no more than high priced, concentrated animal fat with distinctive smell and taste.  the fat is a known contributor to heart and artery trouble and oops, obesity and persistent constipation.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:36 AM, chingmai331 said:

Just bought a package (200 gms net) of Thai made Feta cheese, packed in brine. I like it; no import taxes and only 155 baht. I also need some salt during the day so this satisfies.

Can buy at Makro and Rimping (some).  

I miss the 1kg can of Bulgarian fetta cheese made from sheep milk back in oz for the same price. not for the faint  hearted  though

43 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Breston Cheddar: you must mean 350 baht per 200 gms of imported cheese from OZ, not per kilo.

IMO, most cheese is no more than high priced, concentrated animal fat with distinctive smell and taste.  the fat is a known contributor to heart and artery trouble and oops, obesity and persistent constipation.

You should look up the latest research on dairy and fats which is contrary to your statement, and anyway who eats great quantities of cheese at a time.

The French, usually regarded as great imbibers of cheeses, dairy and supposed bad fats have one of the lowest heart disease rates in Europe and although the "French Paradox" wasn't what it seemed to be, their rates are still lower than many.

I subscribe to the old saying, "everything in moderation".

17 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I eat cheese all day long and am thin and shit like a champ.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Have to agree that the Vintage stuff is okay , Tasty is not bad but Edam is rubbery ! ( no old Chinese joke intended ).
BUT, it’s the price that’s the downfall for these cheeses.
Makro remains the best bargain for cheese fanatics in LOS but you have to buy 2 kilos to make it worth your while ( 2 kilos !! , okay then emoji51.png).

Thankfully I’m making a cheese run at the weekend back to the Mecca of cheese aficionados ( Yorkshire ), have my cooler bags and ice packs at the ready.
Have already instructed my daughter to fill her bath with melted Wensleydale!, out of the airport, quick drive down the M62 , don my snorkel and flippers and a shallow swan dive from the cold tap into cheese heaven !!

Well it was Wallaces favourite of course (or was it Grommits favourite?)

22 hours ago, sharktooth said:

No. And how do you know if it’s twice as good if you don’t know what you’re comparing it against? ????

That's why I posted the photo.  I was comparing seriously strong cheddar to the NZ Vintage cheddar and the NZ was twice as good as the seriously strong. 

In the UK for a few months earlier this year and I ate huge amounts of outstanding cheese, extra mature cheese from M&S, 500grams, £3, who wouldn't!

But despite the huge intake of fats, my blood tests came back as some of the best I've ever seen in the past ten years, PLUS, I lost 6 kgs during the trip....go figure.

Archived