Aluminium Thief Caught On Thepprasit Road..........

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: February 16th 2007

Thief Caught Carrying Stolen Aluminium

On the 16th of February at 12.45am Pattaya Police were informed that a suspicious Thai man was riding a dark, old motorbike with aluminium on board along Thappraya Road towards Thepprasit Road.

Police sent out a squad and they quickly apprehended this “Steptoe and Son” character on Thepprasit Road.

Police checked the aluminium which had been cunningly cut into small bits in order to conceal and transport.

The driver was identified as Siripong Sanjit, aged 24, who confessed to police that the aluminum had been stolen by his friend from a hotel on Pratamnak Hill and he intended to sell it for a profit.

The offender was taken to Pattaya Police Station where he confessed that earlier he and his friend were drinking 40 percent white whisky and it was during this cunning exchange of merriment and dialog that the deal was thought out.

The offender has been charged with theft and Police are now looking for his friend.

Blimey. I understand that aluminium is one of the more lucrative things to recycle. Imagine how little money those rubbish pickers make in a day. We have one or two in our soi, one tugs my heart strings so much. He meanders along, stops in the middle of the road for a bang on his glue bag then off he goes. Our car is usually a pit of paper and bottles, so if I see him I invite him to clear the car for us and slip him 50 baht or so. What a life.

Are you sure about that OneeyedJohn? One kilogram of (empty) beer Chang cans comprises 64 cans; I've just weighed up a kilo then counted them (I was bored). The answer was 64. I don't think Singha would use more aluminium than is strictly necessary so they probably weigh 15.625 gm each as well. 15.625 X 64 = 1,000 gm.

And another thing, whoever is buying your empty Singha cans is ripping you off. I get 30 Baht per kilogram for my empty Chang cans from my local rag-and-bone man (maybe a better class of aluminium?). And I know he gets 40 Baht per kilo from the local waste re-cycling centre. And who knows what THEY make on the deal! Aluminium might be quite valuable if you know who to sell it to :o . Rgds Bob

As sure as one can be using Thai scales, each can weighed 0.025 Kg.

Chang is cheap and cheerful as are the cans :D

Edit: Just thought perhaps you are removing the flip top :o which are are also very useful in making prosthetic limbs.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

Hey mate! My Danish neighbour does remove the flip tops and he swears he has been offered something like 900 Baht per kilo just for THEM. He says he has been told by his beer merchant that it is purer aluminium than you find in the cans alone. I don't believe him, of course! Must be some sort of scam going on here, because it is only the guy who sells him the full beer cans who made the offer. BTW he has yet to make a claim because he hasn't emptied enough cans yet. Think about it. :o Rgds Bob

PS. going back to the down-stairs fridge now to produce some more raw material for my rag-and-bone man :D !