Woman bought house for 25 million - but it's so bad she can't even live there!

webfact

4pm.jpg

It is often said that you get what you pay for - but that would fall on deaf ears when it comes to the experience of a Thai woman who bought a very expensive house in a development in Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok. 

"Kimchi Kim" paid 25 million baht for a three story luxury home at The Gentry on Soi 101 - a development built by SC Asset.

But since the purchase in June she has not even been able to move in. 

There are leaks everywhere and mold all over the wallpaper.

And cracks have appeared throughout the property, reported Sanook.  

She said that she is now locked into a 30 year mortgage with no end in sight to the problems. 

She posted that she had checked and double checked the house and believed the site engineers when they said that initial problems with the damp were caused by nearby vegetation. 

She trusted the good name of the company to deliver.

Now she said that she only has 7 months more of insurance before she will have to start paying for repairs herself. 

"It's the worst decision of my life," she lamented. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-14

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a mate who paid nearly 20 million for his house. It's in a great location and it certainly looks very nice. But look deeper and it's just a cheaply built house with a nice exterior and over-sized rooms which waste space. And he has mold, too.

If you have the money to buy an expensive house, you should have the money to have it checked before. 

All construction in Thailand is immensely p... poor,.. unbelievable,.. condos wall are way too thin,.. no sound proofing,. The windows and doors are cheap as heck,... front exit doors even have gaps,.. amazing,..You can hear people sneeze outside and neighbopurs fart. 

The villas and houses around are the same,.. 10 years and repairs starts to set in,,... properties looks like they’re 30 years and not 10,.. 
Had a roof leak here in Hua Hin recently,.. discovered the roof was nothing but the tiles,.. OMG,... that means one tile slightly off and you have leak an repairs in the thousands,.. 

I would never buy a condo/villa in Thailand for even the third of what their asking,.. NEVER!,.. lololol,..... 

Have to build it myself then,.. 

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

She didn't pay any Cambodian to build the house, instead she paid 25 million to a "reputable" company

That ‘reputable’ company will be employing 150 baht a day Cambodian tradesman .... when was the last time you see a Thai on a building site ? 

34 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

That ‘reputable’ company will be employing 150 baht a day Cambodian tradesman .... when was the last time you see a Thai on a building site ? 

When my house was build it were all Thai tradesman, but that's not the subject of the thread

Who the company employs is the least of woman's concern, and she has also no control over this, because she paid 25 million to a reputable company and expected to receive a house that reflected that price in quality.

The lady who paid the money didn't employ anyone.

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

Looks like the builder who"s company built my house,and he is an expat,those most of his workers were on yaba,would never do it again.

We had a gang of 4 one day, one asleep at the back presumed hang over, one pissed off to watch muay thai on the tv, one doing a bit of sweeping up and another one who the wife questioned. Are you drunk she asked him, his reply was of course I am, how can work if not drunk!

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Have a mate who paid nearly 20 million for his house. It's in a great location and it certainly looks very nice. But look deeper and it's just a cheaply built house with a nice exterior and over-sized rooms which waste space. And he has mold, too.

If you have the money to buy an expensive house, you should have the money to have it checked before. 

he has mold because he can't afford airconditioning.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Had a Thai builder construct our house in Rayong. That was ten years ago and no problems at all. Excellent work.

same here. 13 years and no problems. Thailand is no different from any other country, you get what you pay for!

Just now, webfact said:

Yeah, that's exactly how I would buy a house for 25 million: "You want to buy old house, very cheap today, only 25 million, a bargain..." - Me: "Yes, sure, here's the money... Will have a look at the house later."

Prime example of Thai naiveté and lack of education (having passed through the local school system)... ????

17 minutes ago, Naam said:

same here. 13 years and no problems. Thailand is no different from any other country, you get what you pay for!

What did the lady get for her 25 million? Cracking, mould and a leaky roof. I guess she should have spent more for quality.

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

When paying high prices for so-called upmarket housing, don`t they have such things as surveyors in Thailand? If I were considering paying 25 MIL for a house, I would definitely have the land, buildings and area surveyed prior to signing any contracts. 

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Or buy it somewhere with building standards and a guarantee that is actually real.

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What did the lady get for her 25 million? Cracking, mould and a leaky roof. I guess she should have spent more for quality.

my comment was meant for this:

ThorD72    76

Posted 5 hours ago

All construction in Thailand is immensely p... poor,.. unbelievable,.. condos wall are way too thin,.. no sound proofing,. The windows and doors are cheap as heck,... front exit doors even have gaps,.. amazing,..You can hear people sneeze outside and neighbopurs fart. 

The villas and houses around are the same,.. 10 years and repairs starts to set in,,... properties looks like they’re 30 years and not 10,.

I know a buiding inspector and he told me never buy a new house. Get one thats a few years old and you will see if there is any settlement or cracks or any other problems. The builder can be contacted so you can get the info if there were any warranty claims, which here in Perth is for 10 years.

6 hours ago, Naam said:

and think of all the poor sods who don't have any money to invest in houses and condos here...

It gets boring to read statements like yours sometimes. A lot of people don't want to buy poor quality real estate which they don't even own. Some would rather still have it in their own country and reap the benefits of full ownership while enjoying the benefits of the first world country should they decide to ever go back.

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Looks like the builder who"s company built my house,and he is an expat,those most of his workers were on yaba,would never do it again.

Some nice houses where I am. Most owned by government officials and police. They look OK as you drive by. But they are outnumbered 100 to 1 by the ones with corrugated tin roofs and no windows.

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

If it is new build and coloured it'will be hard to find a problem. This come out first after some month or in/after the raining time.

Archived