Cheese, Anyone?

Shoeless Joe

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it was Wallaces favourite of course (or was it Grommits favourite?)

Well it was definitely Wallaces favourite, not sure about Gromit though. I think most dogs will eat any cheese but, one made out of plasticine ? Not sure there ! But we could always start a new thread about it [emoji51]

Some interesting info cropped up while i was searching for your answer.......... prepare yourself !!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6510626/Wallace-and-Gromit-star-Peter-Sallis-confesses-he-cant-stand-Wensleydale-cheese.html

In the UK for a few months earlier this year and I ate huge amounts of outstanding cheese, extra mature cheese from M&S, 500grams, £3, who wouldn't!

But despite the huge intake of fats, my blood tests came back as some of the best I've ever seen in the past ten years, PLUS, I lost 6 kgs during the trip....go figure.

I certainly aim to sample a couple of cheeses on my forthcoming trip !, but I usually walk quite a bit on my visits ( my dads and daughters dogs get plenty of exercise when I’m over) and do seem to lose a bit of weight myself.

The problem is coming back over here with a suitcase full of cheese and very little walking !!
Will have to increase my cycling !

14 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

In the UK for a few months earlier this year and I ate huge amounts of outstanding cheese, extra mature cheese from M&S, 500grams, £3, who wouldn't!

But despite the huge intake of fats, my blood tests came back as some of the best I've ever seen in the past ten years, PLUS, I lost 6 kgs during the trip....go figure.

You lucky man...……..maybe I can substitute the 5+2 diet for a full time cheese one!

• 9 months later...

Long time no info on this post but here is some update...

I just bought a biiiiiiig 1kg bloc of Aussie mature cheddar at Gecko garden restaurant for 275 Baht, in promotion this week...  I love it!

This promotion will end soon, but they do have frequent cheese offers on their Facebook page.

1 hour ago, kiaora1968 said:

I just bought a biiiiiiig 1kg bloc of Aussie mature cheddar at Gecko garden restaurant for 275 Baht, in promotion this week...  I love it!

This promotion will end soon, but they do have frequent cheese offers on their Facebook page.

One kilo of excellent Havarti for 275 baht from the same source. They have some great Cheese promotions,have also had the Aussie cheddar and Danish Blue is very tasty and inexpensive.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:02 AM, FolkGuitar said:

We made 1/2 kilo of fresh cheese last Sunday.  Made a herbed Garlic/Dill, the texture of a very firm sliceable Feta (rather than crumbly) that was delicious. So much so, we finished it in two days, sliced on Ritz crackers.  Milk and fresh herbs from Rimping, rennet from E-bay,  cheese cloth from YOK.

Fresh cheeses are VERY easy to make at home. This one took just about three hours total time, including the waiting between steps, perhaps 30 minutes actual working time. Farmer Cheese, Feta, Mozzarella, herb cheese spreads... all just about as easy to make at home.  Nothing like really fresh Mozzarella in a Caprese salad or melted on a baguette!

Almost all the milk in Thailand is reconstituted and can't be used to make cheese.  I'm interested in what kind of milk you used to make mozzarella.  I had to go to the university dairy and get the non pasteurized stuff before I had any success.

You can order decent mozzarella here if you live out that way.

https://taladin-market.com/contact-us/

4 hours ago, luther said:

Almost all the milk in Thailand is reconstituted and can't be used to make cheese.  I'm interested in what kind of milk you used to make mozzarella.  I had to go to the university dairy and get the non pasteurized stuff before I had any success.

You can order decent mozzarella here if you live out that way.

https://taladin-market.com/contact-us/

Goat's mike for the Feta cheese, cow's milk for the mozzarella.

Both bought at the CMU shop.

That said, we often make Farmer's cheese and soft cheese spreads using ordinary bottles of mike from Tops and Rimping. It just takes more Rennet or lemon juice than usual.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:09 PM, simoh1490 said:

That's because cheese especially Cheddar is very low carb and recommended in keto diets .No surprise you lost weight an of course you weren't eating White rice daily that's extremely high carb

4 hours ago, luther said:

Almost all the milk in Thailand is reconstituted and can't be used to make cheese.

The milk at the Thai-Danish milk factory in Chiang Mai (opposite the zoo) appears to be real as they will sell it raw.

I was out cycling the other day an saw a pickup full of milk churns collecting from the farms.

49 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Sell raw milk?  Sounds very foolish.  Far too many ignorant people here, and many diseases might be found in raw milk.

I like it, caught nothing so far (that I can tell).

130bht for 5Kg, only lasts for 3 days, so I have to freeze most of it.

Always amazed at the posters on this forum, who live here, and do not ask the local people where to buy things.

Always the same same "Tops, Rimping, Makro, ..."

Boggles the mind.

Raw milk bad for you - 555

Brainwashing at its finest - brought to you by the Big Dairy i.e. Big Pharma, et al

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Always amazed at the posters on this forum, who live here, and do not ask the local people where to buy things.

Always the same same "Tops, Rimping, Makro, ..."

Boggles the mind.

Raw milk bad for you - 555

Brainwashing at its finest - brought to you by the Big Dairy i.e. Big Pharma, et al

Although no one has asked where to buy cheese from , posters are discussing the cheese they have bought

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Sell raw milk?  Sounds very foolish.  Far too many ignorant people here, and many diseases might be found in raw milk.

Cook it and make cheese?  Of course no problem with bacteria but i can't advise drinking raw milk.

I never knew 'churn' was a noun.  A UK specialty. 

We buy milk from them to make yogurt. They tell you both in the office when you pay and also the guy in the dairy where you pick up the milk, that you need to boil the milk before using it. Hard to not know when two people tell you.

13 minutes ago, elektrified said:

We buy milk from them to make yogurt. They tell you both in the office when you pay and also the guy in the dairy where you pick up the milk, that you need to boil the milk before using it. Hard to not know when two people tell you.

You need to boil RAW milk before making yogurt, but it's fine as it is for drinking or making cheese.

Sorry britman, but you are confused, and ignorant of both microbiology and fermentation processes.

No one is stopping you from drinking raw milk, or drinking urine (also recommended by some health nutters). Some folks handle rattlesnakes in hopes of gaining an eternal and happy life close to god.  good luck to you! 

45 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Sorry britman, but you are confused, and ignorant of both microbiology and fermentation processes.

No one is stopping you from drinking raw milk, or drinking urine (also recommended by some health nutters). Some folks handle rattlesnakes in hopes of gaining an eternal and happy life close to god.  good luck to you! 

another on ignore.

Cook it and make cheese?  Of course no problem with bacteria but i can't advise drinking raw milk.
I never knew 'churn' was a noun.  A UK specialty. 
Available for consumption in England, Wales and N. Ireland
Must be bought from the farm of origin not an outlet

Some make the case that it is a "super food" with many healthy properties that are lost after pasteurisation......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

FolkG.  Plz inform the dictionary people of the change.  Here is what i read:

CHURN

noun

a container or machine in which cream or milk is agitated to make butter.
any of various containers or machines similar in shape or action to a butter churn, as a device for mixing beverages.
British. a large milk can.
an act of churning stocks by a stockbroker.

47 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

FolkG.  Plz inform the dictionary people of the change.  Here is what i read:

CHURN

noun

a container or machine in which cream or milk is agitated to make butter.
any of various containers or machines similar in shape or action to a butter churn, as a device for mixing beverages.
British. a large milk can.
an act of churning stocks by a stockbroker.

With 3,786 different publishers of dictionaries, which ones would you like me to contact?  Not new to North Americas, I grew up calling metal milk containers 'churns,' so it dates back in the US at least 70 years.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:06 PM, kiaora1968 said:

Agreed - Great deals at Gecko Garden with different bulk cheese specials each week.  Emmenthal particularly outstanding.  Excellent prices on salami, ham and other smoked meats as well!

16 hours ago, MamaSan said:

Agreed - Great deals at Gecko Garden with different bulk cheese specials each week.  Emmenthal particularly outstanding.  Excellent prices on salami, ham and other smoked meats as well!

+1

I always get the Aussie Smoked Cheddar, really tasty and cheap (compared to the shops).

Archived