BANGKOK
Shoeless Joe

Cheese, Anyone?

Post would have no purpose in Chang Mai forum...deleted

Edited by CanuckThai

Well it was Wallaces favourite of course (or was it Grommits favourite?)

Well it was definitely Wallaces favourite, not sure about Gromit though. I think most dogs will eat any cheese but, one made out of plasticine ? Not sure there ! But we could always start a new thread about it

Some interesting info cropped up while i was searching for your answer.......... prepare yourself !!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6510626/Wallace-and-Gromit-star-Peter-Sallis-confesses-he-cant-stand-Wensleydale-cheese.html
  • Like 1

In the UK for a few months earlier this year and I ate huge amounts of outstanding cheese, extra mature cheese from M&S, 500grams, £3, who wouldn't!

But despite the huge intake of fats, my blood tests came back as some of the best I've ever seen in the past ten years, PLUS, I lost 6 kgs during the trip....go figure.

I certainly aim to sample a couple of cheeses on my forthcoming trip !, but I usually walk quite a bit on my visits ( my dads and daughters dogs get plenty of exercise when I’m over) and do seem to lose a bit of weight myself.

The problem is coming back over here with a suitcase full of cheese and very little walking !!
Will have to increase my cycling !
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

In the UK for a few months earlier this year and I ate huge amounts of outstanding cheese, extra mature cheese from M&S, 500grams, £3, who wouldn't!

But despite the huge intake of fats, my blood tests came back as some of the best I've ever seen in the past ten years, PLUS, I lost 6 kgs during the trip....go figure.

You lucky man...……..maybe I can substitute the 5+2 diet for a full time cheese one!

• Like 1

Long time no info on this post but here is some update...

I just bought a biiiiiiig 1kg bloc of Aussie mature cheddar at Gecko garden restaurant for 275 Baht, in promotion this week...  I love it!

This promotion will end soon, but they do have frequent cheese offers on their Facebook page.

• Thanks 1

Beston cheddar, 350bht/Kg, nice in sandwiches, on biscuits or as toasted cheese.

beston.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kiaora1968 said:

Long time no info on this post but here is some update...

I just bought a biiiiiiig 1kg bloc of Aussie mature cheddar at Gecko garden restaurant for 275 Baht, in promotion this week...  I love it!

This promotion will end soon, but they do have frequent cheese offers on their Facebook page.

One kilo of excellent Havarti for 275 baht from the same source. They have some great Cheese promotions,have also had the Aussie cheddar and Danish Blue is very tasty and inexpensive.

• Like 2

2.27kg block of Pauly Mild Cheddar for Bt.225 from Siamburi's goes ok....... makes lovely toasted sammiches.

70121985_2333049313625340_62656449602429

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

2.27kg block of Pauly Mild Cheddar for Bt.225 from Siamburi's goes ok....... makes lovely toasted sammiches.

I'm sure it does, but this is the ChiangMai forum hahaha

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 8:02 AM, FolkGuitar said:

We made 1/2 kilo of fresh cheese last Sunday.  Made a herbed Garlic/Dill, the texture of a very firm sliceable Feta (rather than crumbly) that was delicious. So much so, we finished it in two days, sliced on Ritz crackers.  Milk and fresh herbs from Rimping, rennet from E-bay,  cheese cloth from YOK.

Fresh cheeses are VERY easy to make at home. This one took just about three hours total time, including the waiting between steps, perhaps 30 minutes actual working time. Farmer Cheese, Feta, Mozzarella, herb cheese spreads... all just about as easy to make at home.  Nothing like really fresh Mozzarella in a Caprese salad or melted on a baguette!

Almost all the milk in Thailand is reconstituted and can't be used to make cheese.  I'm interested in what kind of milk you used to make mozzarella.  I had to go to the university dairy and get the non pasteurized stuff before I had any success.

You can order decent mozzarella here if you live out that way.

https://taladin-market.com/contact-us/

16 hours ago, kiaora1968 said:

I'm sure it does, but this is the ChiangMai forum hahaha

Hahahaha, my bad I missed the ChiangMai part !!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, luther said:

Almost all the milk in Thailand is reconstituted and can't be used to make cheese.  I'm interested in what kind of milk you used to make mozzarella.  I had to go to the university dairy and get the non pasteurized stuff before I had any success.

You can order decent mozzarella here if you live out that way.

https://taladin-market.com/contact-us/

Goat's mike for the Feta cheese, cow's milk for the mozzarella.

Both bought at the CMU shop.

That said, we often make Farmer's cheese and soft cheese spreads using ordinary bottles of mike from Tops and Rimping. It just takes more Rennet or lemon juice than usual.

Edited by FolkGuitar

On 11/16/2018 at 7:09 PM, simoh1490 said:

That's because cheese especially Cheddar is very low carb and recommended in keto diets .No surprise you lost weight an of course you weren't eating White rice daily that's extremely high carb

4 hours ago, luther said:

Almost all the milk in Thailand is reconstituted and can't be used to make cheese.

The milk at the Thai-Danish milk factory in Chiang Mai (opposite the zoo) appears to be real as they will sell it raw.

I was out cycling the other day an saw a pickup full of milk churns collecting from the farms.